Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2008, 08:57   #16
Resting In Peace

Re: Yate's Wine Lodge Blackburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was just a couple of doors below the "Sun" on the same street/road, defo, was well trashed in those days, but remember going in when i was ejected from the "Sun" one night, n ya had to be real classy to get chucked out of there.
I'm sure it was up/down a side street somewhere near the Sun and Swan. It used to be our first stop when we went to Blackburn Cashy for a dock of Aussie White.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2008, 09:58   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
i'm useless with streets, but i sure as hell know where yates was.
I'm like you cashy, used to meet there before going to work at the Cav, a couple of docs of Aussie White put you in good stead for the night
Old 18-09-2008, 10:32   #18

Church St, just down fron the Swan...
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 10:46   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
Church St, just down fron the Swan...
good man, bin saying that fer hours. just street name i didn't know
Old 18-09-2008, 12:12   #20
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Forceten , you were right Lord st ..This Is Lancashire - Mystery of old Yates's Wine Lodge
This does say Lord Street. I am pretty sure it wasn't actually on Church Street but on a side street off Church Street, somewhere round the Sun and Swan
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 15:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
This does say Lord Street. I am pretty sure it wasn't actually on Church Street but on a side street off Church Street, somewhere round the Sun and Swan

The original was on Lord Street. It was the original you were asking about wasn't it Jeff?

It moved to Church street, on the corner later.
Old 18-09-2008, 16:04   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I remember a shopping arcade Victorian style where my mum once bought me a hat. It was near a large cobbled open market area where my uncle had a stall selling army surplus stuff.
It is difficult to think where on the map it was -somewhere under the now demolished Arndale is the best I can do.
Although not quite old enough to remember it I believe the old Victorian arcade was on the site of the now Mall with its entrance somewhere near where the delivery area is now sited on Church St

Edit: Cottontown.org has some old pictures of the entrance to Thwaites Arcade and looks to be more or less where I said - just opposite the Pavilion Buildings

Last edited by polly; 18-09-2008 at 16:12.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 16:22   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
The original was on Lord Street. It was the original you were asking about wasn't it Jeff?

It moved to Church street, on the corner later.
i cannot fer the life of me ever believe it was on Lord St. i reckon whoever made that web link used duff info.
Old 18-09-2008, 16:26   #24

I am sure Bob Dobson did a book on Old Pubs of Blackburn. I bet he would know
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 16:36   #25
Resting in Peace

I only know one thing it wasn't that far from Lords Square, I mean a couple of minutes walk max
Old 18-09-2008, 19:23   #26
God Member

Cashy , I thinking your getting Yates wine lodge mixed up with 'Soames' /'Sames' vault
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 19:36   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Cashy , I thinking your getting Yates wine lodge mixed up with 'Soames' /'Sames' vault
now that just could be mate, was a very confusing era.
Old 18-09-2008, 21:50   #28
God Member

Quote:
You are right...Sames' Vaults was the small beer house two or three doors down from the Sun on 'Higher Church Street'.
I was wrong about the TSB being on Lord Street....the TSB is on Lord Street West. Lord Street and Lord Street West are separated by the entrance to Northgate.
The TSB was the old Trustee savings Bank.
Haworth and Nutall and the Old Nalgo Club are also on Lord Street West.
There is no reference to Lord Street in either the 1901 or 1891 census but there is reference to Lord Street West.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 21:53   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
You are right...Sames' Vaults was the small beer house two or three doors down from the Sun on 'Higher Church Street'.
I was wrong about the TSB being on Lord Street....the TSB is on Lord Street West. Lord Street and Lord Street West are separated by the entrance to Northgate.
The TSB was the old Trustee savings Bank.
Haworth and Nutall and the Old Nalgo Club are also on Lord Street West.
There is no reference to Lord Street in either the 1901 or 1891 census but there is reference to Lord Street West.
thats my trouble was too rat arsed to remember streets lol, i still know where yates was but buggered if i know the street.
Old 18-09-2008, 21:56   #30
God Member

Quote:
thats my trouble was too rat arsed to remember streets lol, i still know where yates was but buggered if i know the street.
OK Draw me a map.....come out of the Sun or the Swan, Dunne Horse, or Old Bank and go on from there?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..