Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk
Donate! Join Today

General Sport and Hobby Talk General chat about anything sport or hobby related.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2012, 13:37   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Off Topic- Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Think that' s the point Jay - they have to age disgracefully.

Unfortunately I missed the closing ceremony -I like a bit of entertainment especially when it's OTT and open to criticism George can get away with anything as far as I'm concerned -have always been a fan and he has a voice which is a gift of nature.
So is going the Loo when yer busting, but don't know many who are overkeen on that.
Old 13-08-2012, 14:19   #47
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Good, he has nowt to do with British music
No but he did write some proper, cracking symphonies.
Old 13-08-2012, 14:25   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The Who at the end were perfect and I thought they were a great choice - Roger Daltrey is in damn good nick and still hits the notes!

As a fan of fireworks - all that side of things was good and the Firebird dance with Darcy Bussell and the switching off of the flame was very arty and well done.

I wonder what will happen to the construction that made up the flame -presumably it will go on display somewhere...
Yes I liked the Who and I enjoyed the bit with Eric Idle.
The Brazilian bit was great and very... Brazilian. Nice to see Pele!

The Firebird dance was good. I believe all those copper "petals" will be returned to each country, who brought them in on opening nght, as a souvenir. The idea is tht the cauldron will disappear and each petal, with its fire-worn surface, will be the only reminder of its existence - got all this from an interview with the designer recently.
Old 13-08-2012, 17:17   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I wonder what will happen to the construction that made up the flame -presumably it will go on display somewhere...
Back of half a dozen beat up transits ! (With Oirish plates )
Old 13-08-2012, 17:40   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Think that' s the point Jay - they have to age disgracefully.

Unfortunately I missed the closing ceremony -I like a bit of entertainment especially when it's OTT and open to criticism George can get away with anything as far as I'm concerned -have always been a fan and he has a voice which is a gift of nature.

Just saw a bit of it in a re-run on Eurosport - I saw Annie Lennox when I got in for 2 mins last night - she's a great performer. Just seen "Take That" who I enjoyed -hats off to Gary Barlow for perfoming so soon after the death of his newborn child... they will never be as good without Robbie though -show man par excellence.

Could have managed without seeing Queen -not the same without Mercurial Freddie

The Who at the end were perfect and I thought they were a great choice - Roger Daltrey is in damn good nick and still hits the notes!

As a fan of fireworks - all that side of things was good and the Firebird dance with Darcy Bussell and the switching off of the flame was very arty and well done.

Did you actually see George Michael Di, he looked a real mess, mind you it probably matched his voice
Old 13-08-2012, 22:40   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Back of half a dozen beat up transits ! (With Oirish plates )
No more K to give DiG -this deserves it -made me laugh

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 22:43   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Did you actually see George Michael Di, he looked a real mess, mind you it probably matched his voice
Physically may have been in a mess -didn't see him unfortunately, but he's a beautiful person nonetheless and has had some personal trials recently...would have done my best to see through his pain

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-08-2012, 23:00   #53
God Member

The same old Tories..? Dave Cameron and next boss Boris dancing while most of this nation suffers...these people have been warned and told time and time again the destruction of this nation will not be taken easily.

Last edited by Mancie; 13-08-2012 at 23:08.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 08:13   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The same old Tories..? Dave Cameron and next boss Boris dancing while most of this nation suffers...these people have been warned and told time and time again the destruction of this nation will not be taken easily.

You have to admit though, Boris is the better mover of the two. His "thumbs up" dance will be all the rage in discos across the land!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-08-2012, 09:42   #55
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You have to admit though, Boris is the better mover of the two. His "thumbs up" dance will be all the rage in discos across the land!
Yep agree about - and he appears to be moving his feet too so he really is dancing not just wiggling his torso.

He seemed to have tamed his hair for his big moment on stage too - waving the Olympic flag with great gusto!
Old 14-08-2012, 11:20   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Yep agree about - and he appears to be moving his feet too so he really is dancing not just wiggling his torso.

He seemed to have tamed his hair for his big moment on stage too - waving the Olympic flag with great gusto!
I believe he has some Turkish ancestry -could have been a throwback to his bellydancing forebearers

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-08-2012, 13:05   #57
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I believe he has some Turkish ancestry -could have been a throwback to his bellydancing forebearers
Quite true Dianne. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

On his father's side, Johnson is a great-grandson of Ali Kemal Bey, a liberal Turkish journalist and the Interior Minister in the government of Damat Ferid Pasha, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire, who was killed during the Turkish War of Independence. During World War I, Johnson's paternal grandfather and great-aunt were recognised as British subjects and took their grandmother's maiden name of Johnson. In reference to his cosmopolitan ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot"—with a combination of Muslims, Jews, and Christians comprising his great-grandparentage. His father's maternal grandmother, Marie Louise de Pfeffel, was a descendant of Prince Paul of Württemberg through his relationship with a German actress. Through Prince Paul, Johnson is a descendant of King George II and, through George's great-great-great grandfather James I/VI, a descendant of all of the previous British royal houses. Johnson is an 8th cousin of David Cameron.

And here's a group he might like to join:

London Belly Dance - Male belly dancers

Old 14-08-2012, 13:39   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Quite true Dianne. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

On his father's side, Johnson is a great-grandson of Ali Kemal Bey, a liberal Turkish journalist and the Interior Minister in the government of Damat Ferid Pasha, Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire, who was killed during the Turkish War of Independence. During World War I, Johnson's paternal grandfather and great-aunt were recognised as British subjects and took their grandmother's maiden name of Johnson. In reference to his cosmopolitan ancestry, Johnson has described himself as a "one-man melting pot"—with a combination of Muslims, Jews, and Christians comprising his great-grandparentage. His father's maternal grandmother, Marie Louise de Pfeffel, was a descendant of Prince Paul of Württemberg through his relationship with a German actress. Through Prince Paul, Johnson is a descendant of King George II and, through George's great-great-great grandfather James I/VI, a descendant of all of the previous British royal houses. Johnson is an 8th cousin of David Cameron.

And here's a group he might like to join:

London Belly Dance - Male belly dancers

I remembered he had quite mixed ancestry as i saw it on "Who do you think you are?" the other year when i was over...(good programme I enjoyed the few episodes i saw)

I think he may just have a little too much belly for that dancing group but no doubt he'd love dressing up in the costumes -he does love "Pfeffeling" about

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 14-08-2012, 13:41   #59
God Member

Quote:
He is a big lump of babba with shoes on

Last edited by Mancie; 14-08-2012 at 13:44.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 13:58   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
He is a big lump of babba with shoes on
Yer being a bit unfair to turds Mancie.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..