Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2007, 19:34   #121
Senior Member+

Re: vs Swindon

Also just returned from the game. I totally agree with Urban Spaceman. There is something clearly wrong - and let's stop blaming the loss of Craney and Roberts. I accept that Gary Roberts was playing well, but Craney looked very ordinary in some of those early games this season (how quickly we forget!!) and only showed signs of a return to form when he took on a more forward role.

But they've gone - they are history. Individually, the present players are giving their best, but it is not enough. In the games I have seen in the latter part of the season, we have been tactically inept. We resort too quickly to the long ball through the middle seeking a flick on from Paul Mullin. I have yet to see evidence of any move worked out on the training ground. A player in possession has to look where colleagues are - there is never any suggestion of playing the ball into space knowing that someone will be ready to run onto it. So, too often we are caught in possession while waiting for and looking for the movement.

I also have to say that I am growing very weary of Messrs Coleman and Bell constantly sniping at the officials. I would like them to spend more time and effort encouraging the team, and changing tactics as the game progresses. Defenders have learnt how to snuff out the threat from Paul Mullin.

There is much more to be said - but maybe not here and not now.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2007, 19:38   #122

We were in trouble before jc put roberts up as a striker. He never made the signings in summer, never mind january. Craney, Roberts and Elliott minus them from the squad all last season - we would of been lucky to make play-offs.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 19:39   #123
God Member

It's not Coley's fault for the lack of signings.
Transfers are difficult things with no finincial backing.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 19:43   #124
Senior Member+

I wonder if any of the Stockport fans who visit this forum could tell us why there has been such a big turnaround there. Is it new players? Is it a new manager? They were in a precarious position at the end of last season.
Old 10-03-2007, 19:48   #125
Member.

John Colman was on Radio Lancs. this evening, he stated he’d never felt so low and depressed since his Mother and father Died. His voice and tone was of a man suffering from great disappointment and despair.

He made it clear that we needed to import new players if we are to stay up and that was is aim although he said it would be incredibly difficult to find them. When asked if the club could remain in the league he basically said not unless he could find a couple of new players. This was a grime message and a blow to hear.

We need to get behind this man and his team and press home our wholehearted support and just pray that the existing lads gel together and they work with any new players coming in and keep us up in the league. Everything is possible to those who believe.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 19:53   #126

Then if that is accurate its erics fault.

If jc cant lure players then who is to blame?
Powers of persuasion seems to be an attribute mr coleman does not have.
He picks the team, He picks the players brought in, He decides who goes, he decides who rotts away without having a chance, he decides who to release, he decides what formation to play, he decides to stick with utter ****e, he decides to go to spain for a treat for playing so crap, he decides to play tennis in afternoon training ( Granada Reports ), he decides on training methods, he decides they dont do any upper body work ie weight training, he dosent rate david brown (prefers mangan?)etc etc etc etc.

So mr coleman is entirley faultless. He took us from the unibond to conference to league - forever gratious. But this season has proved he isnt up to this level.
Old 10-03-2007, 20:02   #127

Jc seems an honest hardworking man. He admitted months ago that maybe he had let sentiment rule his decisions. But still continued to play them to this day. I like the fella, its not personal its football. Its a tough game and can leave people totally dejected when they are rejected, or sacked - thats the game. Its a mess, but if Jc does leave im sure we will find the truth out about him being financed to make moves etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 20:03   #128
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_was_A_red_ View Post
Then if that is accurate its erics fault.

So mr coleman is entirley faultless. He took us from the unibond to conference to league - forever gratious. But this season has proved he isnt up to this level.
He isn't, or the team isn't? he dosn't kick the ball and he dosn't stand between the sticks and keep the balls out. This is a much a matter of what happens on the pitch as much as off it.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 20:13   #129
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
John Colman ..... made it clear that we needed to import new players if we are to stay up and that was is aim although he said it would be incredibly difficult to find them. When asked if the club could remain in the league he basically said not unless he could find a couple of new players. This was a grime message and a blow to hear.

We need to get behind this man and his team and press home our wholehearted support and just pray that the existing lads gel together and they work with any new players coming in and keep us up in the league. Everything is possible to those who believe.
We have imported at least three new players - but we still use the same ineffective tactics. We all want to believe - but those of us at today's game and many other recent games are starting to have serious doubts about what is possible.
Old 10-03-2007, 20:18   #130
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
He isn't, or the team isn't? he dosn't kick the ball and he dosn't stand between the sticks and keep the balls out. This is a much a matter of what happens on the pitch as much as off it.
I agree with you to some extent Doug. Coleman has worked miracles with no money. However, during his 'reign' we've never had a sound defence. JEFF has been saying "if we had a defence, we'd be dangerous" for years on various forums.

I also continuously notice a lack of creativity at dead ball situations and an inability to change tactics. We play one way and that's it. Much of that will be due to the quality of the players and their ability to play in different ways, but a large proportion of it must also lie at the feet of the management team.

And before people start screaming, I'm not calling for Coleman's head. The problems at the club lie much deeper than at the level of one man.
Old 10-03-2007, 20:54   #131
Senior Member+

Let's stop the post mortems and try to enjoy what remains of the ride. I am hoping to get an exeat to attend the Macc and Milton Keynes games as the last Accrington league and league fixtures respectively.

There is a strong correlation between league positions and team's wage budgets. On that basis John Coleman has done a reasonable job. We go down with him and Jimmy at the helm.

Marvellous though the supporters who come through the turnstiles are the town of Accrington has not shown much of an appetite for league football. As with the old Stanley there lies the root of the problem.

Whenever I arrived I was dismayed by the number of young people travelling out of the town in the opposite direction instead of going to the match I had travelled over 80 miles to see.

Against this background I think the club needs to hang onto the most successful non league management partnership it has ever had.

I for one was not one of those people who considered the Conference Trophy an irksome reminder of a non league past that Stanley had put behind them for ever. No one who attended the Chester away game could think that. I thought it was quite possibly the pinnacle of Stanley's achievement.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 21:14   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
There is a strong correlation between league positions and team's wage budgets. On that basis John Coleman has done a reasonable job. We go down with him and Jimmy at the helm.

Marvellous though the supporters who come through the turnstiles are the town of Accrington has not shown much of an appetite for league football. As with the old Stanley there lies the root of the problem.

Whenever I arrived I was dismayed by the number of young people travelling out of the town in the opposite direction instead of going to the match I had travelled over 80 miles to see.

Against this background I think the club needs to hang onto the most successful non league management partnership it has ever had.

I for one was not one of those people who considered the Conference Trophy an irksome reminder of a non league past that Stanley had put behind them for ever. No one who attended the Chester away game could think that. I thought it was quite possibly the pinnacle of Stanley's achievement.

Therein lies problem one - we need to attract more support for the last 5 home games of the season. It aint over YET!

Herein lies the second problem. Yes both John and Jimmy are the best Stanley managers for a long time, and yes they are both excellent non-league managers, however, we are now Football League, even if it is for another 9 games only. Things have to improve if we are to survive.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 21:24   #133
God Member

The fact is we are in this situation because the club has less now than what it had when we won the conference.
If we do get relegated, which is very likely, we will struggle in the Conference and will have to rebuild yet again.
I for one feel let down.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 21:27   #134
God Member

BUT THINK OF THE POSITIVES!!!

Half-time pints again and we'll all be happy and the Dingles and Darreners will be flooding back through the gates!
Old 10-03-2007, 21:57   #135
Senior Member+

macca you're deluding yourself buddy, the segregation thing now it has been imposed is likely to stay, so you're gonna need that much talked about clayton end bar still I'm afraid.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..