Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2019, 07:18   #31
Senior Member+

Re: The Sunderland match thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Darreners View Post
Milud, I defer to your judgement most of the time...as it is I thought Seamus was great until his booking - given recent sending off events his giving up on the 50-50 had the look of a fait accomplis (worse than death) and thought Coley might have played the Scotty card when Smyth scored his superb second off a beautiful weighted ball that I've been waiting for Shauny to perfect for about 9 games now... hopefully will re-energise him. But I thought the booking utterly compromised Seamus's effectiveness...
Agreed mate.
I thought first half he did a great job especially nullifying Grigg at set pieces .....
the choice of language “couldn’t be bothered” is disgusting.
Anyway here’s a question for Lord Stiff.
In your words describe the first goal we conceded and what you thought over Donacien’s involvement.
If you’re going to throw that accusation around let’s do it to everyone shall we ?
Why not stick to a mass of positives we take from the game ?
Delighted Coley got a reaction after last weeks effort.
If we’d played like that at Scunny we would have cruised to victory.
Massive four home games now - 8 points please.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2019, 08:16   #32
God Member

do not always agree with you 28 but your post is spot on. hate this singling out of any player for abuse on here or at the game. they are our players and if you do not like em for one reason or another i do wish people would just keep quiet if they cannot be bothered to actually support them on the pitch.
KiTChener likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 08:34   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest thought we played very well against a good side that cost way above what we can afford, also must say its probably the best stadium i have ever been in, the lads deserve much praise fer that point last night. cos sunderland were no mugs.
Old 16-02-2019, 08:50   #34

4 of the bottom 5 play at home today and have the opportunity to make 2 points on us with our draw last night. I’d have taken a point even at 2-0. Before the game I was more concerned with damage to our goal difference which I know is defeatist.

As for Seamus, I thought he did ok, I could probably name 6 who did better and as I was very proud walking away last night, that is not a criticism of Seamus.

I skipped threw the recorded highlights this morning. I agree Seamus had to pull out, but I also think he struggled to get there in the first place and seems to second guess (wrongly) which direction their player is going to take (I could be wrong). He could have been more of a nuisance in the tackle and then held his hands up to the ref so to speak. For what it’s also worth I’m not sure the tackle for his actual booking required the zest and ferocity in their half in any event ?

What I did find inconsistent at best and the main reason for this post is in the interview after the game on sky Coleman (after throwing the keeper under a bus last week) cites Donacien for the first goal but then refers to “losing the ball in midfield “. My first reaction was why didn’t he mention his name as he did with Donacien. It is this perceived inner group that ironically hurts him and is not Seamus’s that if it momentarily wound me up that I think contributes unfairly to some perceptions.

One final point, did Barluser play last night as he would not have been in my 6 !
Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 09:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Agreed mate.
I thought first half he did a great job especially nullifying Grigg at set pieces ..... the choice of language “couldn’t be bothered” is disgusting.
Anyway here’s a question for Lord Stiff.
In your words describe the first goal we conceded and what you thought over Donacien’s involvement.
If you’re going to throw that accusation around let’s do it to everyone shall we ?
Why not stick to a mass of positives we take from the game ?
You're entitled to disagree, but I suggest you read my post again.
I described it as a great game of football & that the whole team played well.
If that's not positive, I don't know what is?
I am not the only one who thought Conneely's performance was under par.
It wasn't just the half-hearted effort to reach the pass which resulted from their equaliser, he was robbed of the ball a couple of times because he took an age to decide what to do with it.
Yes, Donacien made an error for their 1st goal but otherwise played well.
I was proud to be a Stanley fan last night, but I still feel Conneely was our 'weakest link' in an excellent team performance.
cashman and yonmon like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 10:42   #36
God Member

Well, for my two pennorth I thought it was a cracking game of football. Yes, we made some mistakes but so did they (Will Grigg's not so on-fire anymore for a start)
In the first half we were the better team, no question - in the second, predictably Sunderland came out looking like they'd had a rollicking but after a bit of a shaky start we battled hard & came away with a deserved hard won point & just as importantly 2 goals under our belt after our recent dry spell, that monkey is now off our backs & we can crack on.
Well played lads, roll on Tuesday
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 11:24   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
You're entitled to disagree, but I suggest you read my post again.
I described it as a great game of football & that the whole team played well.
If that's not positive, I don't know what is?
I am not the only one who thought Conneely's performance was under par.
It wasn't just the half-hearted effort to reach the pass which resulted from their equaliser, he was robbed of the ball a couple of times because he took an age to decide what to do with it.
Yes, Donacien made an error for their 1st goal but otherwise played well.
I was proud to be a Stanley fan last night, but I still feel Conneely was our 'weakest link' in an excellent team performance.

