Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2010, 23:22   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Volcanic ash cloud on its way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Whats puzzling me about all this is the Fact the Russian President today flew to Poland fer the state funeral, now fer my money theres no-way they would let that geezer fly if there was the slightest danger, yet reports here say Northern Europe is the worst area, i revert back to my thought that whilst Safety is Paramount, some faceless ******* are scaremongering the public n leaving many thousands in the crap.
Parts of Russia, and Poland, remain unaffected so far, because of the weather.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ashmap.gif (69.2 KB, 4 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2010, 23:56   #107
God Member

so if crap weather is a plus were safe then,unless we get our 3 days of summer early that is

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 00:13   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
so if crap weather is a plus were safe then,unless we get our 3 days of summer early that is
Might be cut to two days this year.

'Volcanic activity affects not only land and sea, but the atmosphere as well. 1816 was known as the "Year without a Summer" following a powerful eruption of Mt. Tamboura in Indonesia a year earlier. The eruption of Krakatoa in Indonesia in July of 1883 produced similar effects worldwide. This great eruption was heard about 3,000 miles away. It produced sea waves almost 130 feet (40m.) high that drowned 36,000 people on nearby islands. There was a loss of 20-30% of direct solar radiation for three years after the eruption. That explosive eruption injected clouds of debris high into the stratosphere. Large volcanic eruptions like Krakatoa can cause short-term cooling of the climate by ejecting great quantities of dust, ash, carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Particles of sulfur dioxide in the volcanic dust can reduce the amount of incoming radiation, effectively cooling the upper atmosphere. When the particles of SO2 combine with water vapor, they produce sulfuric acid. Another consequence of some volcanic eruptions is therefore an increase in acid rain.
Brilliant sunsets and cooler summers followed the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. The eruption of this Philippine volcano spewed about 15 million metric tons of sulfur dioxide gas into the atmosphere. The resulting aerosol cloud depressed the mean global temperature by some 0.5oC.'
Weather

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 01:59   #109
God Member

lol on a usa forum i am a member of all teh yanks are worring about 2012 so i told them to grab some red and blue glasses because this ones gonne be in 3D

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 19-04-2010, 06:53   #110

Things are looking a bit more positive this morning, got a message from a friend in Reykjavik........... he said that flights are being resumed this morning from there, hope that we won't be far behind, but fingers are still firmly crossed
Old 19-04-2010, 08:57   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Might be cut to two days this year.

'Volcanic activity affects not only land and sea, but the atmosphere as well. 1816 was known as the "Year without a Summer" following a powerful eruption of Mt. Tambora in Indonesia a year earlier. The eruption of Krakatoa in Indonesia in July of 1883 produced similar effects worldwide. This great eruption was heard about 3,000 miles away. It produced sea waves almost 130 feet (40m.) high that drowned 36,000 people on nearby islands. There was a loss of 20-30% of direct solar radiation for three years after the eruption. That explosive eruption injected clouds of debris high into the stratosphere. Large volcanic eruptions like Krakatoa can cause short-term cooling of the climate by ejecting great quantities of dust, ash, carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Particles of sulfur dioxide in the volcanic dust can reduce the amount of incoming radiation, effectively cooling the upper atmosphere. When the particles of SO2 combine with water vapor, they produce sulfuric acid. Another consequence of some volcanic eruptions is therefore an increase in acid rain.
Brilliant sunsets and cooler summers followed the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. The eruption of this Philippine volcano spewed about 15 million metric tons of sulfur dioxide gas into the atmosphere. The resulting aerosol cloud depressed the mean global temperature by some 0.5oC.'
Weather
Volcanic activity didn't do much for the people of Pompeii either
Old 19-04-2010, 13:21   #112
Resting in Peace

I have bits of it on my car and on the roof of the house .....and the sky over ossy looked well spooky last night ( and I was only drinking tea )
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 13:25   #113
God Member

Yes, i have started to notice it on cars, windows etc..............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 14:11   #114
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I have bits of it on my car and on the roof of the house .....and the sky over ossy looked well spooky last night ( and I was only drinking tea )

Spotting it on the car is one thing, whatever made you check your roof?

Only time to worry about that is when it's creaking under the strain, let's be honest before that happens margeretR will be on smiling about how she was right all along, we're,

DOOMED!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 14:23   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Spotting it on the car is one thing, whatever made you check your roof?

[/CENTER]
less magpies a cat burglar.
Old 19-04-2010, 14:37   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
less magpies a cat burglar.
Shoooosh don't tell everybody
Old 19-04-2010, 19:01   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems latest is flights will commence tomorrow morning from Scotland n Northern England, and will operate tomorrow evening from london, if our planes aint crashed. Southern Softies.
Old 19-04-2010, 23:15   #118
God Member

Maybe not
BBC News - New volcano ash cloud prompts fresh flight doubts

I feel sure that they wont allow flights until they have finished their war game in the North Sea on 22nd.................we will see

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 01:49   #119
God Member

maybe all these folks stranded miles from 'home' should just sit back , take a deep breath and say to themselves "its the journey not the destination " ....... Blazey stuck in China could follow the old silk route home, following the steps of Marco Polo and get a better education about life than any book learning at Lancaster Uni (horrible Australian affectation) folk stuck in Greece could enable themselves of a ride on the Orient Express and see Europe as it really is . Travel can't really be that hard these days if 12 year old penniless refugees from Somalia or the Congo can make it to London with no problem ...

As one of my old British Passports (Blue hardback) states ......"Her Brittanic Majestys Principal Secretary of State ....requests and requires in the name of Her Majesty..to pass freely without let or hinderance and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as necessary" .
For some reason the above quote has been shortened in my red soft backed UK issued European Community passports .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 02:05   #120
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
so it was volcanic ash mucking up my car and there was me thinking it was because i had driven through accy town center earlier that day

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..