Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 18:36   #496
Full Member+

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Halfheads by Stuart mcbride
Read all McBride's books to date. Gritty stuff laced with suffient humour to captive the reader - particularly the antics of the lesbian DI who gives Logan the runaround whilst at the same time protecting his interests. Not for the prudes.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2011, 18:42   #497
Full Member+

Just finished Tess Gerritson's 'Gravity' a brilliant techno thriller with enough twists and turns within the plot to hold you spellbound right up to the last page. Also 'Harvest' by the same author centred around the illegal harvesting of organs for transplanting into paying patients. Again a brilliantly contrived plot from start to finish. Can't praise Gerritson's stylish prose enough and have just started to read her 'Bone Garden' which again grabs you from the opening paragraph.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18   #498
God Member

Order of Battle: The Red Army in World War ll. David Porter.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23   #499
Common Sense Member

Alan Sugar: What You See Is What You Get

Easily the best autobiography I have ever read and I've gone through hundreds. I've never watched The Apprentice as it doesn't appeal to me and from what I've seen of Lord Sugar on television I can't say that I'd be that impressed even now but the book is written in a very frank way and a cracking read. Highly recommended.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:28   #500

Would you believe this, but I'm actually reading - for at least the tenth time,- " Great Expectations" by Dickens.
Don't know why, but when I was at school, we HAD to read it, then it became a personal choice, but now every time I read it, I find something, perhaps a word or a sentence that I hadn't considered before. I love it. Makes me feel optimistic!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:14   #501
Resting in Peace

At the moment i am reading "The Battle of the Somme" on me Sony e-reader bought from waterstones website the book not the Reader cost £2

Last edited by Mick; 19-04-2011 at 07:16.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 18:22   #502

At the moment reading a load of Practical Mechanics, from the early fifties till about 62.
Facinating reading, and would give the health and safety and pc brigade appoplexy.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 19:34   #503
God Member

"Child 44": Tom Rob Smith. A fascinating look at the Soviet Union around the time of the death of Stalin. Already bought the sort of sequel: "The Secret Speech."
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:47   #504
Common Sense Member

I Am What I Am by John Barrowman

The second autobiography from Barrowman and, as is to be expected from such a comparatively young man, it is thinner on content than the preceding Anything Goes. It probably won't appeal to anyone who has little interest in television production and the incessant innuendo-laden footnotes grate after a very short while but I picked this up for £2 from The Works and can't grumble at that.

Old 15-07-2011, 09:52   #505
Common Sense Member

Love Songs For The Shy & Cynical by Rob Shearman

A collection of short fantasy love stories from the notable writer although I was left with the nagging feeling that several of them started out as good ideas in his head and then he had absolutely no idea how to finish them off because a few of the endings are very unsatisfying.

The stories themselves range from the intriguing to the downright bizarre (although not being a fantasy reader I suppose that needs some leap of understanding on my part) but the hidden story discovered by accident on the reverse of the dustjacket was a nice touch.

Old 15-07-2011, 10:08   #506
God Member

Just finished reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography, well worth a read, had me in stitches for the whole book, if anyone wants to borrow the book just give me a shout

also just read Paul O'Grady's second autobiography, it is funny but nowhere near as good as his first, i have both his books so again if anyone wants to borrow them, give me a shout
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:01   #507
Beacon of light

I am reading The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger not the easiest of reads, and I have all but given it up a couple of times....but I am intrigued by the fact that it was in the best sellers list for ages.
The story is a bit surreal(maybe metaphysical would be a better description) is hard to follow because it seems to jump backwards and forwards. I sometimes think that I am perhaps getting too old to waste time(if any reading can be called a waste of time?)reading something that isn't enjoyable.......and yet I can't just leave it!

I had the same trouble with Sophies World by Jostein Gaardner........I persevered with it, and can't really say I enjoyed it....but I have kept it because I might just have another go at reading it again....see if a second read makes it make more sense.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:47   #508
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Just finished reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography, well worth a read, had me in stitches for the whole book, if anyone wants to borrow the book just give me a shout

also just read Paul O'Grady's second autobiography, it is funny but nowhere near as good as his first, i have both his books so again if anyone wants to borrow them, give me a shout
Agree about Paul O'Grady's book not being as laugh out loud as his first.

Looking forward to the next one, as that's when I knew him. When Lily really took off on the pub scene.

Hopefully he won't menton a dodgy club over MacDonald's in Balham, when he went for a tinkle, and a big skinhead asked him to pee in his welly!

Or the time he came to our party in Streatham, and...

Whoops.

Don't want to spoil it.

Just about to read Amistead Maupin's new Tales of the City book, which I've saved until now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:48   #509
Beacon of light

Glad you have read it at last G...was it worth the wait?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:51   #510
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Glad you have read it at last G...was it worth the wait?
No, going to.

It's packed in my suitcase.

To be read whilst I'm basted with lard.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..