Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2009, 18:50   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Today's Game at Rotherham

You aren't wrong Haggis. The Don Valley Stadium today was as desolate as it gets in late March. I have to admire the Rotherham fans who go there every week. I wouldn't fancy it. It'll take me hours to warm up tonight.

I thought we battled hard today, without ever looking like making a break through. I've no idea why the Rotherham 'keeper won man of the match. What did he have to do?
Old 28-03-2009, 19:03   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
You aren't wrong Haggis. The Don Valley Stadium today was as desolate as it gets in late March. I have to admire the Rotherham fans who go there every week. I wouldn't fancy it. It'll take me hours to warm up tonight.

I thought we battled hard today, without ever looking like making a break through. I've no idea why the Rotherham 'keeper won man of the match. What did he have to do?
Yes with Rotherham being so much "in control" according to their manager why should they need have needed him at all?

Could it have been him saving Symes' header from Miles' free-kick just before the break or his second half point blank stop to keep out Symes' skewed shot from close quarters from Miles corner?

Andy Warrington is a lifelong Wednesday fan and a top bloke so I won't dispute it.

Thanks to John Timmins for introducing me to Wynomie and Redash. Sorry I missed out on meeting you.

Coldest I have been since the Brittania Stadium on Boxing Day 2006. Steward told me that further along the main stand is even more exposed and cold.

I was confident we would win till about 20 minutes from the end when Rotherham seemed to find another gear but even then I thought we might get a late winner.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!

Last edited by Haggis316; 28-03-2009 at 19:12.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:07   #33
Resting in Peace

[quote=Haggis316;697926]

Mark Robins thought Rotherham were in control throughout the match. Funny how people see things differently.

His post match interview on this link is interesting listening particularly for the Accrington bench:
/quote]

What a miserable get! Think I prefer Coley's "old" moaning style to his.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:15   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Thanks to John Timmins for introducing me to Wynomie and Redash. Sorry I missed out on meeting you.
I was probably shivering in a corner somewhere.
Old 28-03-2009, 19:22   #35
Senior Member+

After the match I was in the washrooms longer than usual - I think my bladder had frozen.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Old 28-03-2009, 19:43   #36
Senior Member+

It was strange atmosphere this afternoon. It was bit like watching football on the telly with the sound turned down.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 19:46   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
It was strange atmosphere this afternoon. It was bit like watching football on the telly with the sound turned down.
You did well to detect any atmosphere

Old 28-03-2009, 20:47   #38
Super Moderator

That's the strangest place I've ever been to watch a football match. Felt really remote from the match, as it was so far away. As Robert Owen says, like watching it on telly. Good day out, though...a couple of beers in the pub with Redash beforehand, good craic on the ground with Redash and Haggis and a couple more beers with Phil Whalley in Sheffield afterwards. I really pity the Rotherham fans, though...I'll take the FES/Crown anyday over that!
Old 28-03-2009, 21:26   #39
God Member

Quote:
Are you sure you want to thank him for introducing you to those two
Old 28-03-2009, 21:54   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Only need 3 points for safety as long as we get them against chester

Be easier to finish the job next week, a win against Lincoln and Chester failing to win at Notts County would do it. Even if Stanley draw and Chester get beat it should effectively be finished, would take a massive effort for Chester to pull back what would be at least a -24 goal difference
Old 29-03-2009, 07:24   #41
God Member

We went into the Faras pub first, the away fans pub, it was already full of Rotherham fans so our coach load filled the place to bursting. You couldn't move so a few of us left and made our way to the Britania, about a hundred yards away, the pub was quiet, empty, had good beer (in glasses) and Wynonie Harris in it. We had a couple of pints then went to the game. I heard later that some Rotherham "fans" tried to kick off with our lot, over Jamie(idle) Clarke, I'm unsure how it ended though.
The stadium was eerie, I doubt if the players could have heard the noise from the ultras, I just couldn't get into the game at all. The Don Valley stadium is definitely not a place to see football, although if you regularly go to the larger premiership/European stadiums, I should think it's similar. The players were so far away, you couldn't recognise any of them until they turned around displaying their numbers.
I think it was a point well earned, and I'm happy with that. And good to meet Haggis also.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 10:43   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Mark Robins thought Rotherham were in control throughout the match.
His post match interview on this link is interesting listening particularly for the Accrington bench:

BBC SPORT | Football | League Two | Rotherham 0-0 Accrington
Even their own fans picked up on his comment:

Rotherham United FC forum from footymad.net

Old 29-03-2009, 11:06   #43
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

And then theres more
RUFC - Robins 'we controlled game' Vital Football - Rotherham United
Stanley Stopper Denies Millers Sporting Life - League Two
A point each against Accrington Millersnet - Rotherham
Stats: Rotherham United v Accrington Stanley 28 Ma Vital Football - Rotherham United
LEAGUE TWO: Rotherham 0 Accrington Stanley 0; Chesterfield 2 Port Vale 1 Sheffield Star - Chesterfield FC

Rotherham United 0 v 0 Accrington - Report Rotherham United FC - The Official Site
Rotherham United 0-0 Accrington Stanley ESPN Soccernet - Rotherham United
Millers 0 Accrington Stanley 0 MillersMAD - Rotherham United
Rotherham United 0 Accrington Stanley 0 Yorkshire Post - Rotherham United
FULL TIME: Rotherham United 0 Accrington Stanley 0
Old 29-03-2009, 12:36   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Mark Robins thought Rotherham were in control throughout the match. Funny how people see things differently.

His post match interview on this link is interesting listening particularly for the Accrington bench.
Opposition managers wearing rose-tinted specs won't do us any harm.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 15:00   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Millers have made all 3 subs, and Jamie Clarke is still on the bench - at least he will not come back to haunt us......
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | R | Rotherham | Nine players released by Millers

he did'nt last long
Bradshaw Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..