Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2011, 10:40   #76
Dan
Senior Member+

Re: Torquay thread

A few thoughts from Ian Craney - ASFC News Story > 3895

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2011, 11:14   #77
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Two players who I thought deserve special mention for yesterday are Jacobson and Joyce.

Jacobson had his best game yet that I have seen, including his first spell with the club. And Joyce as well proved what a valuable member of the squad he is. I personally would put Joyce on every teamsheet as he is one of those players who just quietly gets on with doing his job and seems to be involved with every part of the game, offensively and defensively.
Agree completely. I also thought that Proccy worked tremendously hard.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:33   #78
Senior Member+

Goes to show,when things are not going to plan,If you work hard and dont let your head drop,then you have a much better chance of getting something from the game.
New red,your right,its all about opinions,but my glass is half full,not half empty!!!,Even when players dont perform to there best i still try and concenrate of positives ie; Hesseys long balls didnt come off yesterday,but he still had a good defensive performance against Billy Kee,same with Deano,good defensively,seemed reluctant to go forward at times ( you would have to ask JC and JB why as he plays to instructions),then again with the footballing talent in front of him,seems common sense to give it to them!!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 13:50   #79
God Member

It really was a dire game of football, but on reflection of the past few games, I am so impressed with the character that our team is beginning to show. Our players are now much more determined than earlier in the season; we'll keep going and keep trying to make chances, even when we go through spells of not being able to string two passes together. You need that blind resilience to get results when you aren't playing to your best.

I thought Jacobson, Cisak and Procter each had a really good game. I am concerned about Jimmy Ryan however. Perhaps I'm being harsh but he doesn't seem to be playing well at all lately. Would prefer to see McConville start the next game. Go on, snigger, but we looked much better when Sean took to the field yesterday. We need a lad playing facing goal in our system and we don't have that when Ryan, Craney & Barnett start in the attaching three. I think either McConville or Putterill has to take one of those places to give us more of a threat to the opposition's goal. But what do I know.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 13:58   #80
God Member

Smile Re: Torquay thread

I agree with your points Shaker, about Macca/Razor and the "Holding" midfielders (we have too many!!) Macca is lightweight agreed, but he and Razor run forwards with the ball and that was the one thing that we lacked yesterday, for most of the match!!

It's the same old, same old, we have a good squad and the games have been coming thick and fast recently, resting/rotating players is a good thing - IMHO!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:44   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
It really was a dire game of football, but on reflection of the past few games, I am so impressed with the character that our team is beginning to show. Our players are now much more determined than earlier in the season; we'll keep going and keep trying to make chances, even when we go through spells of not being able to string two passes together. You need that blind resilience to get results when you aren't playing to your best.

I thought Jacobson, Cisak and Procter each had a really good game. I am concerned about Jimmy Ryan however. Perhaps I'm being harsh but he doesn't seem to be playing well at all lately. Would prefer to see McConville start the next game. Go on, snigger, but we looked much better when Sean took to the field yesterday. We need a lad playing facing goal in our system and we don't have that when Ryan, Craney & Barnett start in the attaching three. I think either McConville or Putterill has to take one of those places to give us more of a threat to the opposition's goal. But what do I know.
Picking up on Jimmy his best football is played through the middle of the park not out on the right wing as per at the moment where as Craney is playing the central role, if you look at earlier this season all Jimmy's best work comes through the centre with those lung bursting runs and shots from central positions it was similar last season. The work rate is still there but perhaps a bit more starved of the ball and having to tuck in a bit more out wide?

Barnett is a very tidy player waste's very little in give's & go's and contributes an awful lot can't really knock Craney at the moment as he is producing I am not his biggest fan but everything is ticking through him.

With a wealth of midfielders at the Club's disposal it is always going to be difficult and just to add my own tuppence worth with the pitch as it I wouldn't have minded looking at two genuine wingers.

