Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2008, 09:30   #136
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: do you remember.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think she changed cashy as I know the twins were, a few years after I worked for him I believe he left her and went off with a younger model. The last time I heard of him he was living in St Annes or somewhere like that
suspected so,seem to remember vaugley also that he croaked a few years back not 100% sure on that.
Old 14-02-2008, 09:56   #137

Quote:
I think she changed cashy as I know the twins were, a few years after I worked for him I believe he left her and went off with a younger model. The last time I heard of him he was living in St Annes or somewhere like that
If I recall - Mrs Lyndon was a "Briggs". Her parents lived next door but 2 to me on Manchester Road. For the life of me I can't remember the twins names but Anthony rings a bell. There were also two older siblings - Steven and Daryl who will be in there 40's now. I used to walk to school with Steven who always dressed somewhat rebelious. IE White short skinners and high leg docs and Bay City Roller scarfs !!!!
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 17:30   #138
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
If I recall - Mrs Lyndon was a "Briggs". Her parents lived next door but 2 to me on Manchester Road. For the life of me I can't remember the twins names but Anthony rings a bell. There were also two older siblings - Steven and Daryl who will be in there 40's now. I used to walk to school with Steven who always dressed somewhat rebelious. IE White short skinners and high leg docs and Bay City Roller scarfs !!!!
Quite right I think she was called Pat, Steven was from her first marrage to a lad Called Neville Escathe(I think that was his name, his first name was definitely Nev, I worked with him in the sixties), I'm no sure, but I think Ray adopted him, because his last name was Lyndon. The twins were called Anthony and Deryle or Daz as he liked to be called. Pat also had a sister who was landady of the Queens at one time, but when I worked at the store she was the manageress.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 17:33   #139
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
suspected so,seem to remember vaugley also that he croaked a few years back not 100% sure on that.
Can't remember him kicking it cashy, but I will make some enquiries and see if I can find out for sure
Old 14-02-2008, 18:17   #140
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Can't remember him kicking it cashy, but I will make some enquiries and see if I can find out for sure
fair enough,i'm happy to be wrong, n bet rays even happier.
Old 15-02-2008, 09:59   #141
Resting in Peace

Quote:
fair enough,i'm happy to be wrong, n bet rays even happier.
I've contacted one or two people and no one seems to know whether he is still here or not, but has they say no news is good news, so rays still happy
Old 15-02-2008, 17:04   #142
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid
Blimey Cashman, that,s a name from the past. I remember him up at the Plough doing his thing
Can't remember Wandering Walter at The Plough. I can remember Swinging Wilf though, Three Coins In A Fountain was a classic of his.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 17:34   #143
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Can't remember Wandering Walter at The Plough. I can remember Swinging Wilf though, Three Coins In A Fountain was a classic of his.
He also did a few gigs at the Stop and Rest Walter that is, as for Swing he was a real star, its just a pity Simon Cowel wasn't around in those days, the world would have been his oyster
Old 15-02-2008, 19:22   #144
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
jeez wilf was one i forgot,where are these stars now?
Old 16-02-2008, 09:25   #145
Resting in Peace

Quote:
jeez wilf was one i forgot,where are these stars now?
Wilf is long gone must be 15 years since, and I think walter is in that comedy lounge in the sky as well now cashy, I think I remember bing told he'd died about four years ago, but there again I'm not 100% sure
Old 16-02-2008, 17:29   #146
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Quite right I think she was called Pat, Steven was from her first marrage to a lad Called Neville Escathe
I wonder if that would be Neville Hesketh. He and his brother, Graham, lived in West End as children. He'd be around the age of 70 now.
Old 17-02-2008, 11:50   #147
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I wonder if that would be Neville Hesketh. He and his brother, Graham, lived in West End as children. He'd be around the age of 70 now.
Could well be West Ender and thats how my neville spelled his name is me who's a mupet at spelling, as for being 70 i'm not sure I knew he was older than me but I didn't think that much older. I'm 62 next birthday, but I'm sure he wasn't 8 years older, he use to mate out with George Gibson, and Travis Brierly who were both joiners as were both Neville and myself, I'll do a bit of digging and see what I come up with

Last edited by jaysay; 17-02-2008 at 11:52. Reason: error
Old 17-02-2008, 17:28   #148
Passed away 25-11-09

It may not be the same person, Jaysay, but it's not a common name. I know he was a bit older than me, I'm 65, but maybe he's not reached 70 yet. I didn't know him well, I think the family moved when I was quite young.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:35   #149
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the "Pie Eating Contests" they used to have in the Plough, would be mid 60s i reckon, had a crack n failed miserably.
Old 17-02-2008, 23:43   #150
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

many pubs also had "Hard Boiled Egg" Cream Cracker" eating contests, also the "Yard Of Ale", the black bull also had the "Boot" which was 4 1/2 pints,all these are long gone,mores the pity.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..