Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 08:42   #1

Stanley Juniors - Ideas from Other Clubs

Many apologies if there is also some scheme like this already going at Stanley that I don't know about (which is highly likely !), but as I don't live in the area and can generally only attend away matches, I wanted to try to help as much as I could by at least seeing what we might be able to borrow in the way of ideas from other clubs.

This posting has been blatantly copied direct from the Torquay United site in response to the cost of a child being a "mascot" for the day (which I know Stanley have), but the writer goes on to talk about what happens at Doncaster Rovers in relation to children (the next generation of Stanley supporters), and I was wondering if there is anything which we could usefully take from this ?

TAKEN FROM THE TORQUAY WEBSITE (sorry about the alignment - am no computer expert here ! )

<TABLE class=bordercolor style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=top align=left><TABLE class=bordercolor style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=top align=left>
Quote:
OK here's an alternative perspective, and one that I have first hand experience off as it is my job, and also why I have been so busy for the last few weeks I have hardly posted.....

At Doncaster Rovers the matchday mascot package is totally free, and this includes 1 child and 2 adult match tickets, stadium tour, free 6 x 4 colour photo of the picture with the captains and also a disk with all the pictures of their day on. 9 times out of 10 we will also get them a photo with their fav player, always a photo with the fluffy mascot (donny dog) and all they have to do is wear there kit (and it can be any kit not just this seasons).

HOWEVER the only way to be a mascot is to join the "Junior Rovers" club. This costs £5 per year and for each game we draw out upto 4 kids to be mascots. There are also other benefits to joining like a team poster, pin badge, signed birthday card & membership card, plus we run other social events like last weeks "Spooky Skate" party at the local ice rink.

At present we have about 350 kids enrolled in Junior Rovers and this is growing. On balance the whole thing just about pays for itself and is helped because we get sponsorship and support from businesses (i.e. the ice rink gave us the venue free for the Google Page Ranking).

What we gain as a club is not just the (massive) goodwill of the 350 members and their families, but we have all their fanilies data on our database so we can mailshot them with upcoming events, kit launches, etc that bring in money. Junior Rovers also get a discount in the club shop and we track how much they & their family spend (cos they show their membership card) and trust me its a substantial amount.

As I said this kind of breaks even over the year, and all it takes is someone to have a bit of vision and time and effort to get it up and running. Although I am employed by the club, Junior Rovers only takes up about 5 hours a week of my time and I am helped on matchdays by 3 volunteers who sign up new members, run the ground toursm etc. Now OK we can make the hard £65 by doing a direct sell, but I ask which would you rather have - a few disgruntled parents and about £1500 of income or 350 very happy parents and the same amount?

This is just one example of many things that our club could do so much better without any massive expense or risk, simply by employing a professional person and having the vision, desire and positive attitude to marketing the club which we just dont have. Lets hope Mr Roberts is able to sort it out in the summer....

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom>Back to top </TD><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom align=left>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bordercolor style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom>Back to top </TD><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom align=left>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom>Back to top </TD><TD class=windowbg2 vAlign=bottom align=left>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15   #2
God Member

Re: Stanley Juniors - Ideas from Other Clubs

It is a cracking idea, and it is a simple (ish idea) it just needs somebody with time, energy and a love of the club to crack a few skulls and get on with it. I suspect that ASFC would have the short term gain of £80 a match but we all know the best bet is to get the junior reds going. I definitley haven't got the time (and screaming kids aaaaarrrghh) but somebody must have. OSC will run the paperwork and finances if somebody would step forward with the will and desire to do it.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:27   #3
God Member

It would probably be too much for one person Macca but I'd be willing to be on sort of a sub-committee to help get it off the ground again - any other volunteers?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51   #4
Senior Member+

Yea wouldn't mind helping out when I can

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..