Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-12-2015, 21:03   #1

Stevenage match thread

When you're a bit ring rusty, Stevenage are the last team you want to play. Westley may have left the building, but his methods and mentality remain. Stevenage were in Stanley's faces from the off, boosted by a fortunate early goal. Joe lost an aerial duel with their giant no.31, the ball fell kindly for a Stevenage player to lash a shot goalbound, Mooney parried it out straight onto the knee of an onrushing Stevenage player and in it went.

The rest of the first half was a desperate affair for the Reds. Whenever an individual got the ball there were two or three home players on them barely before they could look up and make a pass. This quickly led to indecision and nervousness, with misplaced passes aplenty and an unsettlng amount of bickering among the Stanley players. That said, in the midst of all this, the lads produced the best move of the half, culminating in a Stanley player flashing the ball home from a low right-wing cross, but it was ruled out for offside.

Half-time saw Coley with a task on his hands, and as the second-half began to unfold, it wasn't immediately apparent that he had solved the problem. From the stands, it seemed clear that high balls lumped up to the heroic Kee, or crosses from the industrious Mingoia, were not going to cause such a muscular defence too many problems. We had to play through them. They had some issues at the back. Their number 4 was laughably unathletic, ripe for playing around. But Stevenage were still working hard, pulling men behind the ball and not giving us a chance to play.

In the end, Coley played an adventurous card, going three at the back and bringing on Gornell and McCarten. The latter immediately made an impact, his ability to dribble through challenges almost rewarded with an audacious goal as he jinked past three defenders before leathering a shot into the side-netting. But we did start to force Stevenage ever deeper, with Conneely testing Day with a stinging shot from the edge of the box. The breakthrough was dependent, however, on a contentious refereeing decision. McConville, on one of his more anonymous afternoons, angled a cross for the back post but instead found a defender leaping in the way who was then adjudged to have handled inside the box. Kee stepped up and sealed his man of the match performance with a calm pen to the keeper's left as Day dived to his right.

If anyone was going to nick it at this point it was us, as Stevenage's hard-pressing game caught up with them, but we were glad of the point, as it looked unlikely for most of the game that we were going to leave with anything, apart from a renewed dislike of this godforsaken place. Whatever happens, I said to Carice sitting next to me, at least we don't live here.

So raise a glass tonight to Billy Kee, he was momentous throughout, the only player to consistently get the better of his markers. You earned your wage today Billy. As for the team, they weren't at their flowing best, but they kept going and emerged from a difficult battle with a point.

There's a quote from Diego Simeone in the paper today about how he sees his side: "We see ourselves reflected in society, in people who have to fight daily to keep going. As soon as we stop fighting, we have no chance."

Sums us up nicely, I'd say, and no more so than today.

Merry Christmas!

Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-12-2015, 22:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Stevenage match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
When you're a bit ring rusty, Stevenage are the last team you want to play. Westley may have left the building, but his methods and mentality remain. Stevenage were in Stanley's faces from the off, boosted by a fortunate early goal. Joe lost an aerial duel with their giant no.31, the ball fell kindly for a Stevenage player to lash a shot goalbound, Mooney parried it out straight onto the knee of an onrushing Stevenage player and in it went.

The rest of the first half was a desperate affair for the Reds. Whenever an individual got the ball there were two or three home players on them barely before they could look up and make a pass. This quickly led to indecision and nervousness, with misplaced passes aplenty and an unsettlng amount of bickering among the Stanley players. That said, in the midst of all this, the lads produced the best move of the half, culminating in a Stanley player flashing the ball home from a low right-wing cross, but it was ruled out for offside.

Half-time saw Coley with a task on his hands, and as the second-half began to unfold, it wasn't immediately apparent that he had solved the problem. From the stands, it seemed clear that high balls lumped up to the heroic Kee, or crosses from the industrious Mingoia, were not going to cause such a muscular defence too many problems. We had to play through them. They had some issues at the back. Their number 4 was laughably unathletic, ripe for playing around. But Stevenage were still working hard, pulling men behind the ball and not giving us a chance to play.

In the end, Coley played an adventurous card, going three at the back and bringing on Gornell and McCarten. The latter immediately made an impact, his ability to dribble through challenges almost rewarded with an audacious goal as he jinked past three defenders before leathering a shot into the side-netting. But we did start to force Stevenage ever deeper, with Conneely testing Day with a stinging shot from the edge of the box. The breakthrough was dependent, however, on a contentious refereeing decision. McConville, on one of his more anonymous afternoons, angled a cross for the back post but instead found a defender leaping in the way who was then adjudged to have handled inside the box. Kee stepped up and sealed his man of the match performance with a calm pen to the keeper's left as Day dived to his right.

If anyone was going to nick it at this point it was us, as Stevenage's hard-pressing game caught up with them, but we were glad of the point, as it looked unlikely for most of the game that we were going to leave with anything, apart from a renewed dislike of this godforsaken place. Whatever happens, I said to Carice sitting next to me, at least we don't live here.

