Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 22:36   #16
Caz
God Member

Re: Most depressing street

Were was Canning St Wynonie?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2009, 22:38   #17
Super Moderator

Between Ranger Street and Richmond Street, Caz. Ran parallel to Scaitcliffe Street, but next one up.
Old 04-04-2009, 23:44   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well Canning St certainly depressed me, went with a bird off yon that stabbed me.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15   #19
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Interestingly, if you look at not just at Water St but other streets in that area, The nearer the town centre the worse condition of the houses.

I have never been able to work out why that should necessarily be the case.
This is because the houses nearer the town centre are smaller in size hense cheaper to buy. These houses have been bought up by private landlords and the story is so familiar after that..............

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:22   #20
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
accrington needs areas revitalising but sadly all that gets revitalised are the same areas over and over again

the same houses down blackburn road have been revitalised on at least 2 occasions over the past 10 years, maybe its time to put money in other areas where teh work done will be appreciated and looked after more

also clamping down on landlords who let their properties fall into eyesores
Karma for you when it allows me, Hyndburn Council should take note of these points.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Paradise Street?..that was, well, paradise compared to the dingy and depressing thoroughfare known as Canning Street. Factories at each end, including one which towered over the whole place like a gargantuan beast, down-at-heel, cramped-looking houses, the whole place was enveloped in an eternal gloom even in the height of summer. Definitely the most depressing street in Accy of its time.

PS - apologies to any former residents who may be reading this!
Think what most people tend to forget is that Accrington streets evolved in the time of the Industrial Revolution, and these houses were gratefully welcomed by the workers being so near their workplaces.

Now we have no textile manufacturing anymore, we are left with this structure and have a harder job than non industrial towns to bring the streets to just being pleasant residential streets. Takes time and money from the council, etc.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
hyndburn homes has a lot to answer for if you ask me, they took on houses from HBC and have done basicly sod all to improve areas and their properties

if you go up rothwell avenue hyndburn homes bought half the houses and saint vincents bought the other half

saint vincents houses have new secure fencing ,outside walls painted ,they were repaired before anyone was allowed to move in while its the total oppposite with Hynburn homes who rent out houses not fit to put a rat in yet alone a human

the only chance you stand of getting a decent home with Hyndburn homes is if you are lucky enough to get a house that has had good tennants in it previously and have carried out repairs themselves

hynburn homes dont do repairs they do temporary fixes and not only have i rented one of their cess pits but know people who have had to put up with walls black with damp , always going without hot water and having to put up with temporary fixes because they wont replace the boiler and have wall paper falling off the walls because roof repairs arnt carried out but rather a bit off goo in the hole to try and stop the leak

as of yet i dont think countour housing A.K.A hydburn homes have followed through on 1 single term of their contract which allowed them to buy these properties and if they have and actually done a good job of it then its a bloomin miracle but they need to do more
I am in one of hyndburn homes properties and to be honest it isnt that bad. Yes it needed decorating etc when I moved in but soon after moving in they did the kitchen and bathroom (not all quite to my standards but that was the conractors not hyndburn homes themselves) Personally though I think that they should do something with the exteriors (gardens, fencing, general appearance etc) as this is all left to the tenants to do when they move in and can be very difficult and expensive - I am trying to get the garden done, new fencing etc but is proving hard work and havnt had the money to really do anything yet. I have no real problems with the interior but do agree with the "patch work" that has been done inside e.g small spots of filler on the walls that are an eysore if you dont wallpaper them (my interior is about 90% painted with only 1 bedroom wall having wallpaper on it) The rent is low and you do get a very small allowance to decorate when you move in, which i would say would need doing in most cases but think more care should be taken on the outsides of the properties to make them look more presentable.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:59   #23
God Member

I too am disappointed with Hyndburn Homes miserable failure in meeting their promises. When they took over from the council they supplied me with a 4 year schedule of when to expect home improvements - they have not kept to it.

I still struggle with an ancient bathroom, despite my need for a refurb being confirmed by an occupational therapist 2 years ago. I have replaced the unhygenic rotting kitchen cupboard doors at my own expense.

There are rotting soffit boards - a big chunk has dropped out of one such board on the flat next door, and is in full view one foot from my lounge window.
Fire safety is also a problem - I have only one window that I could exit from if my one exit door is blocked by fire - I keep a tow rope handy at all times, in case I need to climb out.

