Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 19:45   #166
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wikepedia quote -
"In the 19th century, gold coins were legal tender to any amount, silver coins were not legal tender for sums over 2 pounds, nor bronze for sums over 1 shilling.

This provision was retained in revised form at the introduction of decimal currency, and the Coinage Act 1971 laid down that coins denominated above 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 10 pounds, coins denominated not more than 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 5 pounds, and bronze coins became legal tender for payment not exceeding 20 pence."
Wikepdia! Now there’s the fountain of all knowledge. It is well know that Wikepdia is not necessarily as accurate as people might imagine. Unless it makes a reference to with a link to a proven accurate source. Because I understand, but do not know for sure, that anyone can log in and amend any article.

There is a limit on how many coins of the same denomination you can offer for it to be legal tender. I have no idea what those limits are in this day and age. The quoted act was in 1971 that is nearly 37 years ago. Could not have found something closer to today?
Old 04-12-2007, 19:49   #167
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

An instance of when a little knowledge (of the law) can be a dangerous thing (for the shopkeeper):-

About 33 years ago, when we were having a lot of power cuts, I wanted a big brass oil lamp, functional and ornamental. My husband saw one in an ironmonger's shop window, in Durham City where we lived at the time, priced at £12 so he went in to buy it. The assistant had a look and said she was really sorry but the one in the window had the wrong price on it and it should be £20. My husband said he was sure the law said they were obliged to sell the item at the advertised price but the shop manager said no it didn't.

At that moment a friend of ours, a police superintendent, walked into the shop - in uniform (he'd popped in to buy a screwdiver on his way home from work). My husband called him over and asked if he was right to demand the lower price, to which our friend replied, "Oh yes, definitely." Faced with a policeman's word the manager sold my husband the lamp for £12.

Outside the shop my husband asked our friend if he had quoted the law correctly, to which the friend replied that he really had no idea; he was, at the time, in charge of Traffic. I have a feeling the shopkeeper was in the right - but I was happy to have the lamp, which I've still got. A case of Might (in a uniform) is Right.
Old 04-12-2007, 19:56   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
An instance of when a little knowledge (of the law) can be a dangerous thing (for the shopkeeper):-

About 33 years ago, when we were having a lot of power cuts, I wanted a big brass oil lamp, functional and ornamental. My husband saw one in an ironmonger's shop window, in Durham City where we lived at the time, priced at £12 so he went in to buy it. The assistant had a look and said she was really sorry but the one in the window had the wrong price on it and it should be £20. My husband said he was sure the law said they were obliged to sell the item at the advertised price but the shop manager said no it didn't.

At that moment a friend of ours, a police superintendent, walked into the shop - in uniform (he'd popped in to buy a screwdiver on his way home from work). My husband called him over and asked if he was right to demand the lower price, to which our friend replied, "Oh yes, definitely." Faced with a policeman's word the manager sold my husband the lamp for £12.

Outside the shop my husband asked our friend if he had quoted the law correctly, to which the friend replied that he really had no idea; he was, at the time, in charge of Traffic. I have a feeling the shopkeeper was in the right - but I was happy to have the lamp, which I've still got. A case of Might (in a uniform) is Right.
Well based on the law we talked about earlier the shop keeper would have to have been correct, because at the point u asked for the item you where only in the negotiation stage of a contract, and if he wishes he can change his mind about the price just as you can change your mind about buying it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 19:58   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Wikepdia! Now there’s the fountain of all knowledge. It is well know that Wikepdia is not necessarily as accurate as people might imagine. Unless it makes a reference to with a link to a proven accurate source. Because I understand, but do not know for sure, that anyone can log in and amend any article.

There is a limit on how many coins of the same denomination you can offer for it to be legal tender. I have no idea what those limits are in this day and age. The quoted act was in 1971 that is nearly 37 years ago. Could not have found something closer to today?
It doesnt matter how old the legislation is, the reason it is such old law is because of two reasons, either 1. its good law and doesnt need amending 2. nobody has got round to it yet (the law changes very slowly)

Some of the relevent cases I'm studying right now are from the 19th century. Of course peope criticise old law by saying it may not apply to todays circumstances, and sometimes it doesnt, but in general it does. I dont think anyone would be arrested for accepting over 20p in coppers though, so I think it is useless law.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 20:10   #170
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Well based on the law we talked about earlier the shop keeper would have to have been correct, because at the point u asked for the item you where only in the negotiation stage of a contract, and if he wishes he can change his mind about the price just as you can change your mind about buying it.

Ooh, I'm glad you weren't around then. I don't think I'd have got my lamp.
Old 04-12-2007, 20:22   #171
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
"alcohol is poisonous, when given to the wrong person

suppose you could say alcohol is poisonous when given to ANY person..

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 20:26   #172
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
If you won’t take my word for it why should we take yours? Did you write down what was said verbatim? Did you record the conversation? No? Then you comment has no more validity than mine.

Well, everyone else is free to phone Asda for themselves if they wish.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 20:34   #173
Senior Member+

lets fin this folks, its getting tedious now ...

heres the line

__________________________________________________ ________

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
Old 04-12-2007, 20:37   #174
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
lets fin this folks, its getting tedious now ...

heres the line

__________________________________________________ ________

rofl. Did you mean to leave the gap in it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 20:57   #175
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Maybe not but it let some posts slip past.
Old 04-12-2007, 21:22   #176
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

oooops nope

il try a shorter one

Old 04-12-2007, 21:38   #177
God Member

Are we done yet?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:40   #178
God Member

yes-------------

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 21:42   #179
Senior Member+

are you sure?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 13:53   #180
God Member

We are not quite done yet, because a funny old thing happened last night. I had switched on the radio very late and just caught a few scattered words about a shooting in a shop and nine people dead.

"Bloody hell!" I thought "Jambutty has run berserk with a sawn-off shotgun in the Grimshaw Park Asda"

Luckily for the people of Blackburn it was not the case.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..