Stop back tracking - you said "couldn't be bothered" - totally disgusting.
So Janoi made an error ...... but the other most dedicated pro I know couldn't be bothered.
Awful.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 16-02-2019, 13:11   #38

Never mind going on about back tracking 28 you have a short memory many a time you have criticized players so don't give the Lord any slaver about criticizing players.thing with you is your never wrong you clown
Old 16-02-2019, 13:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Stop back tracking - you said "couldn't be bothered" - totally disgusting.
So Janoi made an error ...... but the other most dedicated pro I know couldn't be bothered.
Awful.
Who's back tracking?
I've already explained why I felt Conneely was our weakest link.
Janoi's mistake cost us a goal.
Conneely's mistake cost us 2 points!
Both errors, but the first was down to an error of judgement, the second was down to a lack of effort.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 13:46   #40
God Member

Two things really stood out for me last night from an engrossing 95 minutes of football.
1. What flash of Football Voodoo acumen persuaded Yosser to scamper back to the goal line and be in the perfect place to block Maguire’s free kick? Will we be seeing this tactic every week from the rich boys from now on?
2. What perfect LEFT-FOOTED cross from McMarmite to lay on the second goal. If just wish he would trust his left peg a bit more when scoring opportunities arise.
AccyMad, Greger and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:41   #41

I cannot understand why you may not criticize individual players or the manager on a forum. I thought a forum was about opinions.

I don't get to watch many Stanley games, so I will take the opportunity to say my piece. Sensitive souls can skip this post.

I don't know if Seamus couldn't be bothered or as Simpson said tried to second guess the opponent. But either way it was embarrassing for a seasoned pro. He has done a lot for this club but he is so slow he just can't play at this level. He is quite obviously the weakest link.
Having said that I can see why Coley played him. Brown did not look fit (and I don't mean that he seemed injured).

I did not think Donacien had a good game, either. Contrary to some (and to JC) I wasn't that upset with his action or inaction at their first goal. These things happen and part of the problem was that Hughes was caught ball watching. But I thought his timing was off when defending on the wing. I blame his inaction at Ipswich. He will probably improve, and left-Back is not his best position.

I am not yet convinced about Maxted, and his distribution does test the nerves, but he saved us yesterday. Good game.

I like Johnson, but he was a bit quiet Yesterday. Partly, I think, because Smyth ran into his track. Sykes I thought was excellent.I wonder how long we can keep him. Hughes is a good defender, and it seems a good pairing to me.

McConville didn't get his free-kicks to fall, which was a bit disappointing given his usual accuracy but that left-foot cross for goal number two was brilliant. You have to like him. Clark I think had a good game. I haven't always understood his greatness, but he has impressed me this season (the little I have seen of course). Barlaser was a bit quiet, but you can see the talent, and he keeps the ball moving. I like him.

Up front I will always want to see two. I know I don't have much to base this opinion on, but I think it is very obvious that this team is better suited to two up front. And Smyth seems to be the right type for Billy Kee. Smyth of course was brilliant yesterday and Billy Kee, well you just have to love him. What a player!

And if Smyth can't play, please Coley, give Armstrong the chance. There were only a few minutes for him, but I liked what I saw.

Stanley played a great game, and there were lots of positive signs. I feel a lot more optimistic today that I did a few days ago. I though we would get hammered, but I loved the attitude. Not only did we come to play, but dominated them for large parts of the game. Brilliant!
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:42   #42

Surprised to see Conneely criticised for lack of effort. We all know his footballing limitations.Baralser is there to provide the creativity. He may not play like a Matty P but can usually be relied on to give his all.
He put in a shift against vastly superior footballers yesterday and came up short a couple of times. Hes the best we have in the holding role so no point knocking the guy.
MikeA, AccyMad and mab like this.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 15:15   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Surprised to see Conneely criticised for lack of effort. We all know his footballing limitations.Baralser is there to provide the creativity. He may not play like a Matty P but can usually be relied on to give his all.
He put in a shift against vastly superior footballers yesterday and came up short a couple of times. Hes the best we have in the holding role so no point knocking the guy.
That’s the point that certain individuals just don’t get.
By all means criticise players but never ever accuse any of our lads as “can’t be bothered”
That insinuates done on purpose.
He is struggling at this level and no one knows it better than Conneely himself.
Never ever accuse him of not being bothered. Disgusting.
KiTChener and monkey hanger like this.
Old 16-02-2019, 17:51   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Love Rocket View Post
Never mind going on about back tracking 28 you have a short memory many a time you have criticized players so don't give the Lord any slaver about criticizing players.thing with you is your never wrong you clown
Correct. Always critical of players but NEVER would I accuse any of our players of “can’t be bothered”
Welcome back by the way.
Old 16-02-2019, 17:52   #45
Senior Member+

Aside from which what’s it got to do with you whether I agree or disagree with Lord Stiff. Keep your nose out.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..