Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 15:35   #61
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

As I said earlier, homework for my kids is usually done at the childminders, leaving our limited 'family' time for play, games, cooking, cleaning, ironing, my 'homework', and accyweb, in that order.
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2008, 15:37   #62
Senior Member+

homework is to bridge the gap between home and school. too many parents see them as 2 different things and take no interest in what the childen are doing. This leaves the children thinking that its unimportant and these children are very hard to teach..

In a education setting there sometimes up to 30 children to 2 educators, some children may get missed out, usually the quiet ones and homework means that sometimes the parents can spot these problems and point them out to the teacher. A parent is the child first educator and it is important for the child to carry on this relationship.

Partnership with parents is very popular at the moment in educatiion settings and this means involving the parents in their child education as much as possible. this ensures the child can see the importance of school and also helps them to feel more comfortable in the setting, knowing that thei parents are happy with it.

Homework also allows the child to 'show off' to their parents what they can do and they SHOULD get much more praise for it than they would in a busy classroom. I enjoy the one to one time i get with my son when he is doing his homework, in our very very busy lives it is sometimes difficult to find time to sit down with one child and give them the attention that they need, not always because we are busy, they have things to do as well. apart from doing their homework you also get chance to chat with them about things that are bothering them, things that have happened.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 15:39   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
i would never send them they would wont to go and change there life style
Most children who have had an interest from their parents don't need to be sent, they go willingly. University is the best place in the world

I can't believe that you think you don't need to engage your child in education at home. Did you let your child go to school without being able to speak or know colours etc? Why does it stop being your job just because they reach a certain age?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 15:39   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just a thought,when mine were young we both used to help with homework etc,but were struggling with certain things, i was very good with maths at school, but found their homework was alien to what i had learnt, possibly the fact of decimalisation who knows, but basically we did not have a clue.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:40   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
As I said earlier, homework for my kids is usually done at the childminders, leaving our limited 'family' time for play, games, cooking, cleaning, ironing, my 'homework', and accyweb, in that order.
So your child minder has a more active role about the most important part of your childrens lives than you do. Does that not make you sad?
Old 23-03-2008, 15:41   #66
Senior Member+

I have to say... i have given my 'professional' opinion. But as a parent i can aso see that its a pain in the ass sometimes. especially when the child doesnt want to do it.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 23-03-2008, 15:41   #67
God Member

Best explanation of what everybody else was trying to say emma, good on you! And though I agree in priciple, in practice it isn't quite that easy with 4 youngsters and 2 working parents.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:44   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just a thought,when mine were young we both used to help with homework etc,but were struggling with certain things, i was very good with maths at school, but found their homework was alien to what i had learnt, possibly the fact of decimalisation who knows, but basically we did not have a clue.

These days, if parents do not feel that they have the knowledge to help with homework, they can brush up their Maths and English skills on various free courses that are currently available. I understand that some parents may be reluctant to try to help if they are not very good at Maths and English themselves but there isn't an excuse for not getting yourself signed up for one of these courses if that's the case.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:45   #69
God Member

And to add to that, I just thought of a lovely scenario of what is wrong with someone else doing that for you.

Imagine you send your young toddler to the child minders, not such a strong speaker yet because daddy cant be bothered, and she thinks it'd be nice to teach your chil the word 'Mummy' with a picture book. Woah and behold, the child associates the lady holding baby as the child minder and thinks SHE'S mummy.

Then comes the confusion and upset when they're having to be taught NOT to do that, when initially saying the word was praised.

Pretty extreme but some youngsters have to spend more time with their child minders than their parents. When you end up with a 14yr old who goes off the rails because they have a poor relationship with you because they think theyre a burden when they ask for help with school, you'll know why.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:47   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
These days, if parents do not feel that they have the knowledge to help with homework, they can brush up their Maths and English skills on various free courses that are currently available. I understand that some parents may be reluctant to try to help if they are not very good at Maths and English themselves but there isn't an excuse for not getting yourself signed up for one of these courses if that's the case.
not knocking yer suggestion,lilly can see difficulties for people that work unsociable hours n theirs quite a few of those.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:49   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
And to add to that, I just thought of a lovely scenario of what is wrong with someone else doing that for you.

Imagine you send your young toddler to the child minders, not such a strong speaker yet because daddy cant be bothered, and she thinks it'd be nice to teach your chil the word 'Mummy' with a picture book. Woah and behold, the child associates the lady holding baby as the child minder and thinks SHE'S mummy.

Then comes the confusion and upset when they're having to be taught NOT to do that, when initially saying the word was praised.

Pretty extreme but some youngsters have to spend more time with their child minders than their parents. When you end up with a 14yr old who goes off the rails because they have a poor relationship with you because they think theyre a burden when they ask for help with school, you'll know why.

Seems to me you get confused very easily with parents who can't be bothered and parents who try their best to balance their childrens lives with a mixture of family time and going out to work to actually finance the upbringing of their child.

Seems to me there is no win with you, if parents are on benefits you critiscise and if parents work you critiscise. Troll
Old 23-03-2008, 15:50   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
So your child minder has a more active role about the most important part of your childrens lives than you do. Does that not make you sad?
Yes it does, what would make me sadder is the prospect that, should any of them turn out clever enough to go to uni, that I may not be able to afford it, it is a balance, and is at present the best arrangement for all concerned, and is of course much better than just not being done at all.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:52   #73

i feel at times to much pressure is put on young minds yes you educate your children in hundredes of ways but putting constent pressure on any person is not healthey over six hours schooling is more than enough making children come home and learn 20 spellings for yet another test is more presure
Old 23-03-2008, 15:53   #74
Senior Member+

I'm sorry, but you can see the difference in the children whose parents sit and do their homework with them and the ones whose dont. I use to listen to th children reading their reading books and too many times you could tell that the child hadnt read at home. there were children that had been there 6 months and there was not one parental comment in the book. thats sad. If the parent is uninterested in what the child does for most of its time (33 hours a week.) then what does that teach the child? If mum or dad are not intereseted in their homework, why should they be? If mum or dad wont listen to them read then its not important is it? so why should they bother?

I have tried really hard to keep out of this argument!

Old 23-03-2008, 15:54   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not knocking yer suggestion,lilly can see difficulties for people that work unsociable hours n theirs quite a few of those.
I think they run in the evenings aswell as during the day time so most people should be ok.

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..