Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2012, 12:33   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Somebody start a match thread........

Accept a little of what your saying,but take Molyneux for example,he's played left back all his career,indeed for England at junior level.Because of off field problems,he's missed a season of football,as well as a good pre season.
He needs 20-30 games to get him upto speed,in terms of fitness as well as pace.
He will have dips in form trying to get there,but believe me,he can become a massive asset to Acci.
Dean is a different story,he's not been fit for 12 months,and was foolish to play
To say he can't play fullback is really disrespectful.
His first season,he got player of the year,his second season made the play offs and third season was on the fringes of the play offs before injury finally caught up with him.
When he missed the second half of last season they never kept a clean sheet!.
At present he's still miles away from we're he wants to be in terms of performance,speed and mobility,but,touch wood,he's slowly getting there.
The other other chestnut which people forget is we're you are going to get better players for the money being paid?.
I think the team will only get better as we play a settled side and not keep chopping and changing and filling it with loanees.
I think Liddle is the un-lucky one at present,and I still have high hopes for Toto,but its Miller who I am excited about,get him signed up on a minimum two year deal URGENT !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-11-2012, 12:56   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Miller to me is a must, to go on to greater things, definitely needs at least a 2 yr contract. also agree about Liddle, Toto to me can be a good un if his heads right.
Old 17-11-2012, 13:21   #48
Senior Member+

Agreed Miller needs another year putting on his contract asap !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 16:04   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
With fullbacks have caught your eye both offensively and defensively in the last couple of seasons?
!
Jon Bateson
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 16:58   #50
Senior Member+

I presume you were a season ticket holder at Macclesfield redraine ,as its two years since Jon last played for Acci !.I wouldn't like to comment on Jon as I haven't seen him play over that period, and he only played 12 league games and in the his last 3 we conceded 12!.
Me and his dad have spoke on numerous occasions and I still maintain he is an unlucky player.
I still believe he was released to allow murph to develop,and the way he's playing it wasn't a bad call.
IMHO Jon would have progressed playing centre back,but like Dean,he couldn't force his way in there.
I try to follow his progress,but this season I haven't spoken to his dad,so I wouldn't comment on his development,although someone said he wasn't playing,so acci might get him for a knock down price!!
Old 17-11-2012, 18:56   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I presume you were a season ticket holder at Macclesfield redraine ,as its two years since Jon last played for Acci !
Ooops. Now,now no need to get sarky! Doesn't time fly when you're having a good time....or not.
Old 17-11-2012, 20:24   #52

I don’t think my points have been taken at face value.

Molyneux clearly fits the bill at left-back (btw, didn’t realise he had so much experience there, thought he had played more in midfield), but since he can also beat a man and whip in a decent cross, my point was that he would be better employed left midfield in the system that we use. Why we don’t use the Liddle-Molyneux combo down the left is a bit of a puzzle, but if Leam wants to play Lee at left-back then we have to cope with the limitations of playing a striker in the more advanced wide position.

As for being disrespectful about Dean, I was trying to avoid naming names, but the reference to a forward looking out of sorts at right-back was about Craig Lindfield, who has never convinced me there, but then again, why should we expect a lad who has played up front all his career to suddenly fit in at right-back? As for Dean, of course he has nothing to prove. We’re lucky to have him and we all hope that he can avoid any further injury and regain full match fitness. That said, would you not agree that Dean is a natural born centre-half?

As for getting better players for the wages we pay, my point was that if the price of bringing in a player or two is that we have to trim the squad by the same amount, then that might be a gamble worth taking. Not because there are better players out there available for the same money (there might be, but finding them is difficult), but because we haven’t quite got the balance of the squad right. We’re not far off, but until we get there we will remain reliant on loanees, and I agree that it’s always preferable to develop your own players rather than play loanees.

Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 21:24   #53
Senior Member+

Very constructive post Phil,think playing Lee in midfield would mean going4-4-2,which teams seem to shy away from for different reasons.He's not really suited to playing in the "three",were you have to be attack minded as well interchangeable.
Must admit Gray was impressive there,hope he backs it up with consistency.
I can understand why Linney has had a run at fullback,he's one of the fittest players on the books so getting up and down the flank was no problem for him and technically he's very good.
It's just defending that caught him out,and this was really just down to inexperience,personally I wouldn't hesitate giving him another run,although I think playing him in the three is a better option.
I think Dean will eventually become a centre back if given the chance,but he's behind Murph ,who for a young lad is doing brilliantly and is getting better so it will be tough.
Ps - Atkinson looks a good player as well,what pace he lacks,he makes up in his head,impressed
Old 17-11-2012, 23:00   #54
Resting in Peace

Entertaining account from Barnet:-

So here's how I saw it.

