Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 19:13   #76

Re: Yate's Wine Lodge Blackburn

If any of you folks are interested, a few of us have spent the last 18 months or so trying to get a photo of every Blackburn pub there ever was. Just go onto Facebook and search for a group called ''Blackburn Pubs (Past & Present)'' We've done pretty well so far, but there's still the elusive 100 or so that we haven't got (the old Wine Lodge on Lord Street being one of those).

If you have any photos of the old Wine Lodge, we would love to include it

We have all the others you mention, Grosvenor, Sun, Swan, Clarence, Queens, Dun Horse, Castle, Old Bank, Merchants, Legs 'O Man, Wheatsheaf, Ribblesdale, George & Dragon.

Also have a look at my site sometime BLACKBURN PAST I have a few pubs and pub related photos on there. Have a look under 'Miscellaneous' too, as there's a couple of slide shows I put together and there's a few of the old pubs crop up on those.
blackburnlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2011, 20:27   #77

Thanks for that, I keep having a look at

Lost Pubs In Blackburn, Lancashire
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 20:32   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburnlad View Post
You're thinking of Sames's Vault, it is still there below The Sun, but now has another name Arena Sports Bar.
Ahh yer right mate, was never very sober in those days.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:24   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks for that, I keep having a look at

Lost Pubs In Blackburn, Lancashire
That's a different one Wadey. We have migrated some of the images off the Facebook group onto there, but there some we haven't, as that only lists the Blackburn pubs that have closed. we have a lot of photos (old and new) of pubs that are still open, though admittedly, they're getting fewer by the month.

This link should take to you too the Facebook group (hopefully)
Blackburn & District Pubs (Past & Present) | Facebook

There's lots of discussions below many of the photos, you don't get that on the Lost Pubs project.

Cheers

Colin
Old 04-02-2011, 08:36   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ahh yer right mate, was never very sober in those days.
If you stop my little slide show on 1.53 there's a shot of Lord Street (viewed from Northgate). On the left is Johnny Forbes outfitters and on the right, but sadly not in shot, was Yates. Johnny Forbes in later times became the Job Centre (not sure what it is now) and as a few of you have mentioned, the car park ramp and Debenham's windows are now sort of where Yates was.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:43   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

cheers mate great footage, brought back memories, particularly the "Ribblesdale" which me owd mate "Leo" had back then.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:53   #82
Resting in Peace

Quote:
cheers mate great footage, brought back memories, particularly the "Ribblesdale" which me owd mate "Leo" had back then.
I used to call in the Ribblesdale for a pint before popping of to work at the Cav
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54   #83

Quote:

I remember the name Leo from the Rib, but can't picture him. We only used to go in at the weekends though. The George & Dragon is also in the same photo you mention of the Ribblesdale (it's now the loading bay area for M & S)

I saw an article in the Telegraph the other night about the Queens in Accy being turned into a doctors surgery. Nice job by the look of it. The ex pubs in Blackburn have either been left to rot or turned into private houses. Can't say I ever went in the Queens but it looked a grand building.

If you follow my Youtube link, it should take you to another similar slide show I made. Or just type in Blackburn Easter 1963 (In My Life by The Beatles)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

cheers will do, can remember a funny story about those 2 pubs, was 1970 n we had been watching England get knocked out of world cup, a mate who had tears streaming down his face,got up left the ribb, n went across the road to the George @ Dragon, apparently he went straight up to the piano @ pulled the strings out of it, cos it was German.
Old 04-02-2011, 16:36   #85
Senior Member+

Quote:
cheers will do, can remember a funny story about those 2 pubs, was 1970 n we had been watching England get knocked out of world cup, a mate who had tears streaming down his face,got up left the ribb, n went across the road to the George @ Dragon, apparently he went straight up to the piano @ pulled the strings out of it, cos it was German.
Cashy, seem to remember that one of the pubs opposite the Wine Lodge had a piano raised up on a wall?
Sure I saw that on a pub crawl as the Tech Xmas holidays started one year - think I got the bus home to Church
Old 04-02-2011, 18:14   #86
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Cashy, seem to remember that one of the pubs opposite the Wine Lodge had a piano raised up on a wall?
Sure I saw that on a pub crawl as the Tech Xmas holidays started one year - think I got the bus home to Church
Think that was Samses Vaults Barrie, there was a raised piano so you weren't that blotto mate
Old 05-02-2011, 03:55   #87
God Member

Quote:
Wow , Cashy , thats a name from the past , his wife's name was Peg / Peggy (a Geordie), Leo was ex Blackburn Police. another ex Little Harwooder , same generation as Jack Walker and Fred Skinner and mi Dad , used to 'play-out' with his kids (2 boys) when I was a tyke 5 or 6 yrs old
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:20   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Wow , Cashy , thats a name from the past , his wife's name was Peg / Peggy (a Geordie), Leo was ex Blackburn Police. another ex Little Harwooder , same generation as Jack Walker and Fred Skinner and mi Dad , used to 'play-out' with his kids (2 boys) when I was a tyke 5 or 6 yrs old
me memories not what it was mate, but can always remember Leo, he was a top geezer, one of the best landlords i ever came across,bit strict but 100% fair,great sense of humour.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45   #89
Resting in Peace

Re: Yates Wine Lodge Blackburn

Quote:
me memories not what it was mate, but can always remember Leo, he was a top geezer, one of the best landlords i ever came across,bit strict but 100% fair,great sense of humour.
By that I take it he never bared ya then cashy
Old 05-02-2011, 09:02   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Re: Yates Wine Lodge Blackburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
By that I take it he never bared ya then cashy
nope was never barred, but once got a "Public Warning"

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..