Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2007, 10:09   #1
God Member

what we need is .......

Leighton McGivern
Old 19-08-2007, 10:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: what we need is .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Leighton McGivern
If we're being honest, I don't think he's the answer.
Old 19-08-2007, 10:34   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
If we're being honest, I don't think he's the answer.
Until he is given a chance we will never know, personally I think we need McEvilly to lose some weight then learn to pass the ball in fact why doesn't he p*** off back to Wrexham, where is D'sane, why not drop Mullin if he is not doing the job?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:39   #4
Senior Member+

dont forget - leighton had some fitness issues last season and still doesnt look as sharp as he could be.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 10:58   #5
God Member

When I have seen him whether that be training, warming up or playing the lad has enthusiasm in abundance and can score goals!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:35   #6

What is with all the McEvilly bashing????

He may be a little over weight and not the fastest player we have but he's caused no end of problems in the last two home games, i don't hear anyone slagging mullin off who imo hasn't done anything. Our poblems are no wing players and weare at least two defenders short.
neilhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Until he is given a chance we will never know, personally I think we need McEvilly to lose some weight then learn to pass the ball in fact why doesn't he p*** off back to Wrexham, where is D'sane, why not drop Mullin if he is not doing the job?
Last week Mullin was the hero, in your words here he has gone to Zero

Mullin always delivers and gives 110%, one defeat wont spoil the season no more than one win last week made the season.

Football - it's a funny old game
Give us the old gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 17:32   #8
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give us the old gree View Post

Last week Mullin was the hero, in your words here he has gone to Zero
I should have used the word substitute instead of drop. Mullin was inaffective yesterday and should have been taken off.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 19-08-2007, 17:33   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhaj View Post
What is with all the McEvilly bashing????

He may be a little over weight and not the fastest player we have but he's caused no end of problems in the last two home games, i don't hear anyone slagging mullin off who imo hasn't done anything. Our poblems are no wing players and weare at least two defenders short.
Simple answer - he's overweight, and he's over here at Accy. Sorry, but until he puts in a decent performance instead of waiting for the ball at feet, he will never be the first choice in my team. He also sails very close to the wind with bookings etc. although I have to admit he didn't get one yesterday. I'm with others on this one, give Roscoe D'sane a chance, that is what he was brought in for. If we have no wing players, why were Rommy and Miles swapping wings during yesterdays game. Were you there? Even Whalley when he came on went wide. Yesterday may have been a one off, a blip so to speak, but we were crap, plain and simple.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Simple answer - he's overweight, and he's over here at Accy. Sorry, but until he puts in a decent performance instead of waiting for the ball at feet, he will never be the first choice in my team. He also sails very close to the wind with bookings etc. although I have to admit he didn't get one yesterday. I'm with others on this one, give Roscoe D'sane a chance, that is what he was brought in for. If we have no wing players, why were Rommy and Miles swapping wings during yesterdays game. Were you there? Even Whalley when he came on went wide. Yesterday may have been a one off, a blip so to speak, but we were crap, plain and simple.
yes i was there yesterday and the simple answer to that is boco isn't a winger and from what i have seen of miles he isn't either. i do like the look of whalley and mcgivern but they don't seem to be getting a chance! i'd still stick with Evil for another few games yet.
neilhaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 19:15   #11
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhaj View Post
i'd still stick with Evil for another few games yet.
At the expense of Mullin?
Why not try Evil and McGiven for a game see how it goes, my bet is for the first 45 mins it would be ok provided Evil passes instead of trying to do it himself all the time. He looks ok for half a game after that he goes missing that's when Mullin could be brought on.

Old 19-08-2007, 19:45   #12
God Member

the problem is that we have Mullin, Evil, Dsane, McGivern as four out and out strikers but we persevere with the same 'format' . For me, I think we should be swapping and changing the personnel according to who we are playing against. If we are playing against neanderthal defenders we need the battering rams, if we are playing against cleverer defenders we need cleverer forwards. I love Mullers and I think that Evil has his good points, but we have four strikers and we should use them, not just for substitutions but from the start. If an opposition manager knows we play Mullin EVERY game then he has got part of tactics sorted before he even gets to the ground. If they turn up and find Dsane and McGivern on the team sheet they then only have an hour or so to change their tactics accordingly.
Old 19-08-2007, 23:12   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
the problem is that we have Mullin, Evil, Dsane, McGivern as four out and out strikers but we persevere with the same 'format' . For me, I think we should be swapping and changing the personnel according to who we are playing against. If we are playing against neanderthal defenders we need the battering rams, if we are playing against cleverer defenders we need cleverer forwards. I love Mullers and I think that Evil has his good points, but we have four strikers and we should use them, not just for substitutions but from the start. If an opposition manager knows we play Mullin EVERY game then he has got part of tactics sorted before he even gets to the ground. If they turn up and find Dsane and McGivern on the team sheet they then only have an hour or so to change their tactics accordingly.
thets true and dont know why we dont play mullin further forward where he should be if he is an out and out striker.its getting too predictable play some fancy midfield slick passing ,mistake down the left hand side they score ,start to panic bang ball up to mullers..lose ball 18 yards out the usual suspects daydreaming out of position running back and making last ditch tackles..
Old 20-08-2007, 11:30   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I think we need McEvilly to lose some weight then learn to pass the ball
You forgot the bit about someone also needs to teach him to play football... lol.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 12:00   #15
God Member

Some of McEvilly's headed flicks were very good on Saturday, you can see from those little touches that he hasn't lost his talent. However I do think Evil, aswell as his poor ball control and poor fitness, has lost his bottle somewhat and the only remains of his positive aggression on the field is merely him playing up to his own image in a brainless, brutish way.
Along with everyone else, I do hope we get Evil playing to his full potential (which I don't think he's ever done), as he could shock a lot of teams in this league.
Leighton McGivern doesn't look as sharp as he was. That should come with some more match practice against the big boys in League 2 though.

My suggestion? Mully upfront with Whalley playing off him in the Scholes role.
Lord knows Whalley can't cross for the life of him, & so is no use on the wing. I think he'd do a lot more good for the team up front.

Last edited by shakermaker; 20-08-2007 at 12:08.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..