Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 08:43   #46
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
There are divisions on this, and they are obvious, some people either dont work, or work part time/short hours, others have a longer working day, we leave at 7am, me to work, my partner and the kids to the child minders (who does help with homework), my partner usually finishes work between 5 and 5.30, I finish when work runs out, (dependent on public demand), first home (usually 6 ish) starts the evening meal, then the cleaning up, clothes for next day, baths etc, we could help out with homework at about 8pm I suppose, but as we try to get the children to sleep by this time (due to rising at 6), it would be difficult, so, do we show our kids that it is good to have a disciplined routine, to work hard and keep off benefits, or stay home and help with homework? We dont physically have time to do homework at home.
I assume you have time to speak to your child though and ask whether they are happy? Does homework not come into the general first conversation of the day you have with your child once you finish work?

From what I remember as a child, my mums first questions were always, have I had a nice day and do I have any homework to do. Two most important questions to ask in my opinion, can't even think of anything else that was important other than have I eaten well.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2008, 08:59   #47
God Member

[quote=blazey;550469]I assume you have time to speak to your child though and ask whether they are happy? Does homework not come into the general first conversation of the day you have with your child once you finish work?

Yes of course, we have general chatter about thier day, and simple decision making on everyday stuff, which type of skirt to wear tomorrow, (them not me or our boy), and what the next days evening meal should be, this is just general organisational/decision making stuff, and imo is as important as the 'paper' homework that I was referring to from school.
Old 23-03-2008, 09:45   #48
God Member

Quote:
There are divisions on this, and they are obvious,
Of course there are. If children came with instruction manuals and parenting was as easy as some make out then there would be no divisions and we would all be the same. Now stop working so hard and trying to give your kids a good standard of living and conform to the rules as they are written in black and white
Old 23-03-2008, 09:48   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Of course there are. If children came with instruction manuals and parenting was as easy as some make out then there would be no divisions and we would all be the same. Now stop working so hard and trying to give your kids a good standard of living and conform to the rules as they are written in black and white
yes sir, please sir! may I go to the toilet?
Old 23-03-2008, 14:48   #50
God Member

[quote=derekgas;550470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I assume you have time to speak to your child though and ask whether they are happy? Does homework not come into the general first conversation of the day you have with your child once you finish work?

Yes of course, we have general chatter about thier day, and simple decision making on everyday stuff, which type of skirt to wear tomorrow, (them not me or our boy), and what the next days evening meal should be, this is just general organisational/decision making stuff, and imo is as important as the 'paper' homework that I was referring to from school.
I guess everyone can't make time for their childrens education. God forbid we take a break from accyweb to guide the next generation. They can just go on the dole after all if it doesn't work out alright, or let them also slave away for hours on end just to make ends meet.

If we could get through life just discussing whats for tea that evening, what to wear etc, that would be absolutely wonderful, but unfortunately in this day and age a well disciplined child with a top notch education is going to get further in life than the one who's parents didn't have time for them. Most 'standard' jobs, i.e. the ones that you only need GCSE's for, wont get you enough money to get on the property ladder, because you can't afford the 10% (minimum) deposit.

It is NEVER too early to encourage your children to take an active interest in school whilst at home. Because it's that interest for learning that will make the difference when they're 16/18.
Old 23-03-2008, 14:57   #51
God Member

Interesting and no doubt genuine idea, you will have a better understanding of what I am saying, when you have children of your own.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:15   #52
God Member

Quote:
Interesting and no doubt genuine idea, you will have a better understanding of what I am saying, when you have children of your own.
Well I have very young brother and sister who I take an interest in. My brother gets taken to the library regularly and I check my sisters homework when I'm home.

Am I going to get to 30 and still have the 'you wouldnt know, you don't have kids' theory?

Many teachers are in their 20's these days and don't have kids either, but they'll still nag you to help your child with their homework.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:19   #53

work should be left at work schooling should be left at school any other time should be family time
Old 23-03-2008, 15:22   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
work should be left at work schooling should be left at school any other time should be family time
In that case then, never send kids to university, because they wont be able to apply that mentality there.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
In that case then, never send kids to university, because they wont be able to apply that mentality there.
i would never send them they would wont to go and change there life style
Old 23-03-2008, 15:27   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Meanwhile, in the real world...............
Old 23-03-2008, 15:28   #57
God Member

Quote:

Do you mean you can't be fagged to do homework with your kids?
Old 23-03-2008, 15:29   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ahhhh.... there's the old chestnut. I was wondering where that had got to.

You might as well give up Blazey. Don't you understand that the only way that you can ever gain knowledge of anything is through experiencing it?
That's why I don't believe anything Stephen Hawking writes, as he's never been in a black hole.
Old 23-03-2008, 15:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Do you mean you can't be fagged to do homework with your kids?
not at all i spend and have spent more time with my children after school doing home work than most people doesnt meen i agree with it
Old 23-03-2008, 15:33   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think when they are at primary school, helping them through their small amount of homework is family time. Take reading .. you would normally buy them books and read to them wouldn't you ? Helping them with the words, etc. You are educating your children all the time whether it's how to plant a hyacinth bulb in a pot or showing your lad how to change a plug.

You teach them to count and learn the colours at a very early age .. all education So not too sure exactly what you mean by family time davo69.

Ok .. when they get to secondary school, can be a little difficult, because you have forgotten half of the things they are given. Just as long as you can give them a decent space and ask to see their homework book and then enquire if it is done .. maybe just ask to see it/what marks they got for last's weeks homework, that's all that may be required.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..