Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2007, 18:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: U-turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Juventus have not had ANY player come through their massive youth scheme and graduate to the first team in 15 years.
not really valid Kiwi, juventus have the dosh not to give a sh1t.
Old 22-12-2007, 18:32   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not really valid Kiwi, juventus have the dosh not to give a sh1t.
..The other part to my statement was the reason none have 'made it' into the first team is because they sell them and are making squillions doing so.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 18:49   #18

Teams like Crewe Alexandra have something like a conveyor belt of youth. They sell then with no hesitation he (dario gradi) brings a bunch of youngsters into the team. Many others do the same at this level. To be honest if none of the current youth team/reserves are in for a chance of a call-up they must be awful footballers.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 19:30   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
what proven manager is going to come to stanley for a below average salary
Why does it have to be a "proven" manager? As several others have said in previous threads, all managers have to start somewhere. This club would be ideal for someone new to management and with ideas and ideals.

Quote:
Coley has an eye for talent
Rogers, Branch, Carden, Grant, maybe Miles. A pity that the eye is closed sometimes.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 19:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Why does it have to be a "proven" manager? As several others have said in previous threads, all managers have to start somewhere. This club would be ideal for someone new to management and with ideas and ideals.

Rogers, Branch, Carden, Grant, maybe Miles. A pity that the eye is closed sometimes.
Well he paid nothing for a Team that rose 3 levels
Old 22-12-2007, 20:36   #21
God Member

Quote:
Well he paid nothing for a Team that rose 3 levels
which he got rid of the best of em [ok craney back but on loan] & left us with the rot to precede them

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 20:38   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
which he got rid of the best of em [ok craney back but on loan] & left us with the rot to precede them
Which eric got rid of. And did eric make the funds available from the sales?
(i dont know the answer) but i very much doubt he did.
Old 22-12-2007, 20:39   #23
God Member

Quote:
Teams like Crewe Alexandra have something like a conveyor belt of youth. They sell then with no hesitation he (dario gradi) brings a bunch of youngsters into the team. Many others do the same at this level. To be honest if none of the current youth team/reserves are in for a chance of a call-up they must be awful footballers.

To be fair the Crewe situation has been established for a long time now and with backing from a certain Merseyside premier league team. Dario Gradi is probably one of the best at spotting youth talent. I presume Stanley are fairly novice at youth team football ? Did they have a youth team during the non-league days ( serious question ). I also doubt they have a scouting network that can really compete with most of the football league. Unless they get lucky it could be years before any lads come through.
Old 22-12-2007, 20:40   #24
God Member

Quote:
Which eric got rid of. And did eric make the funds available from the sales?
(i dont know the answer) but i very much doubt he did.
So eric is the manager & coley is the puppet on a string is he?? Coley could of fought to keep them on the books or ensured that the funds would be for replacements

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 20:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post

Boco, Barry, Arthur, Webb, Roberts, G Roberts, Craney, Cavanagh, Dsane, Harris, Richardson, Todd, etc Antwi, Elliot, Martin, Randolph, - major loan coups. More good than bad and to say he dosent pay anything I would like to see a manager do better. If coley leaves he wont be out of work long.
Old 22-12-2007, 20:50   #26

Eric makes the final decisions regarding transfers in and out. Maybe the money went on ground developments, but it didnt go on players. They were both moving to much bigger clubs and I doubt anybody could of stopped them. Would coley of agreed for the loan of roberts to ipswich until january with a view of a permanent move if it was his decision ? I doubt it.
Old 22-12-2007, 21:45   #27

I was just reading through what has been said about the reserve and youth teams you can't criticise 16/17 year olds on the basis of they aren't playing first team football yet. How many do you see playing at this level at such an early age???

Bobby Grant had a belter of a game last year at MK Dons I agree but from both the 1st and 2nd scholars there's a goods few others who look handy too, Peter Murphy, Robert Grant, Chris Turner, Jay Bell, Lee Riley and Bee Ami just to name a few!!!

Martin Fearon is the greatest example of that as a player coming through it is a complete wait and see game and if you get your chance you take it!! Simnple as!!

Also, with regards to funding for thge academy. we haven't tried it before so we can't criticise what we don't yet know it'll take a good few years probably to see the fruits of their labours!!

Burnley for example have only brought 2 through recently in the form of Lafferty and McCann and now Rodriguez (who has not played competively in the first team yet) so it seems an overall thing not just a Stanley thing!!

I'm from the school of thinking having a youth set-up is a great thing to have at any club to be honest!!

Last edited by KarenFaz; 22-12-2007 at 21:49.
KarenFaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2007, 22:01   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenFaz View Post
Burnley for example have only brought 2 through recently in the form of Lafferty and McCann and now Rodriguez (who has not played competively in the first team yet) so it seems an overall thing not just a Stanley thing!!
It depends at what level you want to bring them through at, there are a couple that spring to mind from last year and the year before who have pulled through in to the lower reaches of the football league. One had a goal disallowed today I believe, Mark Pugh, and Neil Trotman is doing well at Oldham. But they are few and far between. And that is at a club with an established youth set up.

I said earlier it may take years but I think it's something that should be stuck at, the rewards will be there.

Perhaps the OSC could arrange a Q&A with Coley and Ashley Hoskin to see what the future does hold at that level and the plans ahead.
Old 23-12-2007, 09:01   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

Perhaps the OSC could arrange a Q&A with Coley and Ashley Hoskin to see what the future does hold at that level and the plans ahead.

theres no point, we'd probably only have a handful turn up

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..