Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2008, 13:52   #61
God Member

Re: Yate's Wine Lodge Blackburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzer View Post
Used to go in the Merchants late 60s/early 70s. I remember Ken Pilling. If I recall he later took another pub on the boulevard.
Ken had the Wheatsheaf on Mincing Lane for a while and then The Adelphi on the boulevard.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2008, 14:00   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Ken had the Wheatsheaf on Mincing Lane for a while and then The Adelphi on the boulevard.
Ya Roy, but he made his name in the Merchants in the early seventies, I actually got to know Ken quite well whilst I worked at the Cav, he used to come in after the pub had closed, was one of the fittest blokes going in those days, would think nothing about vaulting the bar if there was any bother in his pub, and banging heads together, a very ard man was our Ken
Old 20-09-2008, 14:22   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Roy, but he made his name in the Merchants in the early seventies, I actually got to know Ken quite well whilst I worked at the Cav, he used to come in after the pub had closed, was one of the fittest blokes going in those days, would think nothing about vaulting the bar if there was any bother in his pub, and banging heads together, a very ard man was our Ken
ex army PTI, or so the legend went.
Old 27-09-2008, 02:18   #64

If you get on to the Cotton town website and type in Astley Gate the photos are fantastic, take you back there. let us know what you think.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 09:20   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ex army PTI, or so the legend went.
He was cashy, he might have batted for the other side, but I certainly wouldn't have crossed him, he was one hard man believe me
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48   #66

I have just been talking to a local historian who tells me that Yates's Wine Lodge was originally on Lord St, the exact location being somewhere near the car park ramp next to Debenhams. Apparently it was previously called the Britannia Inn
There is certainly a Britannia Inn listed for 1893 at 33 and 35 Lord St.
He also said that that latter on Yates opened an eating house on Northgate though this has since been demolished.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thanks fer that polly, interesting.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38   #68

If you go to cotton town page and type in Lord St, theres a photo of the old Grovsner pub, with the Arcade next door.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
If you go to cotton town page and type in Lord St, theres a photo of the old Grovsner pub, with the Arcade next door.
There's a server error at the moment Alan for this site, can't get on it ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:56   #70

Its a great site for old photos Kate, just type in any street in Blackburn Centre and see what comes up. When its back on line.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Its a great site for old photos Kate, just type in any street in Blackburn Centre and see what comes up. When its back on line.

Will do ... not that I frequented of these pubs in my youth Alan ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 23:49   #72

need to contact any regulars of the wheatsheaf when ken was landlord .i have lost the address of stephen cahill and david. they moved to manchester and then to london. i get christmas cards every year and hate not being able to reply. please please please help if you can kath
kvarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:29   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I have just been talking to a local historian who tells me that Yates's Wine Lodge was originally on Lord St, the exact location being somewhere near the car park ramp next to Debenhams. Apparently it was previously called the Britannia Inn
There is certainly a Britannia Inn listed for 1893 at 33 and 35 Lord St.
He also said that that latter on Yates opened an eating house on Northgate though this has since been demolished.
I'm a little late joining this topic (only a couple of years late). You're right, the old Yates was towards the top of Lord Street. It was sort of opposite Johnny Forbes (sportswear) shop. It was a little lower down than where the ramp is now. It was more where Debenhams windows are. The Grosvenor was lower down, closer to Victoria Street (as you say). There was also the (old) Clarence on Lord Street, on the opposite side to the Grosvenor. When they demolished those properties on that side of the street to build one of the phases of the shopping precinct, they then put the (new) Clarence in there. It had the balcony that overlooked Lord Square.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 18:34   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was just a couple of doors below the "Sun" on the same street/road, defo, was well trashed in those days, but remember going in when i was ejected from the "Sun" one night, n ya had to be real classy to get chucked out of there.
You're thinking of Sames's Vault, it is still there below The Sun, but now has another name Arena Sports Bar.
Old 03-02-2011, 18:50   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
The only pub listed, that might be relevant, on my 1893 list for Lord St is Britania Inn, 33 and 35 Lord St
I wonder if this later became the Yates Wine Lodge. What year are we talking?
They were the same pub Polly. I have an old directory from 1894 (just a year after the Old Inns list) and it is listed in there as Yates Bros 33/35 Lord Street.
Blackburn also had a Britannia Inn on the bottom end of Penny Street, which disappeared in the early 1900's (that's also listed in the Old Inns book).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..