Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should parliament vote to suspend post office closures?
Yes 22 75.86%
No 7 24.14%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2008, 14:34   #196
Resting in Peace

Re: Post Office Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkOnBRFC View Post
Thought you were going to try to be nice that didn't last long Mr J
You want to get out more Walkon if you think thats being nasty, I just thought it was funny seeing GJ use smilies, can't remember seeing it before
Old 22-03-2008, 14:36   #197
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Lol, if you have hate mail, it hasnt originated from me. Add its undecided voters like me that are the people that need to be swayed to make a difference. Die hard party supporters will very rarely be changed

I think perhaps I am out of my depth on this post, as I dont have die hard beliefs, so i'll rid myself lol
Me neither onlyme
Old 22-03-2008, 17:51   #198
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Then if you don't even know yourself how can you set a 2% budget? I still don't know what the 40 things are never mind the costs.
Like I said. The Government gave us £4m extra. This is outside the Council Tax.

Quote:
So you're trying to have everyone in the borough by NOT including the county council tax rise? I think Britcliffe has done good by including it, it shows the full cost people will be paying, no hidden taxes.
Yes there is a headline figure, 3.7%. In previous years County set a 5% and District 4%. Clr Britclffe used the District 4% figure and blamed County for it being higher.

Secondly. Clr Britcliffe calls County 'the evil empire'. Inefficient etc... Strange situation!?

Quote:
I can't argue with the whole history, I haven't been apart of the council to counter argue or even know if you're telling the whole story, but you seem to claim the council is incompetent, yet they're rated excellent by an independent board.

Additionally, you mention spending the £500k in order to fund your low tax, well thats just the complete wrong way about it. Save when the times are good, to use when the times are not so good. The times could get much worse than they are now economically, don't be so irresponsible.
The Audit Commision rated the book keeping only, not policies. This excellent would not have happened without Ian Ormerod. Clr Britcliffe opposed all the changes to management so therefore is not in a position to claim much credit. In front of the Audit Commission it as a different story, (when he bought top champagne out of the Council tax to quaff) he said it was Labour and Tory working together. In the press and on his leaflets its now just Tory and Labour got us in the mess.

The Audit Commision did not look at policies or effectiveness. However Clr Britcliffe is now implying to people we are 1) an excellent Council with excellent policies 2) It's all down to him.

We have £1.8m in the bank. This was to bank a further 500k. The advice to the Tories is to keep 5% of budget banked for a rainy day (750k). The reason for this is we are taxing the local economy too heavily. We are now the most expensive Council in Britain with 8.1% of incomes going on Council Tax. When I put the 2% I said 5% was Tax Tax Tax for no reason.

The reason the reserves were empty was a serious of disastrous policies between 1999-2002 as highlighted by auditors and city analysts called in by Clr Britcliffe.

Quote:
That’s an interesting proposition, may I ask what would be the purpose of going around Peel Ward?
You said/implied I was a bad Councillor who needed to be defeated. I would like to show the problems. How much hard work I have done to put them right. Any direction, any problem, you choose.

We will then go to a residents meeting and you can read out those words you said about me to voters in Peel. That way you have had the best chance to further your own cause and criticisms.

Last edited by g jones; 22-03-2008 at 18:00.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 18:28   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You want to get out more Walkon if you think thats being nasty, I just thought it was funny seeing GJ use smilies, can't remember seeing it before
It was in jest I wasn't trying to be sarcastic

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 18:32   #200

Quote:
Me neither onlyme
Nor have I had any hate mail it was a figure of speech

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 00:13   #201
Resting in Peace

Can we get back to to the thread- post office closures.I think not.The thread as usual has been taken over by Thieves posing as the peoples reps.HBC-I have read all the posts relating to this issue and still have come to the conclusion that all the monies generated and given back belong to the people anyway.Where is the honesty gone ,If it was ever there. or to put it bluntly The Working Class Can Kiss My Arse I've Got The Foremans Job At Last.OR been voted on
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:03   #202
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
You said/implied I was a bad Councillor who needed to be defeated. I would like to show the problems. How much hard work I have done to put them right. Any direction, any problem, you choose.

We will then go to a residents meeting and you can read out those words you said about me to voters in Peel. That way you have had the best chance to further your own cause and criticisms.
I don't recall saying you did not attend to ward issues. If I was to be invited to a Conservative ward with a high majority, I'm sure I'd get exactly the same impression of the councillor. You are welcome to give your residents the link to this thread so they can read the full posts in their correct context.

