Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2011, 17:32   #61
God Member

Re: Torquay thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
...............somebody explain to me why we need the floodlights on from the start of the match. I'm sure there's an obvious explanation,but it just seems to be wasting money to me
Because it will be cheaper to buy them back, from the auction, if the bulbs have gone.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2011, 17:43   #62
God Member

Far from a classic as Cashy said chalk & cheese to Tuesday's game

But we ground out a result against a resillient Gulls side and kept a clean sheet and another cracker from Mr. Craney.

Three hard fought points keeps the momentum going against another one of the sides round & about us and we have now broken through the forty point barrier.

Hopefully the break of ten days till the next home game will give the pitch a chance to settle back down.

Good Stuff

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:16   #63
God Member

fantastic.

nine points from a tough looking nine points..

lets say for example that EW relents and the ownership issue is gone before the next home game - WHAT A BOOST THAT WILL BE. - and that will be worth another win to us!
Old 26-02-2011, 18:24   #64

Got a great three points, wont say well earned. A poor first half performance and the sending off was the turning point as Torquay were the better side in the first half. Craney had a shocking game and then came up with a cracker of a goal. Felt we were lucky today. Not the best performance from Winnard or Hessey but Cisak made a couple of good saves and IMHO deserved MOM. Couldnt play their normal passing as pitch was like a sand pit.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:39   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by new red View Post
Got a great three points, wont say well earned. A poor first half performance and the sending off was the turning point as Torquay were the better side in the first half. Craney had a shocking game and then came up with a cracker of a goal. Felt we were lucky today. Not the best performance from Winnard or Hessey but Cisak made a couple of good saves and IMHO deserved MOM. Couldnt play their normal passing as pitch was like a sand pit.
Don't agree. I don't think Torquay were better than us in any department. I thought the points were very well earned, and Craney wasn't half as bad as other posters have made out. Plenty of good football from the Reds, especially in the second half. It's often difficult to look good against 10 men who batten down the hatches, though why we kept 4 defenders on against their two up front was a bit frustrating. Joey impressed me for the first time this season, and Joyce had a good game. However , if our defenders hadn't tried to find touch so often a la Twickenham I think things would have been a lot easier. McConville showed why he is on the bench nowadays with a horrible lob into the goalies hands when a simple lob would have put us out of sight, plus another poor finish from a good chance, as well as the awful corner mentioned by Cashy which set Torquay up for a breakaway and possible equaliser. I enjoyed the match, unlike those of us who seem to expect Barcelona-type displays every game.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:44   #66
God Member

I break my deadlock after missing a thrilling tues night match, what a tiring dire performance - then Craney scores a cracker and I missed it so will have to catch the replay lol

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:01   #67
Senior Member+

Must agree with you Redraine,as Torquay are a well organised team and did there homework on Acci.
They played 3 upfront,and when they lost possession,2 went wide and the centre one dropped off to stop the ball going into the centre mids feet,therefore Hessy saw a lot of the ball and his only option was to go long(a lot of the time into touch).
There centre backs had done there homework on Gornell and give him a rough ride.
To be fair to them they still had 2 up front even when down to 10 men.
Think new red was being a bit harsh on singling out Deano,who i thought marked Robinson out the game(he was eventually subbed),and on corners he marked there 6-4 number 5, and conceeded nothing,unlike Ellis(who got sent off),who bullied his Acci marker and should really have scored.
Although Hesseys long passes went astray today,I thought he more than competed in the 50-50 battles.
A great 3 points,against a good team,cant complain
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 19:46   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

very fair summary from coley,on fishy.
Old 26-02-2011, 19:57   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
Three wins in a row, Get in!!!!!

Last time that happened, answers on a post-card.
12 Mths ago..

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 21:19   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thing is fer all the knockers, the last 6 Pts are due to Mr Craney. Fact.
Old 26-02-2011, 21:31   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
I break my deadlock after missing a thrilling tues night match, what a tiring dire performance - then Craney scores a cracker and I missed it so will have to catch the replay lol
Your not the only one who missed the goal. First match I have been able to make in quite a while due to work commitments. And due to work commitments, left at 4.30 and missed the goal by about 5 minutes. Typical. But hey, at least we won and kept a clean sheet.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 23:43   #72

Just seen the goal again - cracking strike but it looked like the keeper should have stopped it.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 01:00   #73
Resting in Peace

Some entertaining reports from the Torquay travellers. Start half way down page 8, after which they get a bit bitter and twisted.

Torquay United Fans Forum - TorquayFans.com | View topic - Accrington Stanley vs Torquay United - Saturday 26th Feb
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 09:32   #74

"Deano,who i thought marked Robinson out the game"

Just my opinion Football 19 and if you dont want to read anyone else' s opinions best not to look. I dont expect you to agree if you are his relatived. I was just giving MY honest opinion on the game as I saw it. Youre rather defensive anytime Deano has a negative post. I dont expect everyone to agree. Just thought he wasnt at his best. Main point we are slowly clawing our way up the league even when players arnt at their best.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:09   #75
God Member

Two players who I thought deserve special mention for yesterday are Jacobson and Joyce.

Jacobson had his best game yet that I have seen, including his first spell with the club. And Joyce as well proved what a valuable member of the squad he is. I personally would put Joyce on every teamsheet as he is one of those players who just quietly gets on with doing his job and seems to be involved with every part of the game, offensively and defensively. And his mums called Joyce. Maybe.

It wasn't a good game, and we struggled to find any cohesion against a resolute Torquay side who had come to defend the game (but yet still threatened our 18 yard box too many times). But what I did find impressive was our work rate. Without any real moments of pressure to build up a head of steam we still kept going and still chased everything down and still kept probing away, I dont think the sending off did us any real favours and the outcome of the game was always likely to be the same, 0-0, until one special moment from Craney. I'm not his biggest fan but the last two games have proved his worth and that he is one of those players who can find goals like that. Other than the goal he also was unlucky with a couple of efforts after fantastic turns in the box, one he couldnt quite get past his man and the other he was not at his best with the shot.

All in all though that was one for the 'win ugly' box I think, but it was a very important 3 points against one of the teams who will have an eye on a play off place still - get off it, it's ours!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..