First of all, ED is useless. Not because he had a poor game, (he did), or because he was sent off, (fairly in my opinion), but simply because he either keeps losing the toss pre- kick off, or if he wins it, is not choosing to play downhill 2nd half.

Anyway.

We played the 451/433 that we are used to seeing.

The good news is that Stephens & Pearce played at the back, (I was sure that Pearce was suspended but shush about that). More good news is that Edgar was nowhere to be seen and Nurse played on the right flank. The best news of all however was that Ricky was finally fit to start and played on the left flank. The bad news.... Well I was looking forward to seeing Johnson so that's a bit of a shame, (although I don't dislike Brown), and Oster was still out. The bench is still not sufficiently sturdy to support Collins John however. More good than bad though so can't complain.

I thought we started really well. We really attacked well down the right and some of the link-up play between Jake and Nurse.... well it's been a while since we've seen stuff like that. I'm becoming quite a fan of Jakes actually, (just needs more goals). he was very dominant against Atkinson and he just plays very very very very intelligently. Nurse looked a threat and not just with the ball. He made loads of good runs off the ball that either were not hit or just not seen, and he kept posession and linked play really well. On the other side it looked as if Ricky had their right back on toast. Winnard isn't rubbish, but Ricky made him look just so so so pedestrian. To my mind we looked really dangerous, but Nurse needs to properly bust a gut when Ricky has the ball on the opposite flank and maybe jake could be more forceful in attacking the near post. (He knows that's where Ricky is going to put the ball so.....)

Despite us not really being troubled at the back, (Stephens and Pearce looked completely at ease), we were not really firing in the middle. None of the 3 in the middle were playing well. Clovinho was gone and Clovis was back. Don't get me wrong. He wasn't awful but... well he wasn't great either. We were dominant it seemed and his strengths were sort of superfluous to requirements, (or so it seemed). Byrne was working hard and trying to get on the ball but in comparison to the front 3, his first touch was poor, he looked a little lightweight, and he was just a little off it. He wasn't shocking. It just wasn't happening for him. ED was poor by his standards. To be honest he was poor by anyone's standards. His 1st touch was poor, (yes \I said that), and he just looked out of sorts. Still, the way the front 3 looked so far it was all good.

Ricky was tearing Atkinson apart and Nurse and Jake were combining well but despite a few pieces of good play and getting into dangerous areas, the one real chance was missed when Nurse seemed to hit the keeper and Byrne smashed the rebound against the bar after the whistle had already blown for a foul by Nurse.

Half-time came with the score at 0-0 and I thought it was simply a matter of time... and then we made the double substitution.......

I have been very critical of Anthony Edgar when I have seen him this season, but, BUT B.U.T. what Curtis Weston showed me, (and by the way I am very well aware that he is a decent player), was.... well it was appalling. He couldn't control the ball. He couldn't pass the ball. He couldn't look to see where he wanted to pass the ball before he passed the ball. He couldn't hold his man off in order to keep the ball., He couldn't jump in the air to win the ball. God he was poor. When I say poor I mean REALLY poor. He was badder than a bad thing from Badville. Anyway, ED had gone to the holding role and Weston and Byrne were together in the middle. The other sub was Fortune, (sigh). Can someone tell Robsin/Davids that Saville's first name is not Jimmy please. If he's not dead then why the hell was he not on the bench ahead of Fortune? Meh! Fortune was blowing hard by the time he had run from the sideline to take his place beside Pearce and it sort of set the tone for the 2nd half.

Where as Pearce and Stephens seem to communicate quite well together and look like a solid unit, Fortune seems intent to tell Pearce where he wants him to be and what he wants him to do and then eventually drags his weary frame into somewhere near where he should be. Where as Stephens and Pearce stay on their feet, Fortune goes to ground, (especially after headers), because he was not in the correct position when attempting to win the ball. I know he's poor. I knew he was poor before tonight. What I didn't realise was quite how poor. If Saville can please extracate himself from whichever part of the M25 he is stuck on, (he seems to spend half his life there), then can he play next week please if Stephens is out? Please. Pretty please?

