Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 21:46   #31
Beacon of light

Re: At Last Something Like A Proper Sentence.

Yes, Blazey that is what I was saying....35 years has to be what it says......35 years.....not 25....not 30.
And if they are doing a review of the sentence after a set period of time and they think that this man is still a danger then he should be incarcerated for longer. No child should ever have to suffer at his hands again.

And Ian Huntley has precious little reason to smile...for he truly knows what he did to those children and he has to live with the consequences.
Actions and consequences go together.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2007, 21:49   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, blazey that is what I was saying....35 years has to be what it says......35 years.....not 25....not 30.
And if they are doing a review of the sentence after a set period of time and they think that this man is still adanger then he should be incarcerated for longer. No child should ever have to suffer at his hands again.

And Ian Huntley has precious little reason to smile...for he truly knows what he did to those children and he has to live with the consequences.
Actions and consequences go together.
25 years is still a long time though, I'm not even 25yrs old myself yet so I couldn't imagine spending more than what i've already lived in a prison!

And exactly what an argument is for letting peope out early margeret, you just said it yourself in the case of ian huntley, he has no reason to smile as he has to live with what he did, and even outside of prison he still will have to live with that, it wont go away. No length of time in prison is going to make that any better or worse, which was just my point that its not always necessary for someone to serve a long time.
Sometimes less is enough.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 21:59   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Whilst somewhat nervous about posting here goes. Whilst I agree completely agree with the fact that this individual is the scum of the earth and comments that the life sentence should indeed mean life- I must comment that the case should not be seen as an argument for the re-introduction of the death penalty. No research has ever indicated that the death penalty acts as a deterrent and there are sufficient examples of miscarriages of justice to argue forcibly against the death penalty.
Of course this is only my opinion.
I agree. David Milgard who served 23 years in Kingston Penitentiary for a murder he did not commit, would also agree.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:01   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I agree. David Milgard who served 23 years in Kingston Penitentiary for a murder he did not commit, would also agree.
And unfortunatly there are quite alot more who are found to have served sentences for crimes they had never committed. Its quite a shame as I remember once reading that a man who had been in this situation actually committed suicide as he still had the reputation even though he had been eventually found innocent.
Old 02-07-2007, 22:04   #35
Resident Waffler

25 years seems a lot longer to someone who hasn't yet reached the age of 25 than it does to someone who has passed it - and double. The older we get the quicker time seems to go. Ironically that seems to happen more when one day is pretty much like the rest too. You'd expect it to drag more then wouldn't you really? Apparently it's to do with memory looking back and not having any specific landmarks to latch onto.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:05   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
25 years seems a lot longer to someone who hasn't yet reached the age of 25 than it does to someone who has passed it - and double. The older we get the quicker time seems to go. Ironically that seems to happen more when one day is pretty much like the rest too. You'd expect it to drag more then wouldn't you really? Apparently it's to do with memory looking back and not having any specific landmarks to latch onto.
A child killer is likely to have alot of nasty memories to look back on in prison though, nobody would let him go on his way without making sure he felt some pain.
Old 02-07-2007, 22:11   #37
Resident Waffler

If he was put in isolation it would probably be incredible tedious though.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:15   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
A child killer is likely to have alot of nasty memories to look back on in prison though, nobody would let him go on his way without making sure he felt some pain.
Excuse me? but what makes you say this? These days prison is supposed to be a place of rehabilitation. To assist the perpetrator to adjust so that they will be a worthwhile citizen when they have done their time.

What you are suggesting happens is surely cruel and illegal? Plus, why should we have to rely on the people society has condemned to jail to mete out the justice that if we had strength of purpose we would do ourselves? If the people in prison are having to punish people worse than themselves how does that help with their own rehabilitation?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:35   #39

It doesn't and the reality is that he will almost certainly be segregated the moment he steps into a prison. He will be a cat A prisoner and will be placed on a segregation wing- most frequently with other sex offenders.
That is not to say that he wont be targtted in prison by other offenders as he certainly will be. This is not simply borne of some form of moral code held by those serving sentences but also what Dr Guy Hall, clinical and forensic psychologist, a 'neutralisation'. That being the thought process human beings use to justify their own behaviour. In this sense- "I might have committed an offence but I'm not as bad as him" therefore a degree of retribution for your own actions, it is reasoned, would be achieved by 'punishing' the other person on behalf of society.
It might seem like misguided logic but guilt does funny things to people.

Other neutralistaions frequently used by offenders-
Denial Of Victim- "It wasnt that bad", "They are insured" etc.
Denial of Injury- "I only hit him once"
Denial of responsibility- "It wasnt me it was the drugs/drink"

There are many more but I wont bore you further- they are basiaclly what we as human beings use to justify our actiosn as the vast majority of us actually know the difference between right and wrong.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:40   #40

Quote:
I wont bore you further
Awwww! you're just teasing, I bet you do!
Old 02-07-2007, 22:45   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Awwww! you're just teasing, I bet you do!

I desperately want to try and avoid another thread going off on a tangent and apologise to everyone before hand BUT I simply have to ask what the problem is Less?
I dont think I am misinterpreting your response this time or misjudging the tone- you really are quite antagonistic yet claim that others are stirring things up- Why such animosity?
Old 02-07-2007, 22:54   #42
God Member

Quote:
I desperately want to try and avoid another thread going off on a tangent and apologise to everyone before hand BUT I simply have to ask what the problem is Less?
I dont think I am misinterpreting your response this time or misjudging the tone- you really are quite antagonistic yet claim that others are stirring things up- Why such animosity?
thats just less, I suppose this is where being a "older" member helps...take most things he says with his tongue firmly in his cheek...see less thats me being polite to you I could have stuck your tongue somewhere else NOW OFF TO YOUR CALM ROOM NAUGHTY BOY

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:54   #43

Quote:

It may same strange to you but it is called humour, I actually thought the whole of that post I quoted that little snippet from, followed on very well from what I had said, however I should have realised that you would react in the manner that you did, because your funny bone was removed at birth. (patronising smilie coming up, just like in the post I've offended you with).
Old 02-07-2007, 23:07   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
It may same strange to you but it is called humour, I actually thought the whole of that post I quoted that little snippet from, followed on very well from what I had said, however I should have realised that you would react in the manner that you did, because your funny bone was removed at birth. (patronising smilie coming up, just like in the post I've offended you with).

Thats where I am falling down- I always something had to be funny to be humorous. Stick to the day job Less you aint funny.
Old 02-07-2007, 23:22   #45

Quote:
Thats where I am falling down- I always something had to be funny to be humorous. Stick to the day job Less you aint funny.
You are a newbie, like all people that enter somewhere new you should wipe your feet mind your P's & Q's and get used to what the other folk are like before you think you can take your shoes off and put you're feet under the table.

You and others that have recently joined seem to be on some sort of mission to seemingly correct the 'twisted' minds of the accyweb crowd. Well we have lasted for quite some time without your assistance we have welcomed many diverse people with equally diverse views onto the site and will continue to do so, long after you have given up trying to cure us.

In future please refrain from being rude and thinking that the members need you to educate them, we don't.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..