Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2011, 17:42   #226
Resting in Peace

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
To me negativity is saying something that's not a positive.

Just coming out with some vague, wooly concept, with no realistic understanding of any costs that might be involved.
Well there was always the saying talking cheap
Old 24-11-2011, 17:45   #227
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Some people on here are too old to get involved, some have health problem but you- young, enthusiastic and apparently some spare time. You say you've done it before, lets see you do it again- for Accrington!

may i also point out that before you make assumptions about people that you should get your facts correct first.

the only reason that i have spare time on my hands is because i was forced to give up my job due to disability! I have already pointed out that i would be happy to assist organising the event INCLUDING the design and FREE reproduction of the advertising materials
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:53   #228
Senior Member+

Quote:
someone has to give up a lot of time and energy to organise it-jedimaster sounds suitable!
I await my official request along with details of the intended budget from hbc
Old 24-11-2011, 17:57   #229
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
This is a privately owned community forum.

Nothing to do with Hyndburn Borough Council.

Thanks be to baby Jesus.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 17:58   #230
Senior Member+

Quote:
may i also point out that before you make assumptions about people that you should get your facts correct first.

the only reason that i have spare time on my hands is because i was forced to give up my job due to disability! I have already pointed out that i would be happy to assist organising the event INCLUDING the design and FREE reproduction of the advertising materials
I read the 'facts' you put on your profile-it says you are a youth worker and photographer and you presumably have some connections to Matt Howard Photography so my assumptions were not unreasonable. However, sorry to hear you have a disability!
It may be an age thing but I can't find where you offered to help with the design and free reproduction of the advertising materials, perhaps you can point me to that post?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 18:01   #231
Senior Member+

Quote:
Official request?? Now there's an opt out-I'll make you an unofficial request-please tell us when you'll show some initiative and start something yourself.
All this moaning can't be good for you!
Old 24-11-2011, 18:06   #232
Senior Member+

Quote:
I read the 'facts' you put on your profile-it says you are a youth worker and photographer and you presumably have some connections to Matt Howard Photography so my assumptions were not unreasonable. However, sorry to hear you have a disability!
It may be an age thing but I can't find where you offered to help with the design and free reproduction of the advertising materials, perhaps you can point me to that post?
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/951382-post200.html

plain enough?
Old 24-11-2011, 18:08   #233
Senior Member+

Quote:
Official request?? Now there's an opt out-I'll make you an unofficial request-please tell us when you'll show some initiative and start something yourself.
All this moaning can't be good for you!

now there's an opt out. please inform me what budget i have to play with.

and just 1 more point, we were asked for our ideas for next year, we have given them, they have been ignored. seems to be a bit of a theme where hbc are concerned!
Old 24-11-2011, 18:16   #234
Senior Member+

Quote:
Not really, there's a lot of useful information from Gayle on that post and two lines from you mentioning Hyndburn CVS but I definately can't see where you offered to help design and give free reproduction of the advertising materials.
Perhaps you've altered your post(although it does't show you edited it)or perhaps you just get confused when you get too exited?
Old 24-11-2011, 18:40   #235
God Member

[quote=jedimaster;951363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post

so how do we go about meeting with him then
He has an office on the market balcony. If you go to the main office they will point you in the right direction. Good luck
Old 24-11-2011, 18:43   #236
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i would much rather see your shop on broadway than peel street
I thought I'd wait for Store 21 to move out, not many of the other shops would have the space for my empire

If I could afford those rents I'd be trading in Burnley where the council give a **** about the town
Old 24-11-2011, 19:18   #237
Beacon of light

Gordon see post 200. Jedi's responses are in red....so he has said he would be happy to do some of the leg work.
As for being old at 30...haven't you heard that 30 is the new twenty?
I am well past 30...twice past and then a bit, but I do not feel old....age is not the number on your birth certificate, it is a state of mind.
You don't get old by doing things...you get old by not doing things.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 19:24   #238
Beacon of light

Invite people down to the event - print invites - cost involved. (me)
Design posters (me)
Print posters - who's going to pay for that? (me)
Gordon, these are the responses of Jedi...in red
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 19:29   #239

Part of an email I received today at work:

"Shoppers looking for a unique Christmas experience this year are being urged to take to the cobbles again on Sunday 27 November from noon on Bank Street in Rawtenstall! Now in its third year, Clogs on t’ Cobbles is guaranteed to be a fun filled family day out.

On Bank Street shoppers will be greeted by mixture of local craft and food stalls, a brass band and street performers. Other attractions on the day include a Town Crier, clog making demonstrations, carol singers, children’s fairground rides, crepes, hog roast, bratwurst sausages, ... the list is endless. Rossendale Radio will be there all day to help provide a festive atmosphere and Rawtenstall Market will also be open for the day with special events and attractions and the Mayor and Mini Mayor with special guests will switch the Christmas Lights on at 4pm on Bank St."
Sounds like Rawtenstall might have got their act together - Why on earth can Accrington not do something similar instead of paying for third or fourth rate celebrities which attracts nobody but the people who we should not be aiming for and contribute little - in my opinion and that of other people I know Accrington needs to up it's game!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 19:38   #240
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Part of an email I received today at work:

"Shoppers looking for a unique Christmas experience this year are being urged to take to the cobbles again on Sunday 27 November from noon on Bank Street in Rawtenstall! Now in its third year, Clogs on t’ Cobbles is guaranteed to be a fun filled family day out.

On Bank Street shoppers will be greeted by mixture of local craft and food stalls, a brass band and street performers. Other attractions on the day include a Town Crier, clog making demonstrations, carol singers, children’s fairground rides, crepes, hog roast, bratwurst sausages, ... the list is endless. Rossendale Radio will be there all day to help provide a festive atmosphere and Rawtenstall Market will also be open for the day with special events and attractions and the Mayor and Mini Mayor with special guests will switch the Christmas Lights on at 4pm on Bank St."
Sounds like Rawtenstall might have got their act together - Why on earth can Accrington not do something similar instead of paying for third or fourth rate celebrities which attracts nobody but the people who we should not be aiming for and contribute little - in my opinion and that of other people I know Accrington needs to up it's game!
Warner Street Winter Festival has been proposed -let's hope the powers that be have the imagination to harness the idea Anne!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..