Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 04:51   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: The pitch.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottletop
This is something I have always had a bee in my bonnet about.

Surely all pitches should be the same size, wider/ longer pitches can give players advantages/disadvantages.
I would have thought the FA would have a ruling on this but obviously not!
I think you'll find that the FA have minimum widths and lenghths of pitches Bottletop, I also think that UEFA pitch sizes are also different for Champs League and UEFA cup matches, remember Bolton last season when you could clearly see the old pitch markings for a Uefa cup match. Arsenal had one of the narrowest pitches in the country at Highbury, it will be interesting to see if they keep the same width at their new stadium next season
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2006, 09:48   #17

How can such differences in pitch sizes be allowed?

Just imagine if for example all the tennis courts at wimbeldon where different sizes,

John Mcenroe shouting the ball was in!! umpire(or whatever they call them in tennis) sorry the ball was out but if you where on court number 6 which is 6 inches wider then you would have been right John!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:59   #18

remember Bolton last season when you could clearly see the old pitch markings for a Uefa cup match.

I remember seeing that Jaysay and at the time couldn't work out why the markings had been moved, thanks for enlightening me
Old 11-07-2006, 10:13   #19
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The pitch.........

When league football was just a fledgling organisation many of the teams could not allocate enough land for a standard sized pitch so the FA decreed that a pitch could be of any size within the set parameters.

However EUFA is different in that teams competing in the EUFA competitions have to have a pitch of a fixed size or maybe it is within different parameters. Either way it does mean that some teams have to change their pitch markings to comply with EUFA rules when playing in Europe.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:19   #20
rob

think its also in the rules that the pitch must be rectangular, though as long as your touchlines were half an inch longer than the goal lines you wouldn't be so far off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeVarender
So you could in theory have a square pitch.
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 13:41   #21
Senior Member+

Yes your right Rob, touch lines have to be wider than hte bylines...

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndR...2/05/12112.htm
Old 11-07-2006, 14:03   #22
God Member

Fasinating. Everything is still done in Imperial Measures.

Does anyone know of any other sport that has not succumbed to metric nonsense? (excepting horse racing)

Last edited by Tealeaf; 11-07-2006 at 14:06.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 15:51   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The pitch.........

I think that those rules are slightly out of date zayno14 or maybe they don’t apply to FIFA but thanks for the link anyway.
Goals Decision3 - <SNIP>on goals, nets, flagposts or their flags. No extraneous equipment (cameras, microphones, etc.) may be attached to these items.
There were cameras on the inside of the goals during the WC.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Does anyone know of any other sport that has not succumbed to metric nonsense? (excepting horse racing)
Certainly, Mr. Leaf. A baseball diamond is ninety feet between the bases and the rubber on the pitcher's mound is sixty feet, six inches from home plate.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:10   #25
rob

maybe an argument there for replaying all world cup matches? maybe from quarter finals onwards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
I think that those rules are slightly out of date zayno14 or maybe they don’t apply to FIFA but thanks for the link anyway.
Goals Decision3 - <snip>on goals, nets, flagposts or their flags. No extraneous equipment (cameras, microphones, etc.) may be attached to these items.</snip>
There were cameras on the inside of the goals during the WC.
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:43   #26
Resting in Peace

Never mind the width - what about the quality? It looked very poor on Saturday and is already attracting derogatory comments on both Rovers and Burnley messageboards. I would have thought that with seeding and watering in the close season any sand would have been covered by now, or has there been a hosepipe/watering ban?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 13:19   #27
God Member

the problem does not lie with anyone at the club but the fact that antony hasent been able to do his job for various reasons, at first it was too wet to seed the ground then it was too dry for the seed to grow as well as that two of the tractors where stolen and trashed...so not the best close season really
Old 13-07-2006, 02:25   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Fasinating. Everything is still done in Imperial Measures.

That would be any sport in USA.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..