Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 21:30   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington's new bus station "to be"

Maybe its time to start a thread on this subject.

I have already mentioned that I have "picked up" today that the reason a fashion shop in Union Street has closed (near to Abbey National/Santander) is because it could be due to be demolished to make a "walk way" through to what would be the new bus station at the bottom of School Street.

Then this was in the local paper a few weeks back:

Accrington town centre roads plan to boost trade (From Lancashire Telegraph)

and then there is this to look at: http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...queaT9i3epgSSQ

Last edited by Atarah; 04-10-2011 at 21:37.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-10-2011, 21:53   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Accrington's new bus station "to be"

What a stupid place to site a bus station.
Old 04-10-2011, 21:59   #3
God Member

It has been discussed before but don't think it's had it's own thread.

I recall MP's comments
Quote:
“It’s important to get their views.
Wonder why they didn't ask for them before putting in the bid, or if they did who did they ask.

I asked the question of somebody the other day, Hyndburn has a Town Centre manager. should it not be part of his job to at least get the views of the town centre businesses.
Old 04-10-2011, 22:39   #4
Give, give, give member

'A bid to fund the scheme is to be submitted to the government in September.'

Hopes are high for a new bus station | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

Might be there now, if they stuck a first class stamp on it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 22:45   #5
Give, give, give member

'The new bus station should encourage more use of the public transport network and lead to greater numbers of visitors to Accrington Town Centre.'

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ion_Report.pdf

Ambiguous word, 'should'.

Personally I much prefer 'will', and evidence as to why.

Old 04-10-2011, 23:02   #6
God Member

hang on the bust station we have isnt exactly old is it ?

surely if money is to be given to make accy center better the money could be spent on something other than a new bus station we dont need.Its still going to have teh same grotty busses so what exactly is going to be so appealing about getting off a grotty bus in a different part of town ?

How about forcing all betting establishments to the outside of town center for straters and reducing rates/rent or whatever so that small buisnesses can set up rather than a sea of betting shops and cheap shops.

not really thought about it in great depth but the least important thing accy center needs is a new bus station

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 23:19   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
hang on the bust station we have isnt exactly old is it ?

surely if money is to be given to make accy center better the money could be spent on something other than a new bus station we dont need.Its still going to have teh same grotty busses so what exactly is going to be so appealing about getting off a grotty bus in a different part of town ?

How about forcing all betting establishments to the outside of town center for straters and reducing rates/rent or whatever so that small buisnesses can set up rather than a sea of betting shops and cheap shops.

not really thought about it in great depth but the least important thing accy center needs is a new bus station
Come on.

Out with negativity. Be a bit more of an 'Internationalist'.

Moving the bus station...again, some high-tech signage, and some fancy brushed steel non-gates and barriers, decorated with acorns, will really put Accy on the map.

There'll soon be bus loads of people arriving in the town.

Poland, Romania, Azerbaijan.

It's a win/win situation.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30   #8
Senior Member+

The debate over the bus station was a farce. The former Council Leader stifled the debate eventually leading to a withdrawal of bus companies from the TC Regeneration Board. The newspapers ran headlines and facts were lost in the fog about the 'Council leader refuses to relocate bus station' and complaints about his shop ownership on Peel Street savaged any reasonable discussion.

Peter Britcliffe wanted Peel Street even though there had been a fatality and no-one else wanted it except a few shoppers who used buses and liked thheveryone proximity.

The engineers, the bus companies, LCC, other bus users and regular contributors and knowledgeable local people did not want Peel Street.

Two sites were drawn up. I was in the minority in wanting Abbey Street at junction with Infant street because of it's scope for access, regeneration. I didn't think it ideal and the case for Crawshaw street, the other shortlisted site accepted by all, including other Tories except PeterB who was silenced now after a Standards Board complaint.

The Council never fully endorsed this and as part landowners effectively blocked progress.

The architects of the bid, LCC and BwD persued the bid and bouyed by an incoming Council willing to make progress the revised scheme has picked up support bar minor contentions.

Crawshaw Street is not big enough and moves the TC further north. The same LCC engineers wrongly criticised for having no common sense and no idea but who successfully reengineered Whitebirk roundabout and to a lesser degree were successful with Eagle Street following Tescos planning application have said they can manage the tight bus station site. We have to have accept they have done a good job on our behalf so far and deserve credit not destructive criticism.

The land deals have now been sorted. the new progressive Council is ensuring that it is part of a bigger picture and done with all involved having an opportunity to contribute to a thoughtful process at the newly created Public Transport Forum (open to all).

Crawshaw Street has advantages. Nearest to TC. Near train station for complementary patronage, an argument I don't support, and good access to road network. There is no other site.

The new Council has already stated the Blackburn Road is a priority with the reciept from Tesco's and that opening access in front of the town hall will now be looked into with the view that it will be opened up both ways.

As for Peel Street and the Market Hall my view is clear. It will get more trade if we can allow adjacent car parking for people wishing to use an easier (and better) alternative to supermarkets.

This whole debate forgets that in 2001 PeterB made the catrostrophic decision to do away with the old market and build that uneccesssary monstrosity which led the bus lane for Blackburn buses being built on for the new stalls. That decision alone has determined where we are now, not where we would like to be.

PS as a newly elected Councillor I totally opposed that development and said so!!

Sent from mobile

Last edited by g jones; 05-10-2011 at 07:35.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42   #9
Give, give, give member

In reality, if you're a full fare paying passenger, it's cheaper to travel to Accrington by taxi, from anywhere within Hyndburn, than it is going there on the bus.

Still, once this has been pushed through, all the considerable costs will soon be forgotton, as we witness the hoards of people flocking into Accrington, because the bus station's been moved.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09   #10
Senior Member+

Cynical and very 'conservative' thinking! Great places move on and evolve.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10   #11
God Member

i agree with what Graham has said about the Market Hall getting more custom if a car park is put in the vacinity, isn't that a good thing?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:12   #12
Beacon of light

Ok if you have access to a car, but for those elderly and infirm, the bus station being moved down to Crawshaw St. does the Market and the Market hall no favours at all.

With this development I can see the Market hall becoming a vast mausoleum to the trade that once went on in that splendid building.

It would make far more sense to demolish the market that is situated on the Peel St site and turn that into the Bus Station(this serves the Town centre well and would preserve trade in Little Blackburn Road, Church St....and it doesn't move the centre of the town) The stalls that are currently on the Peel St side of the market could be situated on Broadway.......making Broadway a bit more vibrant and centralising commerce.
Leave the centre of the town where it is......complete with easy public transport access...for the many who use public transport.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:14   #13
God Member

wherever the bus station is going to be in Accrington won't stop outsiders coming into the town, i love the place and would rather shop in Accy than my own town so i don't see a problem (as an outsider) in where the new bus station is to be placed
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18   #14
Beacon of light

Well Flashy, maybe that is because you are young and fit........there are many who aren't and for those, it will take trade away from the Market and the Market hall.

It is moving the centre of town away from the natural centre.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20   #15
Beacon of light

The older people are traditionally, who still shop in the Market Hall....because it is what they have always done.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..