Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 20:56   #16

Re: gas/leccy survey

I’m with Atlantic ( Scottish and Southern ) for both my electric and gas. Currently we pay £25 p/month electricity ( £300 p/year ) and at last reading they reduced the gas to £20 p/month from £25 so that will be £240 p/year. So £540 all in.

House is only a two bed roomed terrace. The loft is insulated to the latest industry standard and windows double glazed, energy saving bulbs are used. Everything turned off at night so far as practicable…not me router tho, must admit. We are both at home all day, central heating thermostat just gets left at around 20 to21degrees C through the winter days, flicked up to 22/23 in the evening then back to 20 before bedtime, otherwise it’s too warm. Gas is used to cook, very occasionally the main fire (gas) will be turned on.
Old 12-05-2008, 21:03   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
For a house with 2 adults and a 3 year old that are out at work all day. That has been fully insulated in the last few years, with double glazing, no central heating on from May - end October(only 4 hours a day in winter with localised heating in rooms beyond that + odd day of gas fire at night if its cold when teh heatings off). All appliances are pretty new and mainly A rated for energy. Energy saving bulbs where possible, I even turn the sodding router off each night and ensure sky/TVs etc are all off or are in as lower power state as possible.

So how much do you spend each year?
Ian!!! ya got her working already??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 21:16   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well it seems like paris n meself are paying the most good old N-Power.
Old 12-05-2008, 21:17   #19
God Member

absolutely! she working hard at spending all my money!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 21:19   #20
God Member

Quote:
absolutely! she working hard at spending all my money!!!!
Leave her alone!! it's a girls prerogative to spend all daddies money

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:09   #21
God Member

Although my one bedroom flat is smaller than most of your homes, I do have my heating and hot water on 24 hours a day - controlled by my thermostat set at 23C, sometimes 24C.
I noticed a big drop in costs when a condenser boiler was installed spring last year.
At current prices I will be spending £507.99 a year.
Scottish Power Online Energy 3 tariff with dual fuel and Online discounts.
All my lightbulbs are energy savers. I have good insulation.
I check with the switching sites often, and have switched 5 times in 6 years.
The way to get the best deal at switching is to enter your KWH per year usage in the calculation on the switching site.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:16   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well it seems like paris n meself are paying the most good old N-Power.
Get back to Spain pal.........I like Margeret pay 10 pound a week with no gas........got to spell the pound bit out....no pound sign.
Not boasting Margeret...Fact.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:27   #23
God Member

I pay £115 per month to scottish power dual fuel with direct debit discounts. In 3 bed 3 floor terraced property, combi boiler (which is really knackered!!!!) and is on constantly as the water won't work without heating being on with heating turned down (said it was knackered) have prob half n half energy saving light bulbs

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:45   #24
God Member

cheers guys, I rang them tonight saying leave it as it is. They say can't do that as our system tells us your usage means we have to charge £82/3 each.
If I have to move I will. Now uSwitch have nPower down as cheapest based on my data. however I reckon their system is flawed. My last quarter bill was 200 for leccy and 260 for gas. now that is for one of the two 'cold/dark' periods. yet even nPower reckon I'm a £1600 a year user! I reckon closer to £1300 max. Funnily enough, not much over 12 months ago I got over £400 back for overpayment!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 23:48   #25
God Member

Having a super efficient new condenser boiler makes a tremendous difference.
It is worth asking for a Warmfront grant, and if you don't qualify - get a bank loan - it will save you money in the end.
PS - it is useless going onto price comparison sites and quoting what you are paying now - you need KWH per annum stats

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-05-2008 at 23:53.
Old 12-05-2008, 23:52   #26
God Member

Quote:
what I find most outrageous is that if people are genuinely paying £1800 a year you have to earn over 2K a year before tax to pay for it. For a lot of people ( pensioners and low income families of which Accy has more than its fair share in relation to the rest of the country) this in addition to sky high house prices and the obvious increase in mortgage costs must be absolutely crippling!

<fx: just re-read that and I'm beginning to sound like Cyfr.... >
Haha that did sound like a post I'd make!

Maybe you should buy a windmill to mount on your house ian?
Old 12-05-2008, 23:53   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Having a super efficient new condenser boiler makes a tremendous difference.
It is worth asking for a Warmfront grant, and if you don't qualify - get a bank loan - it will save you money in the end.
PS - it is useless going onto price comparison sites and quoting what you are paying now - you need KWH stats
wouldnt it be best to speak to derekgas? im sure he will know....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 23:55   #28
God Member

The boiler is only 3 years old as it is Magaret. plus as mentioned from late April to about end Oct its not on for heating. Hot water is instant so no wastage there. gas is only used for hob as we have leccy ovens

from leccy POV I shut down teh router at night so its off for ~16 hours a day, I turn off teh TV sender unless we want to use it. all lights that can be are energy savers and I'm a sod for turning stuff off

The Sky box is set to standby whenever possible. teh TV uses 0.1W in standby. I can't think of anything except teh two alarm clocks that are mains powered that is left on that I could possibly turn off.

Old 12-05-2008, 23:56   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
wouldnt it be best to speak to derekgas? im sure he will know....
Since I pay less than £50 a month for 24hr warmth at 23C and hot water I don't think he could get me to improve on that.

Old 12-05-2008, 23:57   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
Haha that did sound like a post I'd make!

Maybe you should buy a windmill to mount on your house ian?

Looked at them nearly 2 years ago. Technology isn't anywhere near good enough yet.

I'm probably greener than most people (plus I'ma skin flint ) so anything where I can get energy for nothing is good for me

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..