Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 14:01   #1
God Member

vs Chester

G;day. Whats the weather like there today?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2007, 14:27   #2
God Member

Re: vs Chester

Portugese bloke couldn't have recieved his international clearence as he's not even on the bench.
Old 03-02-2007, 14:30   #3
God Member

Oh no 0-1
Old 03-02-2007, 15:42   #4
God Member

...Meanwhile,over at Boston,Grimsby are going ballistic...6-0 !!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 16:44   #5

i just cant beleive that after all the signings we didnt look like we were gunna score in a million years. The new goalie was good though. Does anyone else think that Welsh looked really poor today.

Glad edwards played though, he cleared it off the line 3 times!!!!!!

we live in hope
stanleyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 16:56   #6
Resting in Peace

Welsh and Rocky were both very poor and left Shrek badly exposed 2 or 3 times, but he rescued them with some great saves. Thought he was at fault for their goal, however, as he failed to grab the high cross for their easy goal. Their distribution also was absolutely appalling, gifting the ball back to Chester time after time.
We can't physically match big strong teams like Chester and it's very worrying when all our rivals seem to average about 3 inches taller and 14 pounds heavier per man than our lot.
Worried now.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 17:00   #7
Senior Member+

Edwards was great at the back but i thought toddy was great first half and in the first half i thought we where going to score a couple! However they scored and in second half we was poor i thought, giving the ball away non-stop. Last 15 minutes i couldnt see the game anyway. However i think the best chance we had was mullin with his head. Except from that it was very poor performance!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 17:03   #8
Senior Member+

Well I am not sure about everyone else, but I thought todays match was abysmal.The ref was truly appalling and his assistants inept. Fleetwood and Mullin were barged, thumped and literally bullied off the ball more times than I care to count. The number of fouls/handballs they got away with is amazing, mind you I thought we were lucky in the first half not to give away a penalty, it looked clear cut to me, but the ref just waved play on. The players seemed afraid to shoot and seemed more intent on passing around the box to get a better angle, which never came. Rommy seemed off his game (which is to be expected), and yes I agree, thank god for Phil Edwards.
I hope Mauro Almeida's clearance comes through soon, because it looks like we are going to need him. Things can only get better next time out please. Otherwise its back to Morecambe, Burton etc etc.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 20:34   #9

Don't see how anyone can think the goalie had a good game, spilled and flapped, the few "great saves" were more bad shooting than good keeping, I saw Fearon play in the reserves on Tues and he looks the better option IMO.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 21:10   #10
God Member

I agree with Samf, I didn't think the goalie was too great at all. Not commanding enough for a keeper of his presence and 'pedigree'. We also never tested their keeper with a single shot, the tame header from 10 yards straight into his hands was the only thing he had to do all afternoon.

Bring on Mauro to bring the back line into order I say, the only thing about that is that the whisper is one of our centre halves aint too impressed and may be away. No you wont pal, you'll stay and fight for your place, you are a hero to many and you will fight to derserve that accolade. What happens if De Silva is pants?

Fleetwood made a couple of intelligent runs but overall seemed lightweight and not up for a bruising battle with some neanderthal centre halves.

I thought Grant played some nice simple stuff and got his toe end to a couple of interceptions by virtue of having read the game better than the recipient of the pass. Tired towards the end and was deservedly subbed, but better things are to come from the Lottery Grant.

My summary of the game is that we got what we deserved from it, nowt.

Again the crowd seemed up for it in the first half, but without the assistance of either the rest of the crowd, or an echoical roof, it petered out in the second half and became a sporadical effort only when a half hearted attck gave any encouragement.

I seriously expected the mini revival to become full blooded today, but there seemed to be inspiration to suggest that any sor tof corner has been turned. But we will grind out enough points here and there to be safe but we will not be safe with a few games to go. Its gonna go near the wire for us I'm afraid, I just hope that the last home match to Macclesfield will guarantee the safe point rather than away to MK Dons!
Old 03-02-2007, 21:18   #11
Full Member+

It's interesting to see that there are so few people posting on here tonight after today's appalling display. It was difficult to see any positives from the game, with the possible exception of Phil Edwards and, of course, little Jay, who never knows when he's beaten. The defence in general was poor, leaving Shrek exposed, though I have to say he didn't exactly inspire me with confidence anyway and he was certainlhy partly responsible for the goal. The midfield never looked like creating anything, though there was the very occasional glimpse of what Grant might be capable of. Rommy wasn't himself, though the poor guy never seems to know where he's going to be playing next. Toddy died in the second half. Fleetwood didn't look anywhere near as good as the Hereford fans have talked him up to be and, to be honest, I thought Paul never got a look in today against their big defenders. They were the kind of big, bruising team that we find difficult to cope with and we can only hope that we perform better against others in the future. Today, I felt that, for the first time, we LOOKED like a relegation outfit.Let's just hope I'm wrong!!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 21:56   #12

We played well early doors but Chester, as they did in our first league game at their place out muscled us and stamped their authority on the game. Also when we got into good positions we seemed scared to have a shot (if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the lottery) and passed the ball or took that one touch too many. As has been mentioned our defence looked weak and every time the ball went into our box from long throws and corners it was panic stations. Its all very well practicing free kicks on the training ground but we need to practice defending set pieces also, (which i'm sure they do despite what we witness on match day).
Old 03-02-2007, 23:14   #13
Senior Member+

Agree with points made above in the main, particularly Oldgobbin.

We've got 10 points from last sixteen games, 16 games to go!!

David Brown sparked a mini revival on his return, but we have a new lad on loan who's recovering from an illness, why ? .

Still think we'll be OK, but it'll be an eternity between games.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:39   #14
Senior Member+

Mostly agree with the above comments. I thought the 'keeper stopped a couple of shots with good saves, but he didn't command his area and he looks very suspect on catches. He fumbled a couple of times today and one of the ones into his body was a carbon copy of the one he fumbled for the reserves on Wednesday.

Grant looked nothing more than average. He played easy balls all afternoon, but nothing above the simple ball. I also wonder if he was one of the main reasons why we played at a much slower tempo than normal? I must admit, I was expecting more from him.

Fleetwood looks exactly as expected. Suffering from a lack of confidence and a load of fitness. Why else would Hereford allow him to go out on loan?

The rest of the team looked so low that it's going to take a gargantuan effort to turn things round. If it's true that Welch (I assume it's him that isn't happy with his place being under threat) is talking of wanting to leave, then that sums the situation up perfectly. We've conceded goals all season, so many times down to inadequate defending. It's not as if the defence is water tight and changes are being proposed. Pathetic!!

I've felt pessimistic for a long time now and I've seen nothing to change that feeling at all.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Grant looked nothing more than average. He played easy balls all afternoon, but nothing above the simple ball. I also wonder if he was one of the main reasons why we played at a much slower tempo than normal? I must admit, I was expecting more from him.

Thats exactly what Grant does. Plays the ball out from in front of the defence to one of his own team mates. He might have played the simple ball but how many times did he give it away, I'll be suprised if you come back and tell me it was often. One thing you won't see from Grant is a 50 yard run taking on all opposition players. Another thing you will rarely see unless you attend about 100 of his games is a goal.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..