Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 09:21   #16
God Member

Re: vs Chester

I thought Grant did well, he was very comfortable on the ball and kept it until somebody was in a position to recieve it from him. He also set up Rommy with a golden chance early on.

Stanley did well and were in control of the game until Chester scored, then the confidence just evaporated, as it has on many occasions after we concede. (I have noticed at throw-ins, when we are on top everybody wants the ball, but when we are down nobody goes near for fear of getting the ball).

The Chester defenders are solid and strong, they cut out 90% of crosses, corners and free kicks.
Their number 21 was a donkey, was twice the size and weight of Jay Harris but picked on Jay throughout the game. it was good to see Jay put the donkey on the floor late on.

Our new keeper is a bit of a dracula, but stopped at least 3 goals, also very composed with the ball at his feet, he nearly gave me a heart attack on a couple of occasions, whilst waiting to pass on the ball, with a Chester forward bearing down on him.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2007, 11:04   #17

this is doin me head in, HOW can we take points from the likes of wycombe and then 2 weeks later play like we did yesterday its beyond belief. Thought kaz had a reasonable game and kept the score down(good job bavs was injured in my opinion) toddy seems to improve every game but can,t keep it up for 90 mins, granty did well tho and i thought his experience showed,mully was totally taken out of the game and fleetwood looked like he could be good when fully match fit.some hard work needs to be done on the training ground this week shooting might be a good idea and free kicks and corners as we wasted opportunities from both yesterday. some backsides need to be kicked by JC (maybe his own first) we have two big games coming up and we need to take all the points available and get us up that table.

Last edited by stanley convert; 04-02-2007 at 11:06.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley convert View Post
some hard work needs to be done on the training ground this week shooting might be a good idea

I know they were crap, but shooting them is a bit extreme mate
Old 04-02-2007, 12:46   #19
God Member

they might move a bit faster if you shoot at their feet......
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

Bring on Mauro to bring the back line into order I say, the only thing about that is that the whisper is one of our centre halves aint too impressed and may be away. No you wont pal, you'll stay and fight for your place, you are a hero to many and you will fight to derserve that accolade. What happens if De Silva is pants?
Spot on - if anyone thinks they have a right to the shirt just by turning up, then that may be a big part of the problem. Loyalty by the manager is ok so far, but if players think they are untouchable you're not going to get the best out of them.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 13:33   #21
God Member

its just the topic i raised in my john coleman thread three weeks ago the players know he wont get sacked so they become complacent they need a kick up their backside theyll be used to his rollickins so itll just go over their heads now..they didnt look happy yesterday and that was before they conceded or am i looking to deep
Old 04-02-2007, 14:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I know they were crap, but shooting them is a bit extreme mate
nice one macca
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 14:52   #23
Super Moderator

After yesterday's disappointment, I was interested to see what the management would have to say in "The Football Paper". Maybe some reasons or explanation for our lacklustre performance? Not one word did Jimmy Bell utter about our display. Instead, he spent the whole time talking about Chester! "They came here for nothing more than a point but somehow managed to go away with all three. If I were a Chester fan, then I would be going away very disappointed because of the way they played in only coming for a point."

If the Chester fans went away disappointed (and the ones I saw certainly didn't look it), then how do you think the Stanley fans felt, Jimmy?
Old 04-02-2007, 15:11   #24

thought the game was poor yesterday. have to agree with jimmy though chester were horrible they just spoiled the game made it very slow and absolutely battered poor mullers. Once they scored they never tried to come out at all. Thought the keeper made some good saves but his kickin put us under a lot of pressure he could barely reach the half way line. am goin to reserve judgement on tony grant didnt think it was his type of game yesterday it was too scrappy. only positives for me where phil and jay. thought jay was brilliant he could be the next one to leave the stanley conveyor belt.(i hope not for a while anyway) if he keeps on the way he has been for the last 6-8 weeks he will be my player of the year i think toddy has blew himself out he hasnt been the same player for the last month or so
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 15:25   #25

Before the game and after recent results/preformances i thought we would have beat Chester, they were a crap team at their place and they were crap yesterday, but for what ever reasons Stanley didnt` want to know, that is without doubt the worst game i have ever seen, Jay Harris was the only one that stood out, the rest i wouldn`t have paid this week after the ****e we had to watch, i dont think anyone minds if we lose and play well but to go a goal down midway through the first half and throw the towel in is a bit much, also Colemans tactics/selections have to come in to question sometimes, cant believe he put Mangan on before Brown, mind you he could have put anyone up front yesterday and it wouldn`t have mattered the service was very poor to our forwards, i think that is one game i`m going to put to the back of my mind, all in all it was just not good enough for a team fighting for survival.
Old 04-02-2007, 15:53   #26
God Member

i still think we should be scouring the scottish leagues to add a bit of passion yesterday they couldnt even spell passion the only way we could have got three points is being on the mobile while driving a car

Last edited by cmonstanley; 04-02-2007 at 15:56.
Old 04-02-2007, 18:24   #27

I couldnt see the point of making a double substitution on 85 mins. Surely if they were to be used better to have made the switch earlier as it was fairly obvious as the second half progressed towards the hour mark that Stanley didnt appear to be making any lasting impression on the Chester defence.

I dont know about distributing vouchers if the games abandoned but I think we should also qualify for one if given a display as witnessed yesterday.

If you spin the Windows Vista CD backwards you can hear satanic messages. Worse is if you spin it forward, it installs Vista on your computer.
No.9 Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 20:02   #28
Senior Member+

I was not at the Chester game so I have to rely on what everyone is saying - but this does not sound like the Stanley performance we have known so far this season. Even in adversity, there has always been effort and spirit. These two qualities seem to have been sadly lacking yesterday.

For the last few weeks, everyone has been calling for new players. So we now have them - one seems to be unfit. Another appears to play in the Makelele style - and the other players will surely have to get used to this role and style. The consequence is that it will be some time before the impact of these two arrivals is felt in the team. As for the centre back, he sounds promising. I suspect that Michael Welch has been carrying an injury for several weeks - certainly in the games I have seen, he has been limping well before half time.

Others have commented on substitutions and comments made by the management team. I don't know the general feeling is but I have often found it difficult to understand the choice and timing of substitutions. And post-match comments by the managerial team have also been odd. Anyway, that's my two penn'orth.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 20:18   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I thought the 'keeper stopped a couple of shots with good saves, but he didn't command his area and he looks very suspect on catches. He fumbled a couple of times today and one of the ones into his body was a carbon copy of the one he fumbled for the reserves on Wednesday.
I do agree that it wasn't the best defensive leadership by the lad, but in another aspect; he has just come to the team mid-week and he was put straight into the first team. He hasn't actually had an experience with our defence and never seemed to know what they would do next. That being said, the defence didn't exactly put in the best effort to support him...

I agree with the majoity of points made too. We'll just have to let the club know we are still behind them and hopefully it could lift some battered spirits! Sing on Stanley!

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 21:46   #30

Was yesterday's match even worse than the hammering we took at Bristol Rovers on 23rd December ?

I thought that was bad enough, but it was very disappointing that we got nothing out of yesterdays game. I was full of hope after the match against Wycombe two weeks ago but from the sound of it, this was a poor Stanley performance.

It was a shame that Grimsby won 6-0, but at least this puts more pressure on Boston - and Wrexham also appear to be on the slide. We really HAVE to win a few games now to pull clear of the relegation zone - and I do fear for us if these wins are not forthcoming.
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..