Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 16:05   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Where's the line for Comedians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariam82 View Post
I've read this thread a few times. My son has downs syndrome and over the years we have been used to the stares and the 'kind' generalised comments people make. Luckily for him I'm sure frankie boyle's 'joke' would by-pass him completely. It only hurt us as parents but we just take the view that in life there will always be these kind of people and we are better than that.
You are right Mariam, it doesn't hurt the children with Downs syndrome because frequently they do not understand it. But it does cause hurt and offence to the parents and families, who are the advocates of these children.
And yes, you are better than him because he has no humanity.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2011, 20:46   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not advocating censorship.....I am advocating sensitivity.....a sort of self regulated, in built, ethical compass.
And it wasn't a joke as such where Jimmy Carr made fun of Down's children, it was a sort of comment, a remark.
Which says a lot about the ethics of the man. If he thought that waht he said was funny, then he has a very sick sense of humour, no ethics and no moral compass.
I agree with all of that!..Its like i said earlier, its cowardly bullying not comedy!...Because Disabled people don't have a big enough voice he thinks he can get away with saying things about them that he wouldn't dare say about Black people or people of different race to him!

The negative image of late, portrayed of Disabled people in the media does not help & people such as Carr & Gervais think they have Carte Blanche to say anything they want...unless as i say its about Race!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 22:01   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not advocating censorship.....I am advocating sensitivity.....a sort of self regulated, in built, ethical compass.
And it wasn't a joke as such where Jimmy Carr made fun of Down's children, it was a sort of comment, a remark.
Which says a lot about the ethics of the man. If he thought that waht he said was funny, then he has a very sick sense of humour, no ethics and no moral compass.
I'm not saying you are advocating censorship, hon .... I just offered an answer to the question posed in the thread title ... Personally, I find there are certain types of comedy, certain jokes which are not funny because of their subject ... but that's only my opinion. I know, for example, that some folks object to obscenity in comedy ... I admit that I don't like it (me, with a vocabulary that would roast a sailor's parrot) if it serves no comedic purpose.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 22:30   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Humour comes in many shapes & forms & what appeals to one person may well be offensive to another, that's the nature of the beast. As to censoring it, it can't work as it's horses for courses because when alls said & done these people are trying to earn a living in their own way the same as everyone else.

Admittedly some things are nearer to the bone than others & if a particular comic is known for their abrasive style & is likely to offend your personal sensibilities switch off or over, that's really all that can be done. We all complain loudly enough when we feel we've been subjected to attacks & infringements on our personal liberties because of views or comments we may make, should our detractors be sanctioned & censored for their opinions too ?

As with all things there has to be give & take, the World isn't perfect so we've got to get along as best we can.

For the record, I don't really like Jimmy Carrs material, but occasionally he'll cause me to grin.
Old 26-11-2011, 22:59   #50
Senior Member+

i am by no means in agreement with mocking vulnerable and disabled people, however where do you draw the line. I remember a very funny story told by jim davidson where at a disabled soldiers reunion one disabled squaddie walks up to
simon weston and says ' ullo simon, we was only talking about you the other day.......... was your ears burning again?

very dark,totally un pc and in bad taste yet bloody hilarious and a true story
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 23:05   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
i am by no means in agreement with mocking vulnerable and disabled people, however where do you draw the line. I remember a very funny story told by jim davidson where at a disabled soldiers reunion one disabled squaddie walks up to
simon weston and says ' ullo simon, we was only talking about you the other day.......... was your ears burning again?

very dark,totally un pc and in bad taste yet bloody hilarious and a true story
You draw the line at the point where the Target audience can't defend them selves!!..Simon Weston is ex forces and can give as good as he gets!...A Brain Injured Youngster unfortunately can't!...and if there's one person on here who could give me a good reason why a Brain Injured youngster should become a target for someones's comedy & cheap laugh's...i'd like to hear it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 23:16   #52

