Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2008, 21:32   #1
God Member

Perfect Rice?

I cook rice at least 3 times a week but can never seem to get the rice fluffy, i always strain it with boiling water(as per instructions) when its done but it still ends up really stodgy

anyone any advice on the matter? i'm fed up of eating gloop
Old 30-09-2008, 21:37   #2

Re: Perfect Rice?

I can’t get it right either so just get the boil in the bag stuff…would like to know how to make it right too. I’m not even sure which particular type of rice I should be buying.

Look forward to learning something with this thread.
Old 30-09-2008, 21:40   #3
God Member

i buy long grain rice, i strain it with cold water before i put it in boiling water and then strain it with boiling water when its done

just as it says on the packet
Old 30-09-2008, 21:47   #4

So what gets used if you make rice pudding. That’s different stuff isn’t it ???
Old 30-09-2008, 21:48   #5
God Member

pass
Old 30-09-2008, 21:52   #6
God Member

I always use basmati rice.
The knack is to measure the volume of rice and add double that volume of cold water.

When it just begins to simmer slap a tight fitting lid on and turn the heat down to the minimum possible heat your hob allows. Don't lift the lid for 15 minutes. When you do the rice will have absorbed all the water and is ready to be hot rinsed, strained and ready to serve.

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-09-2008 at 21:56.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 22:01   #7
God Member

ahhhhhhh cold water, i'll try that, thanx Margaret
Old 30-09-2008, 22:04   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
I cook rice at least 3 times a week but can never seem to get the rice fluffy, i always strain it with boiling water(as per instructions) when its done but it still ends up really stodgy

anyone any advice on the matter? i'm fed up of eating gloop
The Asian cash and carry on Bennington street carry all kinds of different rice (By the ton).
He speaks very good English and will tell you the best rice to use.
They also have curry's from the mild Korma to 'Hell fire, what was that'
Sold in bags without the usual trimmings.....good value for money.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 22:05   #9

I have always kept it boiling, never turned the heat down low. Knew I'd learn something
Old 30-09-2008, 22:07   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The Asian cash and carry on Bennington street carry all kinds of different rice (By the ton).
He speaks very good English and will tell you the best rice to use.
They also have curry's from the mild Korma to 'Hell fire, what was that'
Sold in bags without the usual trimmings.....good value for money.

lol, been to that place with my dad, they do a nice selection of sauces too, i may have to drag his lordship down there this week to have a nosey

cheers Roy
Old 30-09-2008, 22:07   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I have always kept it boiling, never turned the heat down low. Knew I'd learn something
Don't forget the lid - it cooks in the steam -, don't let it boil off

Old 30-09-2008, 22:08   #12
Caz
God Member

Ever thought of a rice cooker? I invested in a very large size one. I just empty a kilo of rinsed rice into it, & fill up with cold water to the top level. Takes 20 mins or so. What we don't use that day gets frozen in 2 or 3 portions for other meals.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 22:09   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
Ever thought of a rice cooker? I invested in a very large size one. I just empty a kilo of rinsed rice into it, & fill up with cold water to the top level. Takes 20 mins or so. What we don't use that day gets frozen in 2 or 3 portions for other meals.

ah, i saw some of those last week in't th'asda
Old 30-09-2008, 22:13   #14
God Member

They sound ideal for large families, but when you are cooking for just two are they really worth the expense? and storage space?

Old 30-09-2008, 22:18   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

I have a Tupperware rice cooker that I bought over 20 years ago. You boil the rice in a pan for 5 minutes then transfer it all to the rice-cooker, put the lid on and leave for 20 minutes. Rice comes out fluffy and non-stodgy.

I've never had a problem with cooking it on the stove. It's important to use a lot of water, as rice absorbs an awful lot, but as long as you don't leave it boiling too long it shouldn't be stodgy. Never use round grain, though, as it's the wrong consistency for anything but rice pudding.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..