Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2023, 19:35   #106
Full Member+

Re: Who should be on the retained list?

Seamus signs a new 1 year deal and Sangare leaves to join Livingstone.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-06-2023, 00:26   #107
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
If I rumours were correct, Stanley earned a similar figure for the Leeds Utd cup tie in January. The only problem was that the transfer window closed almost immediately afterwards, so the money didn’t strengthen the squad for the latter half of the season. The results of which we now live with.
The current transfer window doesn’t close until September 1st, by which time Stanley will have played five games.
So, like what happened with Burgess, a valuable player can get sold when the season has begun and it could be too late to spend the fee on a comparable replacement.
I agree with his Lordship - I’d rather Tommy stays for at least the first half of the season rather than our best players are sold off and, a month into the season, the club is left struggling to pick up free agents or searching for non-league rough diamonds, again.

Stanley got £110k for TV the gate under £100k after expenses and VAT at £25pp etc, even before concessions factored in, so won't be half of £300k.

Basic maths.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 06:54   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Stanley got £110k for TV the gate under £100k after expenses and VAT at £25pp etc, even before concessions factored in, so won't be half of £300k.

Basic maths.
My point wasn’t about maths, basic or otherwise.
But extra marks for setting down your working out, Chewbacca.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 07:29   #109
God Member

From our CEO David Burgess this morning there needs to be more " trimming " of the squad before any incoming signing,s.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 08:09   #110

Did we get anything for Sangare? Still had a year left on his contract.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 10:29   #111
God Member

Good luck to the lad but I was hoping he wouldn’t be ‘trimmed’ as he appeared to be a useful and adaptable player.
But, heh ho, no doubt he’ll be replaced by someone even better at half the price.
Old 27-06-2023, 10:43   #112
Senior Member+

I always like Mo Sangare when he played, but his injury history doesn't make good reading.

Going off Andy Holt's comments in his recent video interview, having players on the payroll who seem prone to injury isn't going to be an option this season.

Of course, injuries can't be anticipated, but a player's history can be a factor in mitigating risk.
MikeA and pifco like this.
Old 27-06-2023, 11:27   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I always like Mo Sangare when he played, but his injury history doesn't make good reading.

Going off Andy Holt's comments in his recent video interview, having players on the payroll who seem prone to injury isn't going to be an option this season.

Of course, injuries can't be anticipated, but a player's history can be a factor in mitigating risk.
Well that's quite a few more leaving on that synopsis 🤔
Old 27-06-2023, 11:48   #114
God Member

We still have a squad of 27 players 13 of which are classed has midfielder,s, Liegh could well be sold on if the interest rumours come to fruition personally think Shaun Whalley, Bailey Sloane and David Morgan could well be others that are possible,s for moving on.
Old 27-06-2023, 12:38   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
We still have a squad of 27 players 13 of which are classed has midfielder,s, Liegh could well be sold on if the interest rumours come to fruition personally think Shaun Whalley, Bailey Sloane and David Morgan could well be others that are possible,s for moving on.
Shaun Whalley had the MOST appearances of any player in last year’s season and, I recall, didn’t have many, if any, injuries.
If injury history is the metric, would he be a possible to be ‘trimmed’ when there are others, of equal age or less, who were plagued with recurrent injuries?
Watchdog likes this.
Old 27-06-2023, 14:33   #116
God Member

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/

Best bit of news in ages

Need people like him at the Club
Tin Monkey and chevyfire like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 09:29   #117
God Member

Listening to Jimmy Bells interview on Lancashire Sport it sounds like they are still working on budgets and seeing if any of their targets would be affordable says we have the making,s of a decent squad but foremost in the thinking is to compete at this level and avoid a further drop, also it sounds as if the players have all been made aware of were they stand so I assume they know who they want moved on, wouldn't name names on potential targets for other clubs but said six or seven fit that category and hopefully all will stay but obviously any bids that do come in have to be looked at in the best interests of the club.
Old 28-06-2023, 12:25   #118
God Member

Meanwhile, other clubs are signing up their ‘targets’.
I hope I’m wrong but I fear, as was often the case in the past, Stanley will not have finalised a squad until the away game at Notts County.
Old 28-06-2023, 13:22   #119
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Meanwhile, other clubs are signing up their ‘targets’.
I hope I’m wrong but I fear, as was often the case in the past, Stanley will not have finalised a squad until the away game at Notts County.
Is it me or since the club have progressed so well and professionally off the pitch with the stadium and the hub and all the great facilities and the academy,s the playing side or football side we seem to be losing our way especially in the recruitment department.
Old 28-06-2023, 14:33   #120
God Member

Smile Re: Who should be on the retained list?

I might be in a minority, but if it were not for the terrible luck with injuries, we would have survived last season......??

Injuries lead to players being played out of position, this lead to some poor discipline.

It lead also to players like Dan Martin and Aaron Pickles - to name but two - playing far more than would have been expected!!

Add to that some terrible performances - more than are acceptable.

Also - and I am not a Cashyite - bad decisions from the officials.

We have lost one of our best players in Mitch Clark, we cannot lose too many more like him......

Look at the difference Seamus made when he came back at the death, had he have played 5 more games, we would not have been going to Barrow

Watchdog likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..