Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2010, 08:16   #121
Give, give, give member

Re: Volcanic ash cloud on its way

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Blazey stuck in China could follow the old silk route home, following the steps of Marco Polo and get a better education about life than any book learning at Lancaster Uni
If it really will be May before they can get a flight back, those stranded might be better going down to the docks, and see if it's possible to work their passage, on a slow boat from China.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2010, 09:02   #122
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If it really will be May before they can get a flight back, those stranded might be better going down to the docks, and see if it's possible to work their passage, on a slow boat from China.
Do they get Emile Ford to serenade them too Garinda
Old 20-04-2010, 09:07   #123
Resting in Peace

Just in case you've forgot Emile, no he doesn't play for the Villa
Old 20-04-2010, 09:21   #124
God Member

It is brave of Blazey to go to China alone, and commendable that she has not resorted to panic in a very difficult situation.

I would seek help from the nearest British embassy - that's what they are for.
They can pay out for repatriation expenses and recover that from you later.

Keep your chin up lass.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:46   #125
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It is brave of Blazey to go to China alone, and commendable that she has not resorted to panic in a very difficult situation.

I would seek help from the nearest British embassy - that's what they are for.
They can pay out for repatriation expenses and recover that from you later.

Keep your chin up lass.
It is a worry, and I too hope she's ok, and gets back very soon. However she's an adult, and went to China to further her education, which will hopefully help her career options. She's an intelligent young woman, and I have no doubt she'll use that intelligence to keep herself safe, just as she would wherever she was, even in this country.

There are young people who go off into the world for all sorts of reasons. Some to volunteer their services in countries with very real poverty, and some who risk/give their lives in the armed services, and some who travel just for the experience.

I'm sure how she was trapped in China, and how she coped, will make an interesting tale to tell her grandchildren.

Old 20-04-2010, 09:52   #126
God Member

I bet that when she gets back she won't be celebrating by going for a chinky takeaway.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 09:57   #127
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
could follow the old silk route home
Marching briskly, and singing a couple of rousing verses of This Old Man, you could be in Constantinople in a fortnight.

Old 20-04-2010, 09:59   #128
Resting in Peace

Another snag the clouds reappeared not too many flights from UK airports today, thats on the 11am BBC news headlines
Old 20-04-2010, 14:15   #129

Just checked the flight for tomorrow and still says it's flying on schedule, but just got to keep checking, can change any moment
Old 20-04-2010, 14:21   #130
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
Just checked the flight for tomorrow and still says it's flying on schedule, but just got to keep checking, can change any moment
Friend of ours should be flying to malaga tomoz mary, but she aint rung yet to say yes or no.
Old 20-04-2010, 14:31   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Friend of ours should be flying to malaga tomoz mary, but she aint rung yet to say yes or no.
It's starting to hack me off cashy, but they got to wait for the bloody government to say yes or no, and as usual they're getting it wrong
Old 20-04-2010, 15:46   #132
God Member

My friends daughter is in Spain and should have flown back last weekend. They have been given the 28th as their new flight date
Old 20-04-2010, 17:10   #133
Give, give, give member

This is one time when you realise the benefits of our flexible friends, the credirt cards.

Years ago people took cash and travellers cheques, with many coming home with just a few coppers in their pockets.

Being without any means to try and find transport, or accommodation and food, would be a true nightmare in this situation.

Old 20-04-2010, 17:44   #134
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX1 View Post
It's starting to hack me off cashy, but they got to wait for the bloody government to say yes or no, and as usual they're getting it wrong
just heard our friend has rung airline up, asking if can rebook fer later in year answer NO. they cannot tell her if her early flight tomoz is going or not, so up at silly o clock to ring cos only 4 hrs before can they tell her they say, then if going she has to sort out transport to airport etc etc, this is pathetic to me.
Old 20-04-2010, 17:57   #135
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The 'rumour' I mentioned is fact - link found
France Sends 10 Ships, 30 Aircraft On NATO Exercise - Defense News
maybe they don't want spectators
There you go again Marge seeing conspiracies where there aren't any Back in 1993 we were involved in a Regatta in the Kieler Bucht heading to Denmark. Kiel is pretty much the home of the German Navy & in particular their Submarine fleet. The Yacht club was based inside the Base & we sailed out past the U-Boat pens, no issues.

At the same time there was a major NATO Naval exercise going on, Submarine Hunter/Killer teams were patrolling & the Navies had to locate them. Involved were the British, French, German & Danish Navies, not only did we sail through but various other Yachtsmen & women, not a peep. The only time we were herded was when a Sub had been detected & it was about to make an emergency breach to the surface, we were shepherded out of the danger area.

On our return leg we were followed in by a Sub with just its conning tower sticking out of the Sea, a rather awe inspiring & intriguing sight & again not a peep from anyone. Sometimes there really are just genuine reasons for certain things.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..