Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted
Donate! Join Today

Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted If you've got owt to sell stick it in 'ere.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Retlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2013, 11:02   #1

Wanted Old Photographs

I am looking for any old photographs, It don't matter what subject or condition they are in (can be faded or torn) although any local sporting pics or general local pics would be appreciated.

If you can help, please can you email me [email protected]
Old 23-08-2013, 17:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Wanted Old Photographs

Hello, could I politely ask why you are after old photographs. My Museum group are also after photos of the area, to use as exhibits and to hopefully, have a book printed, which would raise well needed money for our Musueum group.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 19:50   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hello, could I politely ask why you are after old photographs. My Museum group are also after photos of the area, to use as exhibits and to hopefully, have a book printed, which would raise well needed money for our Musueum group.
Same here Atarah,
I've been waiting for some one to respond, I've 100's of pictures, mostly military, which has taken me years to collect, then along comes a clever burgger who thinks he should be handed every thing on a plate without any explanation.
Well he can do like we had to do, its called research.
It takes a bit longer than a quick cheeky post, but more satisfying in the end, especially when its been elluding you for ages.
Gremlin and maxthecollie like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 20:57   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Seems like all thinking on same lines. Or n explanation woulda been given?
Old 29-08-2013, 15:45   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Same here Atarah,
I've been waiting for some one to respond, I've 100's of pictures, mostly military, which has taken me years to collect, then along comes a clever burgger who thinks he should be handed every thing on a plate without any explanation.
Well he can do like we had to do, its called research.
It takes a bit longer than a quick cheeky post, but more satisfying in the end, especially when its been elluding you for ages.

I, like everyone else coming accross this riposte could not fail to be impressed and extremely pleased to hear that by diligent application over the years you have managed to amass a collection of hundreds of pictures.
However, this admiration for your perspicacious garnering of militaria has been dented somewhat by allowing yourself to inject an element of smug patronization into your reply to the initial query.
If you, as any intelligent and reasonable person might have felt, that you were unable to make any acceptable contribution to the request, then a mere shrug of the shoulders as you turned back to your much- treasured collection might have sufficed, rather than your jumble of ill-chosen and misspelt words.
Or much better still you might have used the e-mail address supplied to receive the explanation which you so obviously need.
A failed attempt to achieve self-glorification by self-aggrandizement is always extremely sad to observe .
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:50   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
I, like everyone else coming accross this riposte

Somehow I feel you are a little over the top with your reply, in fact it seemed to display all the smug faults you were trying to condemn.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 18:07   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
I, like everyone else coming accross this riposte could not fail to be impressed and extremely pleased to hear that by diligent application over the years you have managed to amass a collection of hundreds of pictures.
However, this admiration for your perspicacious garnering of militaria has been dented somewhat by allowing yourself to inject an element of smug patronization into your reply to the initial query.
If you, as any intelligent and reasonable person might have felt, that you were unable to make any acceptable contribution to the request, then a mere shrug of the shoulders as you turned back to your much- treasured collection might have sufficed, rather than your jumble of ill-chosen and misspelt words.
Or much better still you might have used the e-mail address supplied to receive the explanation which you so obviously need.
A failed attempt to achieve self-glorification by self-aggrandizement is always extremely sad to observe .
Quite amusing - "Pot calling the Kettle" springs to mind. One should take care to use "spellcheck" before criticising the spelling of others
Old 29-08-2013, 18:34   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Thank you for your rather SMUG and long winded retort. Casper is not the first to think they can have owt they ask for. It gets irritating as time goes by.
If there are any errors, please use the following to correct.
qwertyuiop asdfghjkl zxcvbnm ,.;:'" Enjoy.

Last edited by Retlaw; 29-08-2013 at 18:41.
Old 29-08-2013, 19:13   #9
Senior Member+

Over the years, I have made appeals for photos and they were always forthcoming, as said just what I wanted to do with them ie publish in a book. The book 'Accrington Acclaimed' was the last such book. My co-compiler. Geoff Taylor did not take any payment for his contribution, and I paid £500 to St John's church appeal. We need to hear from Billy Casper. Please do bear Atarah's appeal in mind -quality copying of photos is so easy these days.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 20:05   #10

Perhaps I should explain.

The reason I am looking for old photographs is this,
I am a restorer of old and damaged photos . I am in the process of starting a web based business and just wanted some old photographs to practice on (and I was/am willing to reprint said restorations for free, but I am also well aware of the forum rules ie

Advertising & Spam
Advertising a website, product or service is not allowed unless permission has been given from the Forum Staff or in a specific forum with rules on posts that can be made.

Not wanting to break rules, I thought I would ask people to email myself and I could then explain why I wanted said photos.
"Please do bear Atarah's appeal in mind"
I actually pmed Atarah the same day to explain (was the only person to ask me in a civil way).

Retlaw this is the second time you have jumped on me for my postings, (you where so obnoxious last time the moderator deleted your posts), Have I done something to upset you ?. At what point did i say I would like these photos "handed to me on a plate"
Why call me a "clever burgger" ?
"Casper is not the first to think they can have owt they ask for" Thats a bit rude, why would you say I think I can have owt I ask for, do you know me ?.

I actually already own lots of old and interesting local photo,s (I have been collecting them for years) in fact you would probably find a lot of them interesting.

So there you have it, hope it all makes sense.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:39   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post
Perhaps I should explain.

The reason I am looking for old photographs is this,
I am a restorer of old and damaged photos . I am in the process of starting a web based business and just wanted some old photographs to practice on (and I was/am willing to reprint said restorations for free, but I am also well aware of the forum rules.

I actually already own lots of old and interesting local photo,s (I have been collecting them for years) in fact you would probably find a lot of them interesting.
If you already own lots of interesting local photos, why did you need to ask the way you did for more to practice on. Old photo's can be found on any flea market.
As for Clever Burrger read your own punch line on your posts, as you say I've met them before.
Quite a lot of my military photo's have been given to me by the older generation, who don't want their photo's thrown away when they pass on.
They are now in Accrington Library, for research purposes only.
Several members of Accy Web have seen a picture of a relative for the first time through this collection.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:48   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
[B]
Several members of Accy Web have seen a picture of a relative for the first time through this collection.
Without doubt, me missus being one of em.
Old 29-08-2013, 20:57   #13

I did not not ask originally for photos to "practice on"
I have now explained why I asked for photos (and tried to explain why I went about it the way I did).
As for my "punch line" (always thought it was called a signature), it has appeared at the end of all my posts on accy web for the past 8 years, if you insist on quoting it please do it correctly.
And finally you start talking about yourself again.
I did not ask at any point what you had done or collected.
You dont know me ,my age or anything about my collection. (you never know mine might be bigger than yours).
Anyway thanks for hijacking my thread (just as you did last time).
Old 30-08-2013, 05:59   #14
Senior Member+

Billy, I think you have responded well ,and whilst it would have been better to have given a fuller explanation in the first place, your request is not unreasonable. Because of my technical limitations, I do not keep photos. If I did, I would be willing to share them with you after what might be called a misunderstanding. I repeat that it would be good to remember the museum's interests - this is OUR museum.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..