Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2006, 23:16   #1
Give, give, give member

Pie shops.

When I was a child in the late 60's, on shopping trips to the bright lights of Accrington, there were two choices we were given where we could eat.

We could go to the chip shop on Church Street, or Billy Boden's in Warner Street.

Billy Boden's was a place that just served delicous loose potato pie, with a square piece of crust. You sat in the kitchen where they did the cooking on a big black leaded range. There was nothing else on the menu besides loose potato pie, although they did do jam rolly polly for pudding.

We had one of these pies shops in Oswaldtwistle, on Union Road at the corner of Cross Street, opposite the Golden Cross.

Where there anymore pie shops besides the one I remember in Warner Street?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2006, 03:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pie shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
When I was a child in the late 60's, on shopping trips to the bright lights of Accrington, there were two choices we were given where we could eat.

We could go to the chip shop on Church Street, or Billy Boden's in Warner Street.

Billy Boden's was a place that just served delicous loose potato pie, with a square piece of crust. You sat in the kitchen where they did the cooking on a big black leaded range. There was nothing else on the menu besides loose potato pie, although they did do jam rolly polly for pudding.

We had one of these pies shops in Oswaldtwistle, on Union Road at the corner of Cross Street, opposite the Golden Cross.

Where there anymore pie shops besides the one I remember in Warner Street?
What a small world, my mum worked in Billy Bowdens for years and our Tea was what ever was left over as the waitresses got to take it home, my favorite was loose potatoe pie.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 10:32   #3
Give, give, give member

Lol it is a small world!

When it was my turn to choose I always picked Billy Bowdens, the loose spud pie was fantastic.

You were lucky, all I was brought up on was stale cakes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 20:28   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Going back a lot further, during the 30s and 40s my aunt had a baker's shop in West End, on Blackburn Rd. opposite Spread Eagle St. She used to make potato pie and mushy peas at lunchtime. It was mainly bought by the workers at Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill who would drop off their own dishes early in the mornings and call for them about noon when they were filled up with their hot dinners. She also had a couple of regular lunch-time diners who ate in her dining-room behind the shop but they were teachers from West End school. I only remember the head mistress, at the time, whose name was Miss Grimshaw.

Auntie never opened in the evenings so, after the pictures or whatever, there was just the chippy. It did sell Hollands pies and puddings though, almost (but not quite) as good as auntie's.
Old 27-01-2006, 05:01   #5
Senior Member+

The one up Ossy was Jimmy "Stevies" they had lovely loose plate pie and peas. Another I remember was the Cococabana? on Abby St. they had plate meat pie, chips and peas, if we got there early we had to cook our own chips, they also put a full loaf of bread and butter on your table, they also made a good pudding. Kendals cafe on Blackburn Rd was also great for lunch during the 60s, the cafe was in the cellar, not the poshest place but good food.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 09:08   #6
van

[quote=West Ender]Going back a lot further, during the 30s and 40s my aunt had a baker's shop in West End, on Blackburn Rd. opposite Spread Eagle St. She used to make potato pie and mushy peas at lunchtime. It was mainly bought by the workers at Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill who would drop off their own dishes early in the mornings and call for them about noon when they were filled up with their hot dinners. She also had a couple of regular lunch-time diners who ate in her dining-room behind the shop but they were teachers from West End school. I only remember the head mistress, at the time, whose name was Miss Grimshaw.

Auntie never opened in the evenings so, after the pictures or whatever, there was just the chippy. It did sell Hollands pies and puddings though, almost (but not quite) as good as auntie's. [/quote

Amazin story ..fantastic stuff..hollands were good.. but not that good
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 09:16   #7
van

I do remember going down church street to a pie shop .. we would take a large pot to the shop and they would fill it with steak puds ,peas.spuds, and gravy.. delicous.. seemed to me
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25   #8
Resting in peace

Westender, was that the auntie who moved to Lyon Street? She made really good stuff, I remember it well. Her custards were a dream and her vanillas were the best for miles around.

I remember Kendals, being taken there as a treat after the matinee at the Hippodrome, not too smart, but really good food.

In the 60s there was a shop on Blackburn Road in Church, a junk shop really, but they did hot meals, take your own basin. Good stuff, too, but for some reason it didn't last long.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 19:34   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

Yes, Pendy, it was my aunt Elsie Turner. She was a very good baker wasn't she? I don't think she made potato pie for sale after she moved to Church but her bread and cakes always sold like.......hot cakes.
Old 11-10-2007, 22:42   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was too idle to start a new thread, so resurected this lol, there was a shop on union rd, just lower than the Bay Horse- across the road, did a splendid loose spud pie etc, think it was called Waltons? anyone confirm? also Billy Bowdens son Phillip was living in Thailand last i heard.
Old 12-10-2007, 13:26   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think the one on union rd was jim waltons? used to have me dinner there mon/fri in 59-60.
tinker n budget likes this.
Old 12-10-2007, 21:45   #12
Accy Goddess

Nobody makes pies, like they used to anymore.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 23:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Pies from a pie shop ! Cakes from a confectioner ! Chips from the chippy !
Can't ever remember my mum allowing this whilst she was around to make them for us. Used to long for the odd cream cake now and then from a confectioner, now I long for my mum's home baking ! (well, not so much these days .. too many calories)
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 23:52   #14
God Member

I'll tell ya a good pie shop at the moment, The one on Henry street church.
God her pie's are to die for, and I could eat her meat pie's til they come out my ears!!

Her Choccie eclaires are very very good too ( too good )

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2007, 00:41   #15
God Member

Wow i remember the one in ossy rindy top of cross st .. used to do a great steak pud with spuds peas and gravy and the fact you could take your own plate lol the bigger the plate the better and still got charged same price .. absolutely yummy..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..