Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 04:26   #106
God Member

Re: Bus passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
The shooting & fishing lark go way back when to the times of early pioneers exploring the wilds & founding communities, it's a way of life which some still follow & enjoy, I myself although from England partook of shooting & fishing on our own fair Countryside when younger.

Before you get all aerated about the fact we only shot what we needed & a couple for the farmer as a thank you for letting us use his land, I don't do the shooting now, but still enjoy fishing.

As to the safety aspect you'll find the Canadian kids are introduced to firearms at an early age & taught to respect & appreciate the dangers & responsibilities inherent with these pieces of equipment/tools as that is what they are. Unlike your average overindulged British kid who'd think it was something for making him the hardcase, cool kid of the gang because of the different mentality & mindset between our nations.

And as to the comment of Humanely processed meat you get in the supermarkets Gynn, I think you may need to have a look again at some of these processes.

Sorry for the digression, but if it's of any interest my ol' Dads got his bus pass. Although he doesn't really need it as he's still fit & able enough to drive & he'll continue to do so as long as he's capable.
It slipped my mind that you spent time in Southern Alberta, where every pick up truck has a gun rack in it. Most Canadians still live in, or close to the countryside, where hunting is the norm. Canadians are good shots; some even set world records:
Rob Furlong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Of course, that was for shooting vermin.

Maybe he was awarded a bus pass for his shooting.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2011, 06:59   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
They should bring ALL bus fares down and get 'em full. Hate seeing an empty bus or one with just a couple of people on. Those buses must be running at a loss. The only full buses you ever see are the school ones - imagine being the driver of one of them...no thanks!!
I totally agree with these comments, you should work on getting busfares lowered amd leave the OAP alone after all most of them have paid their debt to society in Taxes and services to the public in general, oh nefore I go who paid for the illegal substance that that idiot Groove used to depend on. Come on Groove get a life.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:42   #108
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
I totally agree with these comments, you should work on getting busfares lowered amd leave the OAP alone after all most of them have paid their debt to society in Taxes and services to the public in general, oh nefore I go who paid for the illegal substance that that idiot Groove used to depend on. Come on Groove get a life.
I agree that bus fares are to high but the only way they could be lowered would be if the buses were owned and operated by the local authority and run more as a service than a business with funding coming from central government who like to pretend they are all green and environmental warriors against the car.

Oh wait a minute, we used to have that before some past government screwed it up.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46   #109
God Member

Didn't realise that the buses were no longer local authority run. In my week here I noticed that there seem to be taxis everywhere in town but the buses seemed to be mainly empty...

Do pensioners still get free bus passes?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:54   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I noticed that there seem to be taxis everywhere in town ?

I was saying this morning I need one of those Max Cabs stickers for my car, I'm sure my car is the only one in Accrington without one. There's more taxis than people in accrington, all legitimate of course
Old 02-11-2011, 08:53   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I was saying this morning I need one of those Max Cabs stickers for my car, I'm sure my car is the only one in Accrington without one. There's more taxis than people in accrington, all legitimate of course
Printing T shirts, driving taxis where's it all going to end Dave
Old 02-11-2011, 14:30   #112
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree that bus fares are to high but the only way they could be lowered would be if the buses were owned and operated by the local authority and run more as a service than a business with funding coming from central government who like to pretend they are all green and environmental warriors against the car.

Oh wait a minute, we used to have that before some past government screwed it up.
How long is it since there was an Accrington Corporation Transport ... or something like that? Those mainly double deckers in the colors of the pals?
Old 02-11-2011, 14:52   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
How long is it since there was an Accrington Corporation Transport ... or something like that? Those mainly double deckers in the colors of the pals?
Local Authority run bus services were deregulated in 1986. Hyndburn Transport Ltd was then set up as a private company owned by Hyndburn Borough Council, and it continued to operate bus services in Hyndburn until the mid 1990s.

For economic reasons, the Council then had to sell the bus company to Stagecoach.

I can speak with some knowledge on this - I was involved in the discussions surrounding the sale.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 15:04   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Local Authority run bus services were deregulated in 1986. Hyndburn Transport Ltd was then set up as a private company owned by Hyndburn Borough Council, and it continued to operate bus services in Hyndburn until the mid 1990s.

For economic reasons, the Council then had to sell the bus company to Stagecoach.

I can speak with some knowledge on this - I was involved in the discussions surrounding the sale.
Would that be all Local Authority bus services? Or just Hyndburn?
Old 02-11-2011, 19:04   #115
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Would that be all Local Authority bus services? Or just Hyndburn?
The Transport Act 1985 provided for the deregulation of bus companies throughout the country.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 19:45   #116
Beacon of light

My bus pass is not free. I pay for it!
I have paid into the system all of my life. I have never been unemployed. I drew dole during the time when factories laid people off because of the power cuts.......but was never unemployed(you had to sign on to get your insurance stamp paid for). I get a free eye test...but pay for my glasses. I do not get free or concessionary dental treatment(yes, I do still have my own teeth). I could have free prescriptions, but currently take no prescribed medications.
So my bus pass is the only thing that the government gives me....except, it doesn't because I still pay taxes......on my pension, council tax(at full rate).....tax on the meagre income my savings accrue.......so I assure you Groove......they are giving me nothing. I earned it!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 19:49   #117
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Ignore the clown margaret..........hes banned now anyway.
Old 02-11-2011, 19:56   #118
Beacon of light

I noticed, but it incenses me when folk think the bus pass is free. I was waiting for the bus to go to Manchester recently and some young folk were talking about all us oldies being able to get on the bus and travel for free....so it is a widespread belief.
These whippersnappers forget that one day they might be old too....if they live long enough.

And yes Neil, I did respond, but not to him....to the topic! I have him on ignore.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:36   #119
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
My bus pass is not free. I pay for it!
I have paid into the system all of my life. I have never been unemployed. I drew dole during the time when factories laid people off because of the power cuts.......but was never unemployed(you had to sign on to get your insurance stamp paid for). I get a free eye test...but pay for my glasses. I do not get free or concessionary dental treatment(yes, I do still have my own teeth). I could have free prescriptions, but currently take no prescribed medications.
So my bus