Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-05-2011, 08:09   #31
Common Sense Member

Re: Bias local newspaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If Miles Parkinson, the new Council Leader, isn't that keen on courting the press, perhaps to counter balance Cllr. Britcliffe's continued political observations, give Ken Moss his own column.

The Moss Doesn't Give a Toss column.

Oh but he does, my dear G!

I used to have a semi-regular column in Ale Cry called 'Beyond Our Ken' which I would happily resurrect....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-05-2011, 08:28   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I don't ever remember Miles or Graham having their own 'Political Column' in opposition.
As posted earlier, did either, when in opposition ask for a column?

If they did, and were refused, then yes I would concede that there was some bias.

Yes the former leader did feature heavily in umpteen photographs in the Observer. Although from some comments on here that saturation may have gone against him.

However the Observer featured many stories that weren't favourable to the last ruling group, and lots of letters on their letters page that were critical of the last council's policies...mine included.

I honestly can't blame Cllr. Britcliffe if he's wangled a regular column, whilst leader of the opposition.

It sounds a little like sour grapes that Labour never thought of doing it, and thus didn't take advantage of a free platform to communicate with the electorate.

We're told Miles Parkinson will have a low-key profile in the press, and will concentrate on doing things, rather than be seen to be doing things.

That's all well and good, but don't criticise other politicans who are keener on having a higher public profile.

The public are fickle.

You only have to look at which newspapers have the highest circulations, to see that.

They're the ones which feature lots of daft nonsense, and non-stories.

Not being a keen a media whore as the last leader, might go against Cllr. Parkinson.

I hope not, as actions do speak louder than words...or pretty pictures.

I've never thought of the Observer as being skewed politically, one way or the other, and have yet to be convinced by anything that's been posted in this thread, so far.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:31   #33
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Oh but he does, my dear G!

I used to have a semi-regular column in Ale Cry called 'Beyond Our Ken' which I would happily resurrect....
It was meant as a compliment.

That you are unafraid of saying what you actually think.

Old 29-05-2011, 08:39   #34
Common Sense Member

Quote:
It sounds a little like sour grapes that Labour never thought of doing it, and thus didn't take advantage of a free platform to communicate with the electorate.
It does sound a bit like a whinge but none of us are desperately scrabbing to get our photos in there simply because we're in control. It certainly wasn't for want of trying that we didn't always manage to get our counterpoints across or our involvements with council projects and time will tell if this trend continues.

To be honest, as I've said before people will soon get equally sick of Miles Parkinson's Good News as they have of Cllr Britcliffe's scribblings and I welcome the new initiative to have the Leader's Column written in rotation by Cabinet members in order to give a broader picture of what is being worked on.

However, after 12 years of pure Britcliffe I think the paper may further unsettle its readers by keeping his singular viewpoint going.

Last edited by Ken Moss; 29-05-2011 at 08:43.
Old 29-05-2011, 08:41   #35
Common Sense Member

Quote:
It was meant as a compliment.

That you are unafraid of saying what you actually think.

Occasionally I may go a little against the grain and allow myself the smallest amount of radical free thinking that could possibly upset one or two of the more fragile members of the community.

I do try to keep those instances to an absolute maximum, however.

Old 29-05-2011, 08:44   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It does sound a bit like a whinge but none of us are desperately scrabbing to get our photos in there simply because we're in control. It certainly wasn't for want of trying that we didn't always manage to get our counterpoints across or our involvements with council projects and time will tell if this trend continues.

To be honest, as I've said before people will soon get equally sick of Miles Parkinson's Good News as they have of Cllr Britcliffe's scribblings and I welcome the new initiative to have the Leader's Column written in rotation by Cabinet members in order to give a broader picture of what is being worked on.

After 12 years of pure Britcliffe I think the paper may further unsettle its readers by keeping that up though.
I can't see it being a popular feature.

A leader of the opposition's column.

But I can't knock him for getting it. If that's what he's done, and it's to be a regular thing.

Old 29-05-2011, 08:46   #37
God Member

Quote:

But I can't knock him for getting it. If that's what he's done, and it's to be a regular thing.

Personally I think it's a good thing. Now he is in opposition he should make enough gaffes by his whinging to keep us amused week after week
Old 29-05-2011, 08:47   #38
Common Sense Member

Quote:

To be fair, I look forward to the day when a lot of facts are released to a startled populace under Freedom Of Information and Cllr Britcliffe passes comment.

That will be an interesting edition.

Old 29-05-2011, 08:55   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
To be fair, I look forward to the day when a lot of facts are released to a startled populace under Freedom Of Information and Cllr Britcliffe passes comment.

Isn't it time to look forward, about what things you are going to do?

Rather than look back, and kick those you oppose?

Petty bickering, 'They did this, they did that', is a major turn-off for the general public.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:01   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Unless that information is included in the Leader's Column feature, I think it highly unlikely that a list of 'facts' will be published as a news story.

Unless you can give the paper an interesting angle, to convince them that the public would find it worthwhile reading.

Let's not forget newspapers are businesses.

They have to try and achieve the highest circulatuion possible, and ultimately make money.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:02   #41
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Isn't it time to look forward, about what things you are going to do?

Rather than look back, and kick those you oppose?

Petty bickering, 'They did this, they did that', is a major turn-off for the general public.
Quite right, and my own personal opinion on use of 'the previous administration' as an ongoing excuse is well-known within the Labour group. However, certain decisions over the next few months will probably require an explanation and hard facts will be the best way of doing that as far as I am concerned because harping on about 11 years of Conservative rule in Hyndburn won't wash for very long.

We shouldn't need to, I have absolute faith in the Labour group to deliver what is needed in the borough.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:16   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Miles Parkinson's Good News
Politicans of all persuasion are a bit like the religious nutters who knock on our doors.

They all think they are the only ones who have 'good news' for us.

If we disagree, we can go to Hell.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:19   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Politicans of all persuasion are a bit like the religious nutters who knock on our doors.

They all think they are the only ones who have 'good news' for us.

If we disagree, we can go to Hell.

I'm not sure that's true G. I wouldn't even say that about Peter.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:26   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I'm not sure that's true G. I wouldn't even say that about Peter.
Well I've not noticed any political bias in the local press, but neither have I seen much evidence of public approval for opposing political parties policies, even if privately they agree with them.

To a bystander it always comes across as 'Everything they do is wrong, and everything we do is right'.

Old 29-05-2011, 09:35   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well I've not noticed any political bias in the local press, but neither have I seen much evidence of public approval for opposing political parties policies, even if privately they agree with them.

To a bystander it always comes across as 'Everything they do is wrong, and everything we do is right'.
Probably because the things that different political parties might agree on isn't particularly newsworthy.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..