Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2008, 18:51   #61
God Member

Re: do you remember.....?

Accy Grammar building was a bit 'tecnical' in 1982 because my son did one year of a photography course there (before he eventually made up his mind what he wanted to do )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2008, 19:16   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
im sure accy grammer school became the tech after grammer school were abolished as such we became comprehensive didnt we in the early sixties
I failed my 11 plus in 1972 and so I couldn't go to the Grammar school. It became Moorhead the year after I think.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:19   #63
Resident Waffler

I remember there being some obscure brand of supermarket where Argos is now but I can't think what the heck it was called.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:23   #64
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

oh god it was just in my head then
parker franks?....nooo
Old 20-01-2008, 20:52   #65
Super Moderator

Accy Grammar and Accy Tech were two completely different places. Accy Tech, where Cashy went, was on Union Road, opposite the Palladium. It was still there last time I went past but I don't know what it's used for. Accy Grammar (which is the pic shown on the site that Panther found) was on Blackburn Road. The Grammar School left that building in 1968 and moved into some horrible concrete monstrosity on Queens Road West (which someone told me has been demolished), before going comprehensive a few years later. After the Grammar School vacated the Blackburn Road building, it was used as a sort of annexe for Accy College. My missus learned English and typing there when she came to this country in the mid-80's.
Old 20-01-2008, 20:58   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Accy Grammar and Accy Tech were two completely different places. Accy Tech, where Cashy went, was on Union Road, opposite the Palladium. It was still there last time I went past but I don't know what it's used for.
It is now called Oswaldtwistle School.

It is a school for children who, for whatever reason, have been excluded from other schools.
Old 20-01-2008, 22:43   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my son did his B.Tech at accy grammer school before going to uni,that would 89/90 ish.
Old 21-01-2008, 21:17   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Accy Grammar and Accy Tech were two completely different places. Accy Tech, where Cashy went, was on Union Road, opposite the Palladium. It was still there last time I went past but I don't know what it's used for. Accy Grammar (which is the pic shown on the site that Panther found) was on Blackburn Road. The Grammar School left that building in 1968 and moved into some horrible concrete monstrosity on Queens Road West (which someone told me has been demolished), before going comprehensive a few years later. After the Grammar School vacated the Blackburn Road building, it was used as a sort of annexe for Accy College. My missus learned English and typing there when she came to this country in the mid-80's.
The concrete monstrosity has indeed been demolished. I had a meeting at the new Moorhead last year. It was very modern and quite smart. Not to sure if the architechture will stand the test of time though.
Also I didn't realise the post was discussing "The Old Grammar School", my mates dad taught cookery there.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 23:52   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It is now called Oswaldtwistle School.

It is a school for children who, for whatever reason, have been excluded from other schools.
Correct Lilly, my daughter did do a little teaching there for a while, which she enjoyed very much .. not all lost souls.

MTB .. no wonder you failed yer 11+ with women like your bottom avatar in your mind (just jealous like) ....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 19:55   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I remember there being some obscure brand of supermarket where Argos is now but I can't think what the heck it was called.
Wasn't it Winfields? A forerunner of catalogue/Argos type shops.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 09:44   #71
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I sometimes wish that cafe was still open nr the bus station...bloody good bacon butties they had there.
why did they have to get rid, and put a fag stall there?
Old 24-01-2008, 21:41   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I sometimes wish that cafe was still open nr the bus station...bloody good bacon butties they had there.
why did they have to get rid, and put a fag stall there?
that would be the "Copper Kettle" panther, next to Accys most infamous meeting place of the 60s The No1 Stall.
Old 25-01-2008, 08:46   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
that would be the "Copper Kettle" panther, next to Accys most infamous meeting place of the 60s The No1 Stall.
ah the copper kettle, we used to have a warm vimto in there on cold mornings,

the cinema where the jjb shop is now, didnt it play cartoons free for kids on a sat morning, i remember going a few times
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 09:06   #74
God Member

my mum used to say to me when i was ickler 'if i ever catch you in that cafe i'll kill you, its a right dive' lol
Old 25-01-2008, 10:56   #75
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I think it was that!
but wouldnt know about the infamous meeting place of the 60's.....lol, i wasnt born yet, i'm talkking about the one next to the smelly loo's, yeh it could be that one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..