Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2008, 18:11   #181
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: do you remember.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i was thinking more late 70s?
so ya was wrong too
Old 20-02-2008, 18:18   #182
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
When I started work at Ministry of Pensions and National Insurance, we were in an office in the building, over the shops, in the block next to the corner bank, looking straight down Broadway. I started there in 1959 - I think that the gardens were built on sometime between 1962 and when the office moved to Melbourne House in 1965.
theres photos of em somewhere, gardens where constructed 1952, in 58 plans were drawn up to allow the building of shops on em, that info is from me xmas present Accrington Old @New, photographic memories.theres also a photo in the book.
Old 20-02-2008, 18:19   #183
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
so ya was wrong too
still aint convinced.
Old 20-02-2008, 18:26   #184
Resting in Peace

Felt like I made an elderly gentleman's day today.

Daughter was in her surgery in Dewsbury with a 75 year old called Jeff. Seems he had lived in Accrington at one time, for quite some time. They had got chatting and told her that he used to do ballroom dancing here (bit of a champion I think) and couldn't remember the names of the ballrooms.

She rang me from her mobile, and I gave her as many as I could remember and the bands, and could hear him saying "Oh, yes", etc. Was lovely to to be able to bring back memories for him. Seems he taught Russian history whilst he was here.

Told my daughter to point him to our web .. hope he turns up.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 18:39   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
still aint convinced.
honestly it was the 80s before that it was a field and before that shops and houses
roundossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:20   #186
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundossy View Post
honestly it was the 80s before that it was a field and before that shops and houses
fair enough mate,musta been early 80s then, me memories not what it was, but hope it aint that far out.
Old 20-02-2008, 19:26   #187
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember it being a big grass hill before the shop was built, pity i cant find when it was built
Old 20-02-2008, 19:33   #188
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

was trying to look on the internet when it was built, cant find a dickie bird!
but something is confusing me.....it says co-op is 276 union rd ossy, but is says caspian is also 276 union rd ossy....summat wrong ere, or is co-op supposed to be 276A union rd?....
Old 21-02-2008, 09:17   #189
God Member

Not a local celebrity but who remembers Reginald Molehusband. I think quite a few of his relatives try to park on the Arndale car-park. Apparently the original film has been lost and a new one made with the actor (he's about 80 now) who made the first one, for which he was paid the princely sum of £10.

This is the story of Reginald Molehusband, married, two children, whose reverse parking was a public danger. People came from miles just to see it. Bets were laid on his performance. What he managed to miss at the back, he was sure to make up for at the front. Bus drivers and taxis changed their routes to avoid him. Until the day that Reginald Molehusband did it right. Not too close, far enough forward... come on Reginald... and reverse in slowly... come on.... and watching traffic... and park perfectly! Well done Reginald Molehusband, the safest parker in town.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:42   #190
God Member

BBC NEWS | Magazine | 'I was Reginald Molehusband'

If anyone has a copy of the original you can ask a lot for it!
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:57   #191
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
was trying to look on the internet when it was built, cant find a dickie bird!
but something is confusing me.....it says co-op is 276 union rd ossy, but is says caspian is also 276 union rd ossy....summat wrong ere, or is co-op supposed to be 276A union rd?....
dickie bird panther, used to be a cricket umpire, lives in Barnsley, so him ont telly watching Barnsley beat Liverpool
Old 23-02-2008, 15:22   #192
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There's quite a few photographs of by-gone shops on this site, if you've never seen it.

LIFE AND TIMES OF OSWALDTWISTLE

Neil, my mum does remember your mum's shop, now that I've shown her the photograph, but now wants to know when it opened, as she thinks it used to be a bric-a-brack shop, where she bought a water colour from with her first wage?

Mothers_Shop_1_.JPG :: thanks to Derek Mooney for this Photo Mothers Shop. My mother had a drapery shop at No.70 union road. (opposite the end of Queen Street) and this photo was taken 18th July 1964 when Union Road was flooded. Where the shop stood

Incidentally, the 18th of July 1964 was the day when we had terrible floods in east Lancashire. A friend of my grandpa's bakers shop was washed away at Rising Bridge, and that day my grandpa was taking my mum and dad to London, to get the boat train to Nice, and the roads were so bad they nearly missed it. Happily I was asleep in my mum's tummy at the time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:47   #193
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Neil, my mum does remember your mum's shop, now that I've shown her the photograph, but now wants to know when it opened, as she thinks it used to be a bric-a-brack shop, where she bought a water colour from with her first wage?

Mothers_Shop_1_.JPG :: thanks to Derek Mooney for this Photo Mothers Shop. My mother had a drapery shop at No.70 union road. (opposite the end of Queen Street) and this photo was taken 18th July 1964 when Union Road was flooded. Where the shop stood

Incidentally, the 18th of July 1964 was the day when we had terrible floods in east Lancashire. A friend of my grandpa's bakers shop was washed away at Rising Bridge, and that day my grandpa was taking my mum and dad to London, to get the boat train to Nice, and the roads were so bad they nearly missed it. Happily I was asleep in my mum's tummy at the time.
Remember that Saturday well, I have never seen it rain so hard since, it started at 11am and by 1pm it was a lovely sunny day, The area that is now the Foxhill nature reserve was under water, so was the land opposite the Nash Club
Old 25-02-2008, 12:40   #194

Quote:
many pubs also had "Hard Boiled Egg" Cream Cracker" eating contests
bet they had a few in for that Lol

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 13:09   #195
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Remember the gardens well, they used to have chains with spikes on between small stone pillars, and a car park at the back, I think the Arndale was built in the late fifties, but if I'm wrong I'm sure some one will piont it out
The Arndale shops were built 1959/61. At the time, the M&S was the first new Marks branch to be opened in the UK since the war. Does anybody remember those pale blue, modernistic-looking fountains that were constructed at each end of Broadway?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..