I think most of what I would have said on this topic has been said..Jimmy Carr should be banned from television, and public theatres ,since his kind of comedy is NOT comedy..As for crossing the line,well , he's over it by a mile. Get shut, and give John Bishop the air time, he is a funny man no probs....
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 23:18   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
I think most of what I would have said on this topic has been said..Jimmy Carr should be banned from television, and public theatres ,since his kind of comedy is NOT comedy..As for crossing the line,well , he's over it by a mile. Get shut, and give John Bishop the air time, he is a funny man no probs....
Agree with that!..I've heard John Bishop interviewed a few times too & he seems a really nice fella!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-11-2011, 23:48   #54
Senior Member+

i agree to a point as i said i do not agree with taking the proverbial out of vulnerable people however should all disability be a taboo?also in the previous example simon weston was known by the guy however standup comedians do not have that luxury with their audiences i have seen stand ups take the mick out of disabled people in the audiece and the disabled people have loved it as they have felt included simply because has gone against the 'oh no mustn't take the mick out of him cause he's in a wheelchair' kind of thinking as i said before i don't know what the joke in question was so i can't comment and personally i think jimmy carr is a waste of airtime purely cos he aint funny or entertaining in any way, im a fan of qi but i will not watch it if he's on it
Old 26-11-2011, 23:52   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
i agree to a point as i said i do not agree with taking the proverbial out of vulnerable people however should all disability be a taboo?also in the previous example simon weston was known by the guy however standup comedians do not have that luxury with their audiences i have seen stand ups take the mick out of disabled people in the audiece and the disabled people have loved it as they have felt included simply because has gone against the 'oh no mustn't take the mick out of him cause he's in a wheelchair' kind of thinking as i said before i don't know what the joke in question was so i can't comment and personally i think jimmy carr is a waste of airtime purely cos he aint funny or entertaining in any way, im a fan of qi but i will not watch it if he's on it
OK, to make things clear from my point, i'm talking about Disabled people who are so obviously disabled that they can't get the joke!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-11-2011, 00:09   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
What about children who suffer from obesity, victims of child abuse, and people disabled by motor neurone disease?

Three jokes, originally written and performed by John Bishop.

John Bishop: "Being an England supporter is like being the over-optimistic parents of the fat kid on sports day." (From top ten jokes from the Fringe, 2010.)

John Bishop: My son always misbehaved and there was nothing I could do about it. So I asked an expert and she said the next time he has a tantrum don't get angry, just splash him with some water. I though this was weird but I tried it anyway. However it just made him worse. He just screamed even more.

I should probably not use the kettle next time...
Sickipedia Search Results - Bishop

John Bishop: How does Stephen Hawking know he has won a prize?

There's a ramp.
Sickipedia - How does Stephe...

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 00:28   #57
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
OK, to make things clear from my point, i'm talking about Disabled people who are so obviously disabled that they can't get the joke!

Best Regards - Taggy
my point is should we stop telling jokes that offend someone if not why is it ok to offend some people but not others
Old 27-11-2011, 00:32   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post

Best Regards - Taggy

just to be clear, we can't take the mick out of man utd. fans then
Old 27-11-2011, 00:34   #59
Give, give, give member

I think any humour can be cruel, but it depends on the context, of who says it, where it's said, and to whom.

The only thing I ever struggle to remember is jokes.

I'm just trying to think of a joke that doesn't ask the listener to laugh at some target.

Are there any?

Because we create taboos, about certain things that are off limits, people will still make jokes about them, and some people will laugh, mainly because of nerves, that a taboo subject has even been touched upon.

I don't think you can ban certain subjects, though of course you can limit the audience.

I once heckled someone at a comedy club in London, at a joke I found offensive, whilst I was sat right in the front row.

My heckle was way funnier than his act, and also got a bigger laugh, than he'd been getting up until then.

He totally lost it, and left the stage, without saying another word.

Result.

People will continue to joke about things some will find offensive.

People should be free to complain about them, if they do.

Old 27-11-2011, 00:40   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
just to be clear, we can't take the mick out of man utd. fans then
Shut up Nerys.

You're so not funny.

Run along now.

You've rams that need milking.

After you've finished worrying the sheep, with their life coaching lessons.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..