Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2011, 19:47   #286
Senior Member+

Re: do you remember.....?

Do you remember Marys Music was sat outside it today in the car thinking what a dump it looks, me auntie doreen worked there for a long time.
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2011, 20:15   #287
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Do you remember Marys Music was sat outside it today in the car thinking what a dump it looks, me auntie doreen worked there for a long time.
Marys n Marshalls on same block,both great record shops.
Old 18-08-2011, 20:25   #288
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
in the 60s Paris (the Boss) used to go in at dinners from hambledon mill fer pie n cakes etc, if its the same one, was yer nan n attractive woman wi black hair back then? she can't remember the name but Mr @ Mrs Clark seems to ring a bell.
They were called Chaffer -my Nan always had beautiful thick dark hair as a young woman, so it could be them. They had 6 children but she was always very slender! I know a lot of the local work places had fixed orders with them for lunchtime...Just checked on a map and think it was the corner with Ramsbottom Street.

Last edited by mobertol; 18-08-2011 at 20:33. Reason: Extra info...
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 20:29   #289
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
They were called Chaffer -my Nan always had beautiful thick dark hair as a young woman, so it could be them. They had 6 children but she was always very slender! I know a lot of the local work places had fixed orders with them for lunchtime...
thats probably the one, was it next too or near the papershop? she thinks that was Ducketts, was yer nan european ? cos me lass said she was a beautiful european looking lady.
Old 18-08-2011, 20:48   #290
God Member

She was dark with dark eyes -don't know about european looking though -not dark skinned -my grandad was tall with thick wavy hair -he was called Wilf and my nan was Ethel. Afraid i don't remember a paper shop - i was little in the 60's -could ask my dad though!
Old 18-08-2011, 20:49   #291
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Who can forget Mary's music -bought my first record there in the mid-70's -David Essex on blue vinyl "Hold me Close" !! Thought he was really cute then...
Old 18-08-2011, 21:07   #292
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

To be fair Mary had a head start oer the other record shops in accy, after her n joe had run the best dance hall in accy.
Old 18-08-2011, 21:44   #293
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
To be fair Mary had a head start oer the other record shops in accy, after her n joe had run the best dance hall in accy.
...and there was a fair bit of competition back then - Bandbox opposite the Town Hall, the Golden Disc Bar on Broadway, Tony's on Blackburn Road and Marshall's. But Mary's was the best - I was always going in asking for the most obscure American records that no one had ever heard of and she always got 'em for me in days!
Old 18-08-2011, 21:48   #294
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...and there was a fair bit of competition back then - Bandbox opposite the Town Hall, the Golden Disc Bar on Broadway, Tony's on Blackburn Road and Marshall's. But Mary's was the best - I was always going in asking for the most obscure American records that no one had ever heard of and she always got 'em for me in days!
thats me point,mary knew the score which gave her a good advantage, in fact the other lass that was also on the ball,was on the same block "Marshalls" both shops lost the town centre wallahs.Mary also had the loyalty of many of the older record buyers which gave her a big edge.

Last edited by cashman; 18-08-2011 at 21:53.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:54   #295
God Member

Quote:
Who can forget Mary's music -bought my first record there in the mid-70's -David Essex on blue vinyl "Hold me Close" !! Thought he was really cute then...
My first record from Mary's was Duane Eddy's "Shazam" .... I'm still a fan, and one of my favorite tracks stolen from the internet in the good old free days is "Pipeline": Duane Eddy and Hank Marvin.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 07:43   #296
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You couldn't go wrong in those days Wyn, if they hadn't got the record or album you wanted they'd have it for you within days
Old 19-08-2011, 14:46   #297
God Member

Apparently a lot of these old records on vinyl can be worth a fortune - my son has friends who do DJ sets and they use them to create new music live....
Digital music is a wonderful thing but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as a record.
Old 19-08-2011, 15:08   #298
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Digital music is a wonderful thing but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as a record.
Hit the nail right on the head, have countless records on vinyl,was offered £200 fer one small box,back in the early 80s, the guy came in the boozer n slapped the dosh on the box, told him he had more chance of being struck by lightening.
Old 19-08-2011, 15:14   #299
Super Moderator

Quote:
Apparently a lot of these old records on vinyl can be worth a fortune - my son has friends who do DJ sets and they use them to create new music live....
Quite right, the EP (remember them?) shown in my signature is worth upto £100 these days. But like, Mr C, I'm not selling!
Old 19-08-2011, 17:49   #300
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Quite right, the EP (remember them?) shown in my signature is worth upto £100 these days. But like, Mr C, I'm not selling!
I have no singles or EPs now but still have quite a few albums

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..