Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2015, 13:28   #16
God Member

Re: Wycombe Game

The pitch is infinitely better than it has ever been. It seems to cope with prolonged rain but can't cope with a monsoon that suddenly arrives.

in all honesty what could be done to improve it? It sits on a clay bed which really couldn't be dug up no matter how much realistic money you want to throw at it. Perhaps the only answer would be to throw another foot of soil across the top of it?

Cost of action/potential loss of revenue for odd game
...................profit or loss.....................................
Red-Osbornello and choirboy like this.
Old 05-12-2015, 14:51   #17
Full Member+

Just remember - The last time we had pitch troubles, we covered the ground in sand and got into the playoffs. Bit of sand this year and we'd be champions... :-P
maccawozzagod likes this.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 19:25   #18

Perhaps Carlisle Utd need a strongly worded letter to get the covers on for the next game!!

And any chance of one to the train companies for Saturday in case your letter to the club works for Saturday. A little bit of wind and rain and the network grinds to a halt Total disgrace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brunton Park.jpg (54.0 KB, 15 views)
AccyMad and Revived Red like this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 19:50   #19
Senior Member+

Yonmon. Are you suggesting here that Cashy has another job ......?
Quote;"agony aunt in Women's Weekly when viewing his/her posts, I do get a little confused". ( Cashy knows what I mean !).

Perhaps Somerset is in touch with a deity far beyond our humble northern comprehension Yonmon???......
......The Aztec god Tlaloc.....Tlaloc was an important deity in Aztec religion; as supreme god of the rains, he was also by extension a god of fertility and of water. He was widely worshipped as a beneficent giver of life and sustenance, but he was also feared for his ability to send hail, thunder, and lightning, and for being the lord of the powerful element of water.
....Or am I just p....ng into the wind?
Or is Somerset suffering from imbibing too much of Dorset's fruity nectar?...hic!

Last edited by choirboy; 06-12-2015 at 19:53.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 19:55   #20
God Member

Brunton Park has always been flood prone but the regular top dressing of Eden silt it gets every decade, together with Cumbrian turf, is why they've otherwise always had one of the best pitches in the country.

By the way, I'm praying Wycombe pull one of the top Premier clubs tomorrow night in the hope they're still thinking about it on Saturday.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 19:58   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
.....Tlaloc ...was also feared for his ability to send hail, thunder, and lightning,....
I don't care how old he is, get his agent on the phone and sign him up now.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 20:04   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The pitch is infinitely better than it has ever been. It seems to cope with prolonged rain but can't cope with a monsoon that suddenly arrives.

In all honesty what could be done to improve it? It sits on a clay bed which really couldn't be dug up no matter how much realistic money you want to throw at it. Perhaps the only answer would be to throw another foot of soil across the top of it?

Cost of action/potential loss of revenue for odd game
...................profit or loss.....................................
Good point.....I live in CLAYton le Moors and stand on the CLAYton end of our ground. Next door to our ground is a massive quarry where they dug out CLAY which was used for the famous NORI brick! I played on our pitch in Stanley's early days in the seventies and we had to play around the large puddles!
When I compare then with now I cannot believe what an amazing pitch we now have! Credit to the club for where we have travelled to in all respects including the pitch, and to Buzza for maintaining such a wonderful playing surface. The weather this Autumn has been very unusual in that we had a bone dry October and totally sodden November. Lets hope that we can make it a 'Frosty' December for all of our opponents in the rest of this month and then we can wish them all a "Very HUMBUG Christmas".
ON STANLEY ON...even with FLIPPERS on!
Old 06-12-2015, 20:06   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
Perhaps Carlisle Utd need a strongly worded letter to get the covers on for the next game!!

And any chance of one to the train companies for Saturday in case your letter to the club works for Saturday. A little bit of wind and rain and the network grinds to a halt Total disgrace.
Am I correct in recalling that Carlisle played on this pitch only three days after the flood?....
Love from Noah!
Old 06-12-2015, 20:51   #24

Quote:
Am I correct in recalling that Carlisle played on this pitch only three days after the flood?....
Love from Noah!
This is a new flood apparently but yes they did after the one before the Portsmouth game I think
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:31   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
If heavy rain is forecast for next Saturday for the Wycombe game, I will post a letter to the club asking for the pitch to be covered ahead of the rain because I don't want there to be two home games in a row postponed due to bad weather which would be a disgrace.
You promised to write a letter in your posting on 9 January this year. Did you ever write it?

I have some questions for you.

If the pitch were to be covered, where would the water go?

Will you be writing not only to Carlisle United but also to the leader of the council in that city to ask why more areas were not covered?

Do you actually have any connection with Accrington? Or are you a Yeovil supporter eagerly looking forward to a trip to Barrow next season? Assuming the latter, you could call in to Carlisle (and Lancaster) during the day and check personally on flood prevention provision.
yonmon likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:15   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
I don't care how old he is, get his agent on the phone and sign him up now.
too late he,s off to Morecambe.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 16:05   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yonmon. Are you suggesting here that Cashy has another job ......?
Quote;"agony aunt in Women's Weekly when viewing his/her posts, I do get a little confused". ( Cashy knows what I mean !).

Perhaps Somerset is in touch with a deity far beyond our humble northern comprehension Yonmon???......
......The Aztec god Tlaloc.....Tlaloc was an important deity in Aztec religion; as supreme god of the rains, he was also by extension a god of fertility and of water. He was widely worshipped as a beneficent giver of life and sustenance, but he was also feared for his ability to send hail, thunder, and lightning, and for being the lord of the powerful element of water.
....Or am I just p....ng into the wind?
Or is Somerset suffering from imbibing too much of Dorset's fruity nectar?...hic!
I was merely alluding to our shared opinion of the quality of Somerset's opinions and ramblings when mentioning our mutual friend !.
As for his reaction to your mention of that well-known Aztec wit old Tlaloc, I await this with ' bated breath !..or even the baited breath employed by the ginger Tom who ate Gorgonzola and blew into Mouseholes !.
To return to as near normality as I can manage these days, I really do, with the utmost sincerity commiserate with Carlisle and the host of Junior Clubs who are struggling to cope with the results of the deluge of last weekend !...conditions which do perhaps put a realistic perspective on the bleatings of anyone expressing disgust at the state of The Crown at this time !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 19:06   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
To return to as near normality as I can manage these days, I really do, with the utmost sincerity commiserate with Carlisle and the host of Junior Clubs who are struggling to cope with the results of the deluge of last weekend !...conditions which do perhaps put a realistic perspective on the bleatings of anyone expressing disgust at the state of The Crown at this time !.
My thoughts are with Carlisle residents who are affected by the floods. Looking at the state of Carlisle's pitch, it's way beyond anything that Buzzer and Accy have ever had to cope with:
Storm Desmond: Aerial images show Carlisle floods - ITV News

I just hope the locals came come out of this with as little hassle as can be possible and that United return to normality sooner rather than later.
KiTChener, yonmon and sherry like this.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 21:03   #29
Senior Member+

For the benefit of us exiles, did Accy or anywhere in the immediate area suffer any significant flood problems over the weekend?
Old 07-12-2015, 21:18   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Not to my knowledge, it dont tend to flood a great deal around here, the river stink aint no Rhine or Danube.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..