Who would be a manager

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 14:51   #82
God Member

I agreed about the wingers. After 70 minutes it was apparent that we were struggling to break Torquay down, and I reckoned that two wingers would have stretched the play, and the ten men, and allowed us to play more on grass rather than sand - like you said though, who'd be a manager!
Old 27-02-2011, 15:33   #83
Senior Member+

I think you should give a bit of credit to Torquay,upto yesterday they had only lost 8 games,so they were obviously not a team to roll over and lay down,and thats the way it panned out,although Acci should have scored more (sean mac at least twice).
For all there effort,the best chances they had were from corners, freekicks and set pieces,which again we gave too many away and will be punished if it continues
Old 27-02-2011, 15:35   #84
God Member

I don't think we should change the system. I just think that Craney and Ryan - though polar opposite in their respective styles - have the same job title, and it's hard to put both players in positions where they will both play to their best. A little bit of a Gerrard/Lampard situation, really. I think it has to be one or the other, as Barnett offers something different. At the moment, Craney is producing the goods and Ryan isn't. For that reason, I'd like to see McConville or Putterill play instead of Ryan in the next game. A player facing goal, picking up on the scraps and Gornell's lay-offs/flick-ons; running at defenders is what we need to regain some of our attacking threat, in my opinion. I'd prefer to see Putterill as that player to start, but McConville seems much more effective (and fit).
Old 27-02-2011, 15:45   #85
Senior Member+

Well thought the pitch was the winner again!! Its an absolute disgrace.

As for the game, very scrappy as expected.

Yet another Craney screamer, deja vu from the Crewe game.

Despite him doing nowt for the other 99% of the game, thats the type of player he is, and I wouldent change a winning team.

3 games, 3 wins, cant get much better for me.

Roll on Lincoln on Saturday.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:13   #86
Senior Member+

I have to disagree shakermaker,You can play Ryan anywhere in midfield and you will get a performance out of him,he sets the tempo of the game with his energy and to rest/drop him would be suicidal.
The problem he has at the moment is the front midfield 3 of craney,charlie and himself is that Craney is still getting match fit therefore they are more rigid than interchanging(were fitness is key)'
Therefore hes getting pushed out on the wide areas and getting bogged down.
I will more of the team would show the desire he has,then we would be top of the league !!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2011, 16:47   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I have to disagree shakermaker,You can play Ryan anywhere in midfield and you will get a performance out of him,he sets the tempo of the game with his energy and to rest/drop him would be suicidal.
The problem he has at the moment is the front midfield 3 of craney,charlie and himself is that Craney is still getting match fit therefore they are more rigid than interchanging(were fitness is key)'
Therefore hes getting pushed out on the wide areas and getting bogged down.
I will more of the team would show the desire he has,then we would be top of the league !!!!!!!
I'm not disputing Jimmy's desire. I agree that his willingness to succeed is exemplary. However I can't agree with your assertion that "you can play Ryan anywhere in midfield and you will get a performance out of him", as in my opinion he has really struggled in the past few games.
If your theory about the attacking three being more rigid due to Craney's lack of match fitness and therefore movement is correct, surely the non-effective Jimmy can be sacrificed in order to regain an attacking aspect that we have lost in the absence of McConville/Putterill.
Jimmy's a brilliant player, certainly at this level, but even the best have the odd dip in form (especially when they aren't played in their most effective position) and I believe that playing McConville in his slot would be more beneficial to the team at this point in time.
Old 27-02-2011, 17:33   #88
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I believe that playing McConville in his slot would be more beneficial to the team at this point in time.
Unbelievable, barmy argument. For the last three WINNING matches McConville has been on the bench, which has gladdened my heart. If that had been the case for much of the earlier part of the season I am convinced we would now be comfortably in the play-off places. How you can seriously consider dropping Jimmy, the heart of our team, for Sean is beyond my comprehension.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 17:35   #89
Senior Member+

and mine redraine??

Why change a winning team?!?!?!?!?
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 17:41   #90
God Member

Smile Re: Torquay thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Unbelievable, barmy argument. For the last three WINNING matches McConville has been on the bench, which has gladdened my heart. If that had been the case for much of the earlier part of the season I am convinced we would now be comfortably in the play-off places. How you can seriously consider dropping Jimmy, the heart of our team, for Sean is beyond my comprehension.
But, Macca did win the Crewe game Redraine....

Sean McConville... Seany Sean McConville Try it RR, you never know, you might get to like it

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..