Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-11-2011, 19:51   #241
Senior Member+

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Invite people down to the event - print invites - cost involved. (me)
Design posters (me)
Print posters - who's going to pay for that? (me)
Gordon, these are the responses of Jedi...in red
Ahh,Margaret, I learn yet again! I thought the red responses on Gayles attachment were her listings of her responsabilities!I said it might be an age thing!
Now I understand- I owe jedimaster an apology and he has it.Or he will when he comes on line again.
As for over 30, I agree but if you and I went in Leons club I think the noise would blow us out of the doors-it wouldn't need the bouncers. Different ages want different entertainment. Accyweb isn't a representative cross section of Accrington.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-11-2011, 19:57   #242
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Ahh,Margaret, I learn yet again! I thought the red responses on Gayles attachment were her listings of her responsabilities!I said it might be an age thing!
Now I understand- I owe jedimaster an apology and he has it.Or he will when he comes on line again.
As for over 30, I agree but if you and I went in Leons club I think the noise would blow us out of the doors-it wouldn't need the bouncers. Different ages want different entertainment. Accyweb isn't a representative cross section of Accrington.
Sorry to disagree Gordon but there is a wide range represented here age-wise as far as i can see - kids love historical things too when presented in a way that relates to them - let them see what a Victorian school was like! There is a lack of imagination and an eye too constantly on what is politically correct these days.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 20:00   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Warner Street Winter Festival has been proposed -let's hope the powers that be have the imagination to harness the idea Anne!
I hope so, it doesn't sound either too difficult or too expensive to do and also in the email it mentioned a charity aspect to the event - I just think it's a good way to go!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 20:53   #244
Senior Member+

Lets get practical- cost projections as Garinda rightly requires.
The Dickensian Fair, Grassington was mentioned as an example. Beautiful Dales village, popular with tourists all year round ( Compare with Accrington?).
Fair costs in 2003(8 years ago)-Skipton website.
Total cost-£30,000.Insurance-£2000.portable loos £1500(Accrington will need them!).45,000 programmes,not costed but £1000 to distribute. Can't find list of other costs.
They got some money back by charging £5 car parking-8 years ago! Could Accrington get away with special parking charges?
As far as I can see that was for 3 Saturdays.
With inflation at 5%-I think thats about £44-£45 thousand pounds(can't remember how to do compound interest) and I'll bet it's actually a lot more now.
Returns - someone tell me! How do you get any of that money back?
Can HBC afford that? Will volunteers be able to do it for nothing? No to both.
Some lovely ideas but in todays climate not on! Just being a realist.
Old 24-11-2011, 21:00   #245

Ok people.... Hopefully this will bring a smile to some faces on here, I have just come back from the Accrington Regeneration Board meeting and the xmas lights for next year where brought up...

Next year we have moved the lights to Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th November 2012, On the Saturday we will have a christmas fayre market using the traders that are in the market, plans have only been mentioned today so i dont have a list of the ins and outs yet however the market traders were very supportive and want to be involved so that should keep a percentage happy, We are going to have choirs from local schools and churches through the day, the main stage will again be up and running and entertainment throughout the day will be on till late evening with a fireworks display, and Sunday they are going to be having an xmas service with carols and things at the chruches, I brought up your points and they were listened to..... So lets see how it goes
Leon Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 21:01   #246
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The Dickensian Fair, Grassington was mentioned as an example. Beautiful Dales village, popular with tourists all year round ( Compare with Accrington?).
Total cost-£30,000.Insurance-£2000.portable loos £1500(Accrington will need them!).45,000 programmes,not costed but £1000 to distribute. Can't find list of other costs.
They got some money back by charging £5 car parking-8 years ago! Could Accrington get away with special parking charges?
With inflation at 5%-I think thats about £44-£45 thousand pounds(can't remember how to do compound interest) and I'll bet it's actually a lot more now.
A-b did suggest starting on a small scale to begin with, based around St. James church.

The heritage thing is done a lot, but people like it, and we're lucky, the town centre has an abundance of it.

We're told the fireworks alone cost six grand.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 21:03   #247
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kelly View Post
Ok people.... Hopefully this will bring a smile to some faces on here, I have just come back from the Accrington Regeneration Board meeting and the xmas lights for next year where brought up...

Next year we have moved the lights to Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th November 2012, On the Saturday we will have a christmas fayre market using the traders that are in the market, plans have only been mentioned today so i dont have a list of the ins and outs yet however the market traders were very supportive and want to be involved so that should keep a percentage happy, We are going to have choirs from local schools and churches through the day, the main stage will again be up and running and entertainment throughout the day will be on till late evening with a fireworks display, and Sunday they are going to be having an xmas service with carols and things at the chruches, I brought up your points and they were listened to..... So lets see how it goes
Genuinely, that sounds a great move forward.

Thank you.

Old 24-11-2011, 21:04   #248
Senior Member+

Quote:

Good for you!
Old 24-11-2011, 21:07   #249
God Member

Quote:

Wow -a result -sort of! Great Scott...or whoever...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-11-2011, 21:07   #250
Beacon of light

Quote:
I never did the club scene(and have no plans to start at this advanced stage of my life)....but I have been to music concerts.
And yes different ages do tend to want different entertainment, but I think that when catering for a communtiy event, you have to be broad enough to bring in a variety of ages.
And I take your point about Accyweb not being truly representative.....but most of us boring old birds have friends and family who are younger(and possibly more vibrant) I don't know anyone in my circle of associates who went to this Switch on event.
I don't doubt what Leon says about it being a success, I'm sure the peole who went had a very nice time. And what succeeds one year tends to be replicated the next year and so on....so it becomes a bit staid and stale.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 21:10   #251
Beacon of light

Quote:

Hooray.........that is excellent news. Well done for representing our ideas.
Thank you!
Old 24-11-2011, 21:11   #252
Beacon of light

I'm going to put that in my new diary.......when I get it
Old 24-11-2011, 21:12   #253
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Hooray.........that is excellent news. Well done for representing our ideas.
Thank you!
It is.

Save you a seat?

Old 24-11-2011, 21:13   #254
God Member

Quote:
I never did the club scene(and have no plans to start at this advanced stage of my life)....but I have been to music concerts.
And yes different ages do tend to want different entertainment, but I think that when catering for a communtiy event, you have to be broad enough to bring in a variety of ages.
And I take your point about Accyweb not being truly representative.....but most of us boring old birds have friends and family who are younger(and possibly more vibrant) I don't know anyone in my circle of associates who went to this Switch on event.
I don't doubt what Leon says about it being a success, I'm sure the peole who went had a very nice time. And what succeeds one year tends to be replicated the next year and so on....so it becomes a bit staid and stale.
Excuse me Margaret -as a boring old bird myself, who like your good self enjoys Elbow and Cold-Play, perhaps we should consider ourselves more and push for what we like too....we aren' that far off the mainstream -just a bit more up-market and there's nothing wrong in that at all. No more apologies - power to the ladies!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 24-11-2011, 21:18   #255

Quote:
I can only make out £4500 here, why would there be a need for portable toilets when we are talking about an afternoon/early evening. Why a need for programmes when posters/ emails would suffice? Why can Hyndburn council not liaise with Rawtenstall council who seem to be having some success in their own quite deprived area which is nothing like Grassington or is that not allowed? Are you thinking too deeply about this? Are you able to say what the £25000 excess in Grassington consisted of? I know this answer sounds a bit aggressive but it's honestly not intended to be, it really is just my genuine curiosity based on my ignorance and naivety on this subject.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..