Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 22:00   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Where's the line for Comedians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Oh ... and to answer the question, there is no line ... if there were, it would be censorship. What's worse, someone telling you what is, or what is not funny ... or some joke you can choose to listen to or not. I remember some Danish cartoons a couple of years back ....
I'm always amazed at the speed with which jokes fly across the world, minutes after something horrible has happening.

Do they all sit in a big room somewhere, watching live news streams, fingers poised on their keyboards?

Oh no!

I'm a conspiracy theorist.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2011, 22:09   #32
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm always amazed at the speed with which jokes fly across the world, minutes after something horrible has happening.

Do they all sit in a big room somewhere, watching live news streams, fingers poised on their keyboards?

Oh no!

A lot of 'em end up on here Sickipedia - Building the world's best collection of sick jokes If something big hits the news it probably can be on here within the hour.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:17   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
That's it, you nailed it ... this is the law, all the rest is commentary ... and whether one laughs or not is a matter of personal taste.
Exactly n those who judge "Don't" or "Shouldn't" go see em, there has always been "Black" Humour, always will be, n always those that don't like it, its called life.
Old 25-11-2011, 22:29   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
A lot of 'em end up on here Sickipedia - Building the world's best collection of sick jokes If something big hits the news it probably can be on here within the hour.
thanks for the link, off to see what there is to chuckle at.

jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 06:54   #35
Beacon of light

Jimmy Carr says there are no taboo subjects.........I have to admit that I don't watch him because I find his humour inane, juvenile, and er....humourless.....but I am pretty sure he doesn't joke about Jews or Muslims....maybe because there would be the kind of backlash that he doesn't need, and these groups of people are stronger.......he prefers to joke about disabled children.

Anyway...Karma to him.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 07:48   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Oh no!

Maybe it all has to do with visitors from the future; someone like George Kilroy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_(short_story)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 08:27   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jimmy Carr says there are no taboo subjects.........I have to admit that I don't watch him because I find his humour inane, juvenile, and er....humourless.....but I am pretty sure he doesn't joke about Jews or Muslims....maybe because there would be the kind of backlash that he doesn't need, and these groups of people are stronger.......he prefers to joke about disabled children.

Anyway...Karma to him.
That's where i draw the line, i do think that comedy has to be allowed the license to be controversial and certainly non pc, but i draw the line at making fun of people who are unable to defend themselves...its basically the rules of the playground bully all over again, is cowardly and has no place in a civilised society!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 08:47   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
That's where i draw the line, i do think that comedy has to be allowed the license to be controversial and certainly non pc, but i draw the line at making fun of people who are unable to defend themselves...its basically the rules of the playground bully all over again, is cowardly and has no place in a civilised society!

Best Regards - Taggy
My thoughts entirely on the subject Taggy. As for jokes they say that there are only 5 basic jokes which all comedy is based on, never quite worked out what they are
Old 26-11-2011, 10:31   #39
I am Banned

There certainly is a line and it was most definitely crossed by Carr on this occasion. As Margaret pointed out, had he made a joke about muslims or the holocaust etc he would have been castigated by mainstream media. It seems some P.C causes are more trendy than others. How disabled children can be mocked whilst a whole religion can be protected is beyond me. I think if i would be more offended by the Downs Syndrome gag than any about my colour etc. It seems that certain minority groups are'nt worthy of P.C protection purely because there are'nt as many of them to upset and lose their votes, thats why its political.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:48   #40

I've read this thread a few times. My son has downs syndrome and over the years we have been used to the stares and the 'kind' generalised comments people make. Luckily for him I'm sure frankie boyle's 'joke' would by-pass him completely. It only hurt us as parents but we just take the view that in life there will always be these kind of people and we are better than that.
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 14:38   #41
God Member

I like a laugh as much as most people but can't understand the inversion there seems to have been from knocking the big institutions to focussing on the more vulnerable in society.

The first real "modern" commedian for me was Dave Allen - back in the 70's- simple recogniseable style and a laid back delivery - he represented the average man on the street.

He was a religious skeptic or "what you might call a practising atheist" (his own words) Religion became an important subject for his humour, especially the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England, generally mocking church customs and rituals rather than beliefs.

He said that power and the hierarchy of everything in life was what bothered him. People, whoever they might be, whether from the government, the police, nuns and priests or just the anonymous the man on the door ....

He was a true cynic and that to me is what real commedy is about....

"Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you".

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 15:29   #42
white rabbits

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...28702670_n.jpg
MY KIND OF HUMOUR...
Old 26-11-2011, 15:34   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Add my name to that letter to Santa...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 15:56   #44
Beacon of light

Quote:
Oh ... and to answer the question, there is no line ... if there were, it would be censorship. What's worse, someone telling you what is, or what is not funny ... or some joke you can choose to listen to or not. I remember some Danish cartoons a couple of years back ....
I am not advocating censorship.....I am advocating sensitivity.....a sort of self regulated, in built, ethical compass.
And it wasn't a joke as such where Jimmy Carr made fun of Down's children, it was a sort of comment, a remark.
Which says a lot about the ethics of the man. If he thought that waht he said was funny, then he has a very sick sense of humour, no ethics and no moral compass.
Old 26-11-2011, 15:58   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post

I really like that Grannyclaret.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..