I have visited Peel ward (hence my slow reply) and I can see all the road/paving improvements in the area. In fact the improvements seem wholly disproportionate to the rest of the wards. How did you manage this great feat?
Old 25-03-2008, 17:12   #203

pmsl!!!!!!!!!

sorry! Cyfr what are you implying lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 17:20   #204
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't recall saying you did not attend to ward issues. If I was to be invited to a Conservative ward with a high majority, I'm sure I'd get exactly the same impression of the councillor. You are welcome to give your residents the link to this thread so they can read the full posts in their correct context.

I have visited Peel ward (hence my slow reply) and I can see all the road/paving improvements in the area. In fact the improvements seem wholly disproportionate to the rest of the wards. How did you manage this great feat?
Well Cyfr Labour controlled LCC now do all road and pavement repairs, there's an election on the May 1st, Sir Graham of Peel is up for re-election
Old 25-03-2008, 18:35   #205
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well Cyfr Labour controlled LCC now do all road and pavement repairs, there's an election on the May 1st, Sir Graham of Peel is up for re-election
Cheers Cyfr. Yes I work hard. All the street lights are new. Started in 2003 and completed in 2006. (Up for election 2004 & 2008). I got every street lamp fixed. I got some new ones on gable ends for women/security which I researched myself. I do street lamp audits every winter when I check every one and get bulbs replaced.

Just shows how politically biased/stupid you are Jaysay. Highways and Lighting was run by the District Council until recently when it went back to LCC.* If I get a disproportionate done, then it is not because of being Labour, but because others don;t work as hard on these issues.

* That's why there is a 10 years backlog in blocked drains and gullies.

Yes it is disproportionate. In about 2005/6 The Council put out a circular for next years roads. All 35 Councillors. Typical me. List straight in - long list. Went down to the offices a few weeks later make sure I got some of them done. Shocked!! Only 5 Councillors had responded and they were ALL LABOUR and Peter Britcliffe hadn't bothered himself. I got loads done that year. All of St Johns top to bottom++.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 08:58   #206
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Cheers Cyfr. Yes I work hard. All the street lights are new. Started in 2003 and completed in 2006. (Up for election 2004 & 2008). I got every street lamp fixed. I got some new ones on gable ends for women/security which I researched myself. I do street lamp audits every winter when I check every one and get bulbs replaced.

Just shows how politically biased/stupid you are Jaysay. Highways and Lighting was run by the District Council until recently when it went back to LCC.* If I get a disproportionate done, then it is not because of being Labour, but because others don;t work as hard on these issues.

* That's why there is a 10 years backlog in blocked drains and gullies.

Yes it is disproportionate. In about 2005/6 The Council put out a circular for next years roads. All 35 Councillors. Typical me. List straight in - long list. Went down to the offices a few weeks later make sure I got some of them done. Shocked!! Only 5 Councillors had responded and they were ALL LABOUR and Peter Britcliffe hadn't bothered himself. I got loads done that year. All of St Johns top to bottom++.
Self prase was never a great recomendation Graham, you'll be going for MP next, woops sorry Greg
Old 26-03-2008, 10:36   #207
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Self prase was never a great recomendation Graham, you'll be going for MP next, woops sorry Greg
If self praise was a prerequisite to becoming a M.P., then the electorate wouldn't have rejected Peter Britcliffe....twice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 11:27   #208
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If self praise was a prerequisite to becoming a M.P., then the electorate wouldn't have rejected Peter Britcliffe....twice.
Nice one Rindi, see I hold my hand up, that made me smile, but I think it was a rejection of the Tories rather than PB, after all the lovely Gayle didn't even dent him in St Andrews Ward, even with your help
Old 26-03-2008, 11:41   #209
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Nice one Rindi, see I hold my hand up, that made me smile, but I think it was a rejection of the Tories rather than PB, after all the lovely Gayle didn't even dent him in St Andrews Ward, even with your help
Didn't Gayle post that she increased the Labour vote, at the expense of the Liberal Democrat, as did Peter?

As for my help, I've posted many times that I'm not a member of any political party, so what Gayle did, or didn't do, was all down to her own effort.

It's so liberating being non-partisan, and not have to worry about following a political agenda.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2008, 17:06   #210
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Didn't Gayle post that she increased the Labour vote, at the expense of the Liberal Democrat, as did Peter?

As for my help, I've posted many times that I'm not a member of any political party, so what Gayle did, or didn't do, was all down to her own effort.

It's so liberating being non-partisan, and not have to worry about following a political agenda.
come on Rindi I was refering to the fact that you said you voted for Gayle, nothing else, and I do admire the fact that your non-partisan, wish I were but I'm to long in the tooth to change now, besides Graham would have no one to fall out with, well except Cyfr that is

Last edited by jaysay; 26-03-2008 at 17:08. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..