Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 19:31   #76

Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

Dont think he likes being called JB. What about boring ******?
Mr Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2007, 19:33   #77
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
You missed by reply in your continuing rants

But just in case you still haven't got the message.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR ASDA TO DECIDE TO SELL TO UNDER 21's. IT IS TOTALLY UP TO THEM WHO THEY SELL TO.

so time to shut up and get back to being a miserable old koot again
I’ve already acknowledged (in the opening post no less) that a vendor can sell to whom he likes within the law. But hey what does that matter when you want to take a poke at me.

However discrimination on the basis of age is also against the law. And any presentable 18 year old plus, if refused to be served alcohol, would have a good case for Trading Standards to investigate.

And I’ll bet that the European Court of Human Rights would have a field day.

And now you are so wound up and intent on pushing your own view forward you can’t even say what you obviously mean.

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR ASDA TO DECIDE NOT TO SELL TO UNDER 21's.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:35   #78
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
An excerpt from a post by Jambutty in the 'Introduce Yourself' thread.

Even at 70 I still ask questions if I don’t know something.

And you point is?
Old 02-12-2007, 19:37   #79
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
You're even repeating yourself now!
Only following your lead. Only I don’t shout.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:38   #80
Resident Waffler

Have you looked at the posters I uploaded yet or are you avoiding them?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:43   #81
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I know. Everywhere I know that sells alcohol has a "Challenge 21" poster. I even tried to explain to Jambutty that it would probably have been a "Challenge 21" poster but he seems to think that the Grimshaw Park ASDA has some sort of ruling of their own so I would just love to see it for myself to prove that it is nothing of the sort and simply the same as everyone else's.

No, it is not illegal. ASDA is perfectly within it's rights to refuse to sell alcohol (or anything else for that matter) to anyone they wish to refuse to sell it to. Their reason for avoiding selling alcohol to some people is to avoid prosecution for selling to someone under the legal age of 18. The law is that they MUST NOT sell alcohol to people under 18. The law is not that they MUST sell alcohol to people over the age of 18. What you have done is use false logic to draw an erroneous conclusion.

However, that is merely a tangent. You are missing the whole point. You have presumably not read my previous reference to the "challenge 21" scheme which is not limited to one ASDA store but is a national scheme whereby ANYONE who looks under 21 is advised that they will be challenged to prove that they are OVER 18 - please note that OVER 18, not over 21 - before they can buy alcohol.

If someone did produce ID to prove that he was over 18 and then was refused he would certainly have cause to grumble but this is something you have now brought up as an aside after you have been shown to have lost your original argument. There was a case in the paper where a woman was refused because she looked under 21 and still refused even when her adult daughter proved that SHE was over 18! That just proved that a member of staff at the store in question was being plain silly, not that the store itself had an illegal policy.

I really must see these posters in your ASDA - or did it possibly escape your notice that the number 18 appears on those posters?

Are we really expected to believe that an AccyWebber would go to all the trouble of ringing you up to argue with you about this?

Thanks Jambutty, for such an entertaining thread. Best laugh I've had all week.

P.S. Please look at the attached images, read all of the text, take time to inwardly digest it and then have a think about it and you might just be able to understand what people have been trying to tell you.
I don’t expect you to do anything. You can either believe me or believe me not. I don’t care. I’m not bovvered. I know it was true. The bloke who rang me knows it's true and if you believe in a deity he also knows it is true.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:44   #82
Senior Member+

does any of this really matter?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:44   #83
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Dont think he likes being called JB. What about boring ******?
If the best that you can do is to resort to name calling then you really are to be pitied.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:45   #84
God Member

Seems folks Jambutty Esquire is right even when wrong! So no point wasting your fingertips on it.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:50   #85
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Have you looked at the posters I uploaded yet or are you avoiding them?
Yes I saw them and dismissed them as totally irrelevant.

Which one of those was posted at the checkout in the Grimshaw Park Blackburn Asda? None of them.

If your are going to try and make a point it would be helpful if you did so with the correct data.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:53   #86
Resident Waffler

I really must go and look at these posters at Grimshaw Park. It's definitely intriguing me now.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 02-12-2007 at 19:55.
Old 02-12-2007, 19:55   #87
God Member

Irrational argument is a sign of senile dementia
We all need to think 'Will I be like that some day?'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 19:59   #88
Resident Waffler

I've got it sussed!

Jambutty is on commission to get more customers to Grimshaw Park ASDA!

Old 02-12-2007, 20:00   #89
God Member

Oh god I hope so Margaret. lol Very entertaining! Doesn't seem much relevence to it now, I think willow may check it out though, I haven't witnessed willow so riled in my short time here!
Old 02-12-2007, 20:02   #90
God Member

Quote:
I've got it sussed!

Jambutty is on commission to get more customers to Grimshaw Park ASDA!
Are you going to buy anything when you go willow? I am reasonably sure you may go.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..