So raise a glass tonight to Billy Kee, he was momentous throughout, the only player to consistently get the better of his markers. You earned your wage today Billy. As for the team, they weren't at their flowing best, but they kept going and emerged from a difficult battle with a point.

There's a quote from Diego Simeone in the paper today about how he sees his side: "We see ourselves reflected in society, in people who have to fight daily to keep going. As soon as we stop fighting, we have no chance."

Sums us up nicely, I'd say, and no more so than today.

Merry Christmas!

Phil
Thanks for this Phil, and compliments of the season are returned to you !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 22:15   #3
God Member

Can close this thread now. Phil has summarised the 90+ minutes expertly and accurately.
Only thing to add is that this is the second game in a row where the opposition have adopted the rush, push, barge, and harry tactics to deny the Stanley players that extra second they seem to need or expect on the ball. A little too much waiting for the ball to arrive and not enough attacking it at times.
Also Stevenage obviously watched the Pompey video and were creating just as much panic in defence as the Snake's lot did whenever Mr.Mooney opted for a 'sideways' goal kick.
Anonymous is the perfect description of Mr.McConville's 'performance' today, but not the word that first came to my mind.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 01:40   #4
Super Moderator

Quote from Borochat tonight:

"Just in case anybody had forgotten, every time we play them, without fail, they are disgusting.

From board to management, to players, to fans. Scum from top to bottom. I hate them."

We must be doing something right!
Old 20-12-2015, 08:27   #5
Full Member+

Here are the highlights of our well earned point against scummy Satanage(Just in case their fans are looking in)

Match Report - Stevenage 1 - 1 Accrington | 19 Dec 2015
choirboy likes this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 08:44   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Anonymous is the perfect description of Mr.McConville's 'performance' today, but not the word that first came to my mind.
A recurring theme, and yet he is never subbed. It is always our top scorer who has to make way. Nepotism at it's most obvious!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 08:46   #7
Senior Member+

A hard earned draw at a difficult place to go to!
Super report Phil, so thanks.
I was following the live feeds on the fishy site and on the BBC site.
Just watched the highlights.
Thanks to Winstanley too.
Defo a penalty for me but Josh should have scored in the first half.
From the SKY highlights it looks like Boro should have scored more than one goal.
Sounds like Billy was clearly our MOM.
Also seems that Coley went full out for getting something out of the game by bringing on extra forwards! I get the impression that we were all over them for the last 15 minutes or so!
Win at home and draw away is good promotion form but it so important that we actually do the former, particularly with regard to the two rearranged matches that we still have in hand!
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

"Just in case anybody had forgotten, every time we play them, without fail, they are disgusting.

From board to management, to players, to fans. Scum from top to bottom. I hate them."

We must be doing something right!
Disgusting seems a bit strong, most other people rate our fans at least. Genuine question as I am fairly new to this, but what have done to upset them?
anmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:47   #9
Senior Member+

The feeling is mutual.

I absolutely DETEST everything about that club.

They are hated not only by us but Luton, Barnet, Peterborough and Cambridge, kind of says alot about who they are.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
The feeling is mutual.

I absolutely DETEST everything about that club.

They are hated not only by us but Luton, Barnet, Peterborough and Cambridge, kind of says alot about who they are.
Those teams are their local rivals so hardly surprising but I can't figure where we fit in especially when I've never had any problems there any time I've been down.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 11:27   #11
Senior Member+

I have a friend who's a Satanage fan........ According to him it all started with the fact when we got promoted from the conference at the 3rd time of asking, and it took them something like 15 years after they where denied promotion due to their ground being crap in the 90's.

If you remember we got dispensation to get promoted.... providing we improved various things around the ground. (New control room , lights etc etc )

That was the start of it all...... Plus Coley's various run ins with Westley and his henchmen!

Can't wait till they go down again.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:03   #12

My wife used to live there and we still have family nearby so we are down on a regular basis so I know what you mean regarding them being refused promotion but I've never heard any animosity against us other than on borochat and football messageboards aren't usually a good measure of much.

I agree regarding Westley but then again some of our fans still don't think much of Coley on here either.

I also agree regarding them going down as I will have bragging rights again in the house but can't push that too much as I need her to drive down for the Carlisle game on Boxing Day
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 12:34   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post

"Just in case anybody had forgotten, every time we play them, without fail, they are disgusting. From board to management, to players, to fans. Scum from top to bottom. I hate them."
It's almost enough to make you feel sorry for Stevenage to have a 'fan' like that. But then we all know what fan is short for. Maybe he's sofa Chelsea supporter and just hates life at the moment.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 16:34   #14
Senior Member+

Unfortunately exile there are quite a number like him that support those animals !
Old 20-12-2015, 16:48   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Unfortunately exile there are quite a number like him that support those animals !
But are you alone in being like him and supporting us?

Remember it's the season of goodwill before replying .....

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..