Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 11:25   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Keep failing pupils back

Silly me, it's not Bury, it's Bacup! I wonder why I put Bury? Anyway that doesn't make much difference to you does it?

The test is called 'colourimetry'. If your optician doesn't do it they should be able to put you on to someone who does.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2007, 12:02   #32
God Member

I'm fully in agreement with this idea. Mind you, if this had been the policy for the last 30 years or so, half of the contributors to Accy Web would still be in year 6, primary school.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I'm fully in agreement with this idea. Mind you, if this had been the policy for the last 30 years or so, half of the contributors to Accy Web would still be in year 6, primary school.
It looks like you would be one of them. Do you get a kick out of throwing insults about? For some people this is the only contact they have with others, I don't think they want to read stupid comments all the time
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
It looks like you would be one of them. Do you get a kick out of throwing insults about? For some people this is the only contact they have with others, I don't think they want to read stupid comments all the time
You won't get any karma for making remarks like that, you know.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:25   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
You won't get any karma for making remarks like that, you know.
When I can spend it in the shops I will let that fact bother me, until then I really don't care.
Old 04-09-2007, 13:03   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Silly me, it's not Bury, it's Bacup! I wonder why I put Bury? Anyway that doesn't make much difference to you does it?

The test is called 'colourimetry'. If your optician doesn't do it they should be able to put you on to someone who does.

thanks willow i will look it up, yes bury and bacup still too far away for me lol
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 14:42   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Just what I was thinking but I knew you'd say it for me.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 15:25   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Keep failing pupils back - Tories

So, the Conservatives propose that to improve literacy in secondary schools children found in their last year at Junior school to be struggling will be kept back for a year in a bid to ensure these children catch up.

Excuse me? But I thought our children started school at the age of 5 and moved on to secondary school at 11 this surely gives the teachers at the junior school 6 years, (age 11 minus age 5=6 for anyone that should have been kept back), during which time they (teachers), should have the chance to notice that little Sarah is struggling with her reading etc. Therefore shouldn't more emphasis be placed on bringing her up to speed before the final year?

Also, keeping a reluctant 12 year old back could cause disruption of the classroom for the struggling 11 year old that might have been passed as fit for progress to the secondary school if only their lessons hadn't been disturbed by the actions of some older children.
I wonder how that would work then. At the moment classes are limited to 30 pupils so what will happen if they keep 3 pupils back a year and then they've got 30 more coming up into the class? They'll end up with bigger classes depending on how many they keep back? It's against the law to have more than 30 in a class isn't it?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 15:33   #39
Resident Waffler

I actually remember it happening when I was at the High School. A couple of girls were kept back a year. It didn't happen often but the extra person was just absorbed into the class because there wasn't all the hoohah about numbers like there is these days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..