Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree156Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2014, 11:21   #166
Senior Member+

Re: Stanley's next manager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
What will Bell's role be? Sorry - I'm old-fashioned and don't really understand the difference between a coach and a manager. With our limited finances, how can we afford a manager, assistant manager (whose role is??) and first team coach.

And as a second part to your question, I thought I had given a hint already when I said that Paul always seemed to me to be a gentleman.
The reason Lodgy left was it was taking up the majority of his time,so Coley and Bell have replaced Beattie and Lodgy.
You can have more than one first team coach !!.
on a side issue,i hope you paid to get on at Oxford !!!,
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2014, 11:27   #167

Quote:
Thanks for that information. A pity that the club did not see fit to tell us and to thank him for his work. After all, we do thank players who have been with us for only a month.
New First Team Coach Appointed - Accrington Stanley FCAccrington Stanley FC

Did you miss this and it was discussed on here?
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:04   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Disagree, it's not his team and under Beattie everyone could see it was short of quality, Beattie had not recruited well.

The time to judge Coleman is next December, when we will be sitting near the playoffs ready to pounce.

No Dav, afraid your wrong!

Next December is too late. I'll judge him on whether he keeps us up this season. He will have failed it we don't stay up. football management is a cruel occupation.
DAV007 likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:11   #169
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
No Dav, afraid your wrong!

Next December is too late. I'll judge him on whether he keeps us up this season. He will have failed it we don't stay up. football management is a cruel occupation.
I belive the going rate for a judgment on a Manager's ability is 10 games ......well it was with others .............
DaveinGermany likes this.
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:27   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
Yes, indeed. I did miss that. Apologies to all. Sackcloth and ashes!!!
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 12:33   #171
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
on a side issue,i hope you paid to get on at Oxford !!!,
Nope, didn't pay. Was just about to do so when some geezer came up and thrust a ticket into my hand. And then walked off before I could thank him properly. If you know who it was, please let me know and I'll buy him a pint next time we meet.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 14:09   #172
Senior Member+

i apologize RR,i am murder for not putting names to faces!,I recognized you
and spent all game working it out (which was more interesting than the game )
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 15:39   #173
God Member

Quote:
Nope, didn't pay. Was just about to do so when some geezer came up and thrust a ticket into my hand. And then walked off before I could thank him properly. If you know who it was, please let me know and I'll buy him a pint next time we meet.
And here I was thinking it was only Oxford who were given gifts that night!
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 18:41   #174
Senior Member+

At the end of the day all fans want the same things in a manager , passion , a love of the club , commitment, attractive football , getting the best out of footballers and more importantly results!!

James Beattie has non of this , Coleman does.

James Beatties win percentage 27% . John Coleman's win percentage 40%.

What more do you want in a manager? We're going to find no one who is ever going to work so hard for the club in the bear future. Using a footballing brain , Coleman is the man for the job , no question.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 19:17   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
At the end of the day all fans want the same things in a manager , passion , a love of the club , commitment, attractive football , getting the best out of footballers and more importantly results!!

James Beattie has non of this , Coleman does.

James Beatties win percentage 27% . John Coleman's win percentage 40%.

What more do you want in a manager? We're going to find no one who is ever going to work so hard for the club in the bear future. Using a footballing brain , Coleman is the man for the job , no question.
Statistics can show anything you want. In every full season in the league under Beattie Stanley never finished below 15th. Coleman only managed to better this 20% of the full seasons he managed in the league and equal it 20% of them as well.

Coley had better players than Beattie but can he do the same again? I hope so.

I'm not conviced this is a good step but again I can't think of a better option with what we have. Coley knew what we were about but the world has moved on and hopefully so has he. What he did at Southport and the players he had there may have been good enough at that level but this is League 2 and it has been the toughest of times at the bottom for a few years now.

I don't think losing Coley as manager and "the more professional approach" killed the atmosphere and affected the Ultras as much as the ban Jason received. Jason was the driving force behind the Ultras and brought out passion for Stanley more than most could. If we want to improve the atmosphere and get us back to where we were then get Jason back.

Hopefully we will get the result on Saturday and the Crown Ground is back to the old days when I'm down for the Plymouth game.

Back the club and never mind who is managing as long as we get the results.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 19:49   #176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post

I don't think losing Coley as manager and "the more professional approach" killed the atmosphere and affected the Ultras as much as the ban Jason received. Jason was the driving force behind the Ultras and brought out passion for Stanley more than most could. If we want to improve the atmosphere and get us back to where we were then get Jason back.

Hopefully we will get the result on Saturday and the Crown Ground is back to the old days when I'm down for the Plymouth game.

