Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2007, 11:45   #1

things you take for granted

im over here in sunny ibiza, ok im living the dream but there are certain things that back in the uk that i for one take for granted but when its not around im actually craving them i have 4 months to go too!!! help!
for example im am hunting all over for a good pub or cafe that does a good english sunday roast, so far ive had 3 but the chicken or beef tastes of plastic and the veg are foreign and not your typical carrots and cauliflower. back home i only have a sunday dinner once every blue moon.
chocolate!!!! english chocolate!!! there chocolate here is nasty, and when you do find somewhere that sells english choccy as soon as you touch it it melts and isnt as good!
my mum,dad and sister i suppose when im back home all i do is moan that i want my own house and spend as much time away from home as possible, but the tiniest things like screaming for someone to get out the bathroom and taking the harry hiss out of mum and taking my dad for a drink when he actually pays. everyone misses there family and friends i suppose but i admit i take it for granted back home.
what do you take for granted even though if its only for one or two weeks???
carla d is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2007, 15:12   #2
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: things you take for granted

I visit Malta frequently. The one thing I miss when I'm there is being able to turn on the tap to get a drink of water or fill the kettle. Maltese water is perfectly safe to drink but it tastes absolutely foul and it's so salty you're more thirsty than ever when you've drunk some.
Old 16-06-2007, 15:39   #3
Beacon of light

A really good cup of tea. I hate tea bags and even if i take Tea leaves away with me, the tea never tastes the same.
I know i have taken tea to Spain and even though the water was boiling the leaves floated in a thick crust on top.......it is the first thing I do when i put the suitcases down.....fill the kettle and make a really good brew.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 15:42   #4
Resident Waffler

The mention of Malta makes me miss Kinnie! But somebody has promised to send me some.

I'm just trying to think what I take for granted here and I can't think of anything. Maybe I need to spend some time away and think about what I'm missing.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:07   #5
Give, give, give member

I once spent three months working for a fashion magazine in Hamburg.

I missed my family, Coronation Street, and brown sauce, in no particular order.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:15   #6
God Member

reminds me of the old Aussie joke " how do you know if the plane which has just landed came from the UK .........the whining continues after the engines have been shut down "

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:35   #7
God Member

you don't have to leave the country to miss somethings... when I first came to London I yearned for Hollands pies... walk into a chippy in London and ask for potato pie or steak pudding, chips, peas and gravy you run the risk of being theatened with an under the counter baseball bat!.. and these are the same people that will happily wolf down jellied eels,meat pie and mashed spuds (oh and parsley sauce) all on the same plate with loads of vinegar!

Last edited by Mancie; 16-06-2007 at 16:38.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:37   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

To be honest, with all the travelling that Me and Sparks have done lately I haven't missed anything material at all. I have missed my family and friends but nothing else. I have tried and loved new things and find that when I come home I miss those new things.....

I'd kill for an Australian pie floater right now..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:46   #9

Thing I miss most. Steak Pud, Chips, Peas and gravey with a fish on top Form Clayton Street Chippy in Arrod. Not to worry as I soon to return as Visa is running out.Guess where I going as soon as I get back.
Old 16-06-2007, 16:50   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

didnt really miss much when i lived in spain,family apart, and then not the kids,we saw more of them in the 2 years we were there than in the previous 2 years.
Old 16-06-2007, 16:55   #11
God Member

I miss having an NHS dentist. Im in agony right now and no dentist to go to and there isnt much they can do for me without me paying loads of money so i have to cope
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 16:57   #12

One of the things i miss on holiday has to be the washing machine in the kitchen.
Tombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 17:06   #13
Resident Waffler

When Busman first moved up here he missed a strange sort of plastic sausage thing known as a saveloy!!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 18:16   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
When Busman first moved up here he missed a strange sort of plastic sausage thing known as a saveloy!!
yep .. tried one of them,looks like a hotdog suasage and tastes like what it is...mashed up Donkey meat and garlic!!! yuke
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 21:08   #15
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carla d View Post
im am hunting all over for a good pub or cafe that does a good english sunday roast, so far ive had 3 but the chicken or beef tastes of plastic and the veg are foreign and not your typical carrots and cauliflower.
Fer cryin' out loud, Carla! You can have all that fantastic paella with fresh seafood and peppers...and you're looking for cauliflower!!?? Sheesh, there's no pleasing some folks!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..