Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2008, 00:14   #31
God Member

Re: gas/leccy survey

I think insulation plays a large part in keeping heating bills down.
I haven't just relied on the loft and cavity wall insulation and double glazing which my landlord supplied.
In addition I have painted my walls and ceilings with Thermilate added to the paint.
I have blinds and thick, lined, floor to ceiling curtains.
Insulating Paint Additive, Using Thermilate

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2008, 00:21   #32
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Having a super efficient new condenser boiler makes a tremendous difference.
It is worth asking for a Warmfront grant, and if you don't qualify - get a bank loan - it will save you money in the end.
PS - it is useless going onto price comparison sites and quoting what you are paying now - you need KWH per annum stats
So how much a year is your new boiler saving you?
Now work out how much it costs to have one fitted and see how long it will take you to save the installation costs of the new boiler. Add in how long you expect that boiler to last before you need to fit a new one while your at it.

Has anyone recently had a new condensing boiler fitted, if so how much did it cost? My guess would be between £1000 and £2000 depending on how much other work was needed or how much you were told was needed

I suspect you only rent your flat so your boiler was fitted for free.
Old 13-05-2008, 00:30   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Now work out how much it costs to have one fitted and see how long it will take you to save the installation costs of the new boiler. Add in how long you expect that boiler to last before you need to fit a new one while your at it.

Has anyone recently had a new condensing boiler fitted, if so how much did it cost? My guess would be between £1000 and £2000 depending on how much other work was needed or how much you were told was needed

The boiler was free , as you thought.
Before that there was an ancient gas warm air system which I had to stop using because it filled the air with fine dust. Instead I bought 5 Winterwarm wall mounted electric panels which were self regulating.
So I have had 3 different heating systems in the 6 years I have lived here.
My current costs are on a par with my costs 6 yrs ago, despite price rises that have occurred meanwhile.

Old 13-05-2008, 00:51   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
My current costs are on a par with my costs 6 yrs ago, despite price rises that have occurred meanwhile.
So what is you annual saving now you have your nice free condensing boiler installed.
Old 13-05-2008, 04:24   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Although my one bedroom flat is smaller than most of your homes, I do have my heating and hot water on 24 hours a day - controlled by my thermostat set at 23C, sometimes 24C.
I noticed a big drop in costs when a condenser boiler was installed spring last year.
At current prices I will be spending £507.99 a year.
Scottish Power Online Energy 3 tariff with dual fuel and Online discounts.
All my lightbulbs are energy savers. I have good insulation.
I check with the switching sites often, and have switched 5 times in 6 years.
The way to get the best deal at switching is to enter your KWH per year usage in the calculation on the switching site.
My gas has gone down as well Margarat since new heating was installed last year,I have my thermostat set at 24 I now pay £15 a month gas £35 a month lecky or £612 a year for both, I'm with British Gas
Old 13-05-2008, 04:30   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I'm the same as Margaret Neil, over the last 12 months my gas bill has halfed
Old 13-05-2008, 04:37   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The boiler was free , as you thought.
Before that there was an ancient gas warm air system which I had to stop using because it filled the air with fine dust. Instead I bought 5 Winterwarm wall mounted electric panels which were self regulating.
So I have had 3 different heating systems in the 6 years I have lived here.
Mine was the gas warm air system until last year, although some time ago I had a special filter fitted by HBC because I asked if they would replace my system with radiators because of my asthma. They came up with these special filters which was very good, I was actually monitorig the system for HBC but then they scraped the works department, end of
Old 13-05-2008, 06:19   #38
God Member

Quote:
So what is you annual saving now you have your nice free condensing boiler installed.
Neil - I cannot be precice, (despite fuel consumption records kept for 6 yrs), because it is not a 'like for like' comparison.

Jaysay has very similar, if not identical, accommodation.
He has experience of 2 heating systems, whereas I have had 3, and he has noted large savings.

Old 13-05-2008, 07:55   #39
God Member

i notice that a lot of you have the thermostat set over 21 degrees....WHY? i used to have mine set at 20 and i find it saves a lot of money if i have it down at 19 degrees and i cant tell the difference in the heat whatsoever, i think you all must have money to burn if your having it up THAT high when it doesnt need to be, its just not necessary
Old 13-05-2008, 08:10   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i notice that a lot of you have the thermostat set over 21 degrees....WHY? i used to have mine set at 20 and i find it saves a lot of money if i have it down at 19 degrees and i cant tell the difference in the heat whatsoever, i think you all must have money to burn if your having it up THAT high when it doesnt need to be, its just not necessary
I have osteoarthritis - cold = increase in pain.
Wearing a wooly hat and mittens indoors is an option I don't want.
Also a bronchial condition is eased by breathing warm humid air, so I would need a face mask too

Old 13-05-2008, 08:41   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well it seems like paris n meself are paying the most good old N-Power.

Me too
we have a quaterly bill of £ 380 ish depending on what time of year we are all electric and think its discusting that we have to pay that much, there is 5 of us but most of the time the heating is not on as the storage heaters are crap, we have oil filled radiators that we put on when its too cold, we save as much elec as we can, and i also think its unfair that people who have duel fuel get a discount when we only have electricity here and are not getting any discount if you know what i mean, we should also get a discount for getting all our fuel from the same company
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 10:53   #42
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I pay £30 a month on gas, and £40 amonth a on electric
pay £18 a month on water
so not bad i suppose

oh and my thermostat is set on 19 or 20!, i know someone who has it on 25 or over....god knows why

anything else ya wanna know???
Old 13-05-2008, 10:54   #43
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

nearly forgot, thats on a 3 bedroom house..
Old 13-05-2008, 11:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
You are right about turning the heating down a degree or two flashy, it will save a fair amount. What has to be kept in mind is that as you become older you become less active, the body will not generate much heat.
Help the Agedrecommend 21- 24 C.
What I found surprising is that Hypothermia can be induced by prolonged exposure to indoor temps below 18C ( surprising because I consider that temp to be fairly high ) I Googled it to make sure, seems some other council sites say the danger zone is below 16C ( e.g.Barnet Council)
Old 13-05-2008, 11:20   #45
Resting in Peace

The media aRe saying that gas and lecky could go up by around 40% this year, there was a guy on GMTV this morning saying you can sign up to freeze your prices for three years, but the cost will be about 10% above what your paying now. If the bills are going to go up by 40% maybe an idea looking into the scheme

Last edited by jaysay; 13-05-2008 at 11:21. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..