Back the club and never mind who is managing as long as we get the results.
This is more to the point,the loss of Jase, plus the simple fact a league club,has to abide by league rules, like it or lump it, a good example was the crap oer the flags, which were loved by all fans "not just ultras" The club has to abide by league laws, may not mean agree, but abide they must, people tend to overlook that i think. That i think along wi jases ban caused the drift away, not the terrible 2 leaving.
Old 18-09-2014, 22:36   #177
Senior Member+

Coleman had better players than Beattie? Well that's a lot of bull! Beattie thought he could use his 'contacts' to get players but it never worked. Coleman finds hard working players and gems which he knows that can make a difference to the team using his footballing brain then so called 'contacts'. Coleman never got players from big clubs like Naismith he had to work hard with the drags of non league or players heading that way! At the end of day during pre season most Stanley fans were harping on about having the best squad we've seen at Stanley in the football league so far under beattie.

Also yes Jase is a massive loss and was a big force in creating the atmosphere but it wasn't just one man singing , just one man holding a flag, it was a group of people who now still travel away , singing for the lads but people gave up and had enough of the way flags were taken down , the way stewards were acting and the fact they wasn't treated as fans just supporting the club but treated like criminals. People have had enough so numbers have dwindled on the terrace. There will still be lads in the group including me travelling to Northampton , having a few sherberts and shouting loud for the team but the power mad people in the club killed the Ultras.

ALL HAIL KING COLEMAN
DAV007 likes this.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 23:04   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Coleman had better players than Beattie? Well that's a lot of bull! Beattie thought he could use his 'contacts' to get players but it never worked. Coleman finds hard working players and gems which he knows that can make a difference to the team using his footballing brain then so called 'contacts'. Coleman never got players from big clubs like Naismith he had to work hard with the drags of non league or players heading that way! At the end of day during pre season most Stanley fans were harping on about having the best squad we've seen at Stanley in the football league so far under beattie.

Also yes Jase is a massive loss and was a big force in creating the atmosphere but it wasn't just one man singing , just one man holding a flag, it was a group of people who now still travel away , singing for the lads but people gave up and had enough of the way flags were taken down , the way stewards were acting and the fact they wasn't treated as fans just supporting the club but treated like criminals. People have had enough so numbers have dwindled on the terrace. There will still be lads in the group including me travelling to Northampton , having a few sherberts and shouting loud for the team but the power mad people in the club killed the Ultras.

ALL HAIL KING COLEMAN
I wasn't talking about where they came from I was talking about the standard of player we had tompared to what we have now. Contacts or no contacts we have conference teams with more money than we have and can attract better players. Naismith may have come from a big club but having watched him play for them on the few occasions he made the first team he hardly set the heather alight and that was in League2 in Scotland.

I would rather have a squad with Mullin, Edwards, Procter, Ryan, Cavanagh, Craney, Arthur, Gornell, Mangan, Grant etc in their prime rather than what we have now.

You are right, Jase was only one but he was a leader and an organiser. Yes the stewards can be a problem as can the rules but they shouldnt affect the noise levels. People have had enough but we are also getting older and football can take a back seat to other things as you get older. I've been to away games in the past and I go to away games now and the atmosphere has changed. I won't be in Northampton because that would be a case of leaving home at 23.30 friday night and getting home at 2.50 Sunday morning and that would be just travelling. I'm getting to old for that now

Mansfield is something similar but already booked up for a weekend in Stevenage.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 00:35   #179
Senior Member+

I don't know the exact figure of the wage bills but there is no denying that Beattie has had the highest wage bill we have ever had at the club!...FACT

So surely a higher budget means better standard of players, no?

As FC Stanley says, Coley got players from Non League or players released from Premiership/Championship teams who had nowhere else to go and got them playing again and a few even got good moves (as well as helping Stanley get abit of money in the process) higher up the leagues - Gary Roberts to Ipswich, Ian Craney to Swansea!

Fresh start for everyone! - Believe!
DAV007 likes this.
Old 19-09-2014, 08:57   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I wasn't talking about where they came from I was talking about the standard of player we had tompared to what we have now. Contacts or no contacts we have conference teams with more money than we have and can attract better players. Naismith may have come from a big club but having watched him play for them on the few occasions he made the first team he hardly set the heather alight and that was in League2 in Scotland.

I would rather have a squad with Mullin, Edwards, Procter, Ryan, Cavanagh, Craney, Arthur, Gornell, Mangan, Grant etc in their prime rather than what we have now.

You are right, Jase was only one but he was a leader and an organiser. Yes the stewards can be a problem as can the rules but they shouldnt affect the noise levels. People have had enough but we are also getting older and football can take a back seat to other things as you get older. I've been to away games in the past and I go to away games now and the atmosphere has changed. I won't be in Northampton because that would be a case of leaving home at 23.30 friday night and getting home at 2.50 Sunday morning and that would be just travelling. I'm getting to old for that now

Mansfield is something similar but already booked up for a weekend in Stevenage.
Say all these lad's leg's gave up on them in a space of 3 Months you'd be left to field your youth team, Atleast our club is now getting it right bringing successful youth players through and integrating them into the first team, It were a dark era under Coleman
tazzydjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..