From dominating the game and looking comfortable, Stanley were now dominant, (and no it wasn't just the slope). They got in behind Fortune at will and completely bossed the middle. ED seemed to be doing ok in front of the back but they were not playing intricate football so what exactly was his purpose sitting there? Nurse was now a perhiperal figure and the service to Jake was significantly poorer. Ricky was working hard, (but tiring), and Weston. Oh my God Weston! I know he's a good player. How can a decent & reasonable footballer play so poorly and look like... well look like he wouldn't get in the old pub team I used to play for? He made poor Anthony Edgar look like a World beater. I'm trying to think of words here but..... I have none. He was that bad.

They scored when Fortune didn't deal with a rubbish long ball and ended up on the deck again, Boco did well to hold off Brown. Stack made a good save and the rebound hit Bocu who accidently knocked it past Stack and stroked home into an empty net. It was a bad bad bad bad goal to concede.

Our penalty looked soft to me but maybe we will all have a better opinion when we see it on TV. I think it was Ricky who was fouled and he seemed to be the only one who appealed. In any case, we are probably due a bit of luck. Byrne stroked his pen into the right corner and what looked like a good save was denied by the ref as he gave another penalty. I couldn't tell if there had been another foul or if he was making them re-take it for encroachment or moving early, but either way there are rumours that he said, "we are taking it again and again and will keep taking it until Byrne scores". lol Anyway, Byrne struck the 2nd pen with more force into the same spot and we were 1-1.

ED was shown a 2nd yellow card for 1 of 4 fouls that he made that could have resulted in a booking. Was it harsh? Well only if you are a Bee. He is a big name and he gives away a lot of that sort of free-kick. Refs don't like them and that's why he gets booked. I think I would have sent him off tonight too. .

Ricky seemed to be struggling late on with cramp and was withdrawn. God we are a different team with him playing. I thought Nurse made a positive difference too. He and Jake really did look impressive in the first half.

What else?

Oh yeah. On the injury front, Steve Kabba can at least walk.

On the fat front, Collins John actually looked reasonably trim, (but lets see him on the pitch for 20 mins as a sub please). Jake was shattered in the 2nd half and as good as he was in the 1st half, he was completely anonymous late on.
Apologies for such a long update but there has been many an occasion when I have not been able to attend and wish someone had written their opinions like this and I know for example that Karl wasn't able to go tonight so if for nobody else then I hope Karl enjoys this.

ps. We are out of the relegation zone.

COYB's!

pps. I have just realised that I haven't mentioned Stack or the 2 full-backs. I am a real fan of Barry's and I though he was good again tonight and in particular there was one heart in mouth moment when he stretched full length to make a terrific tackle in the area with them about to stroke home, (after Fortune had again gone to ground and not won the ball).

Jordan Brown is decent but he just needs to believe in himself a little more. He seems very hesitant to attack and even if he makes the wrong choice he has the pace to get himself back. Barry attacks very well and I would love to see Jordan learn from him.

Stack did ok but to be honest there was little to do. He made the save for the goal and was unlucky with the rebound, He half-flapped half-punched another in teh 2nd half which was eventually cleared. I just wish he would be more dominant in instructing the centre-backs. He seems quiet incomparison to other keepers. Wee seem very quiet as a whole tea, actually.

Feel free to disagree by the way.
I know that all the stats available state that he has 2 senior International Caps for Holland, but is it possible that he stole them, or maybe even just picked them up at a car-boot sale or something?
Jimbokav1971

Old 18-11-2012, 07:58   #55
Senior Member+

And I thought Acci fans could moan!!!,good read and pretty accurate,but what he fails to mention is that it's a lot easier running down a hill than up one !!,There wide men were very quick over 5 yards and could go both ways,with the centre forward being a handful,but the reality was we defended the second balls and Bav never had a save to make.
Murph was the spare man and swept up behind Atkinson and both fullbacks dealt with crosses from the opposite wings,could this be Leams influence??,time will tell
Old 20-11-2012, 17:28   #56
Senior Member+

Highlights on Sky:
Sky Sports | Video | Football | League Two | Accrington Stanley

And if you want to see the sending off incident again (and again and again...):
GIF: Edgar Davids sent off for Barnet against Accrington Stanley | 101GG Football news
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..