I don't get Housing Benefit, so I do appreciate that the rent is lower than private lettings
BUT - I would gladly pay more for a better standard

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:40   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
I am in one of hyndburn homes properties and to be honest it isnt that bad. Yes it needed decorating etc when I moved in but soon after moving in they did the kitchen and bathroom (not all quite to my standards but that was the conractors not hyndburn homes themselves) Personally though I think that they should do something with the exteriors (gardens, fencing, general appearance etc) as this is all left to the tenants to do when they move in and can be very difficult and expensive - I am trying to get the garden done, new fencing etc but is proving hard work and havnt had the money to really do anything yet. I have no real problems with the interior but do agree with the "patch work" that has been done inside e.g small spots of filler on the walls that are an eysore if you dont wallpaper them (my interior is about 90% painted with only 1 bedroom wall having wallpaper on it) The rent is low and you do get a very small allowance to decorate when you move in, which i would say would need doing in most cases but think more care should be taken on the outsides of the properties to make them look more presentable.

please do not take my comments as been directed at the tennants ,my comments are directed at hydburn homes/contour housing who made agreements with the council that got them the houses instead of a different housing association, they leave a lot of things for teh tennants to do which are expensive.When i moved into one of their properties i spent £500 on decorating materials and around £1500 carpeting the place and within 1 year of hynburn homes not doing repairs to the roof my carpets were destroyed by mould and damp and most of the decorating was also destroyed.

the front of the property had a rickety fence , no gate and sharp nails sticking out of the wooden struts.The rear of the property had no dividing fence for the garden which meant my children could not play in the garden as next door had a dog which also due to been no fence crapped all over my garden.I did offer to save up and pay for a fence but was told it woudl be torn down when they got around to putting up their own which still hasnt happened ( teh garden by the way looked like somone had burried 30 hand grenades and let them off with a mixture of bike frames and sharp leghths of metal half burried in teh soil ))

properties are supposed to be assed by the council as to if they are worth teh rent and hynburn homes houses in my opinion should be revisited and assesed properly and have their rent reduced accordingly until they are up to the standard that is expected of a private renting landlord

again ths is not a dig at the tennants of hynburn homes it is a dig at hyndburn homes who rent some houses out in worse condition than those landlords from hell you see on TV

in many cases the tennants take good care and put plenty of effort into making tehir homes nice but tehir hard work and hard to come by cash is wasted by their landlords reluctance to do essential work on the buildings

apparently i owe hynburn homes £56 as a letter keeps reminding me but to be honest they can simply kiss my backside if they think they are getting it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 05-04-2009 at 11:42.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well Canning St certainly depressed me, went with a bird off yon that stabbed me.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
wasnt you was it lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 14:31   #27
Senior Member+

Emma street,at the back of the sports centre & Clement St .Potholes both.
Old 05-04-2009, 22:30   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i must apologise fer me error, its just been pointed out to me,that it was Crown St. my assailant lived on, which was one below Canning St. n it wasn't her who stabbed me pointed it out, before ya ask.
Old 07-04-2009, 23:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwish View Post
the whole of accrington is pretty much a krap hole

lol there is a nail over there that he just hit on its head

accrington is a dump, wish it wasn't but it is the truth no matter which way its glossed over
Old 10-08-2009, 21:04   #30
God Member

Quote:
sadly he kinda has a point , although accrington does have some nice areas the bad ones out number them

no matter how much you polish or dress up a turd its still a turd

accrington needs areas revitalising but sadly all that gets revitalised are teh same areas over and over again

the same houses down blackburn road have been revitalised on at least 2 occasions over the past 10 years, maybe its time to put money in other areas where teh work done will be appreciated and looked after more

also clamping down on landlords who let their properties fall into eyesores

hyndburn homes has a lot to answer for if you ask me, they took on houses from HBC and have done basicly sod all to improve areas and their properties

if you go up rothwell avenue hyndburn homes bought half the houses and saint vincents bought the other half

saint vincents houses have new secure fencing ,outside walls painted ,they were repaired before anyone was allowed to move in while its the total oppposite with Hynburn homes who rent out houses not fit to put a rat in yet alone a human

the only chance you stand of getting a decent home with Hyndburn homes is if you are lucky enough to get a house that has had good tennants in it previously and have carried out repairs themselves

hynburn homes dont do repairs they do temporary fixes and not only have i rented one of their cess pits but know people who have had to put up with walls black with damp , always going without hot water and having to put up with temporary fixes because they wont replace the boiler and have wall paper falling off the walls because roof repairs arnt carried out but rather a bit off goo in the hole to try and stop the leak

as of yet i dont think countour housing A.K.A hydburn homes have followed through on 1 single term of their contract which allowed them to buy these properties and if they have and actually done a good job of it then its a bloomin miracle but they need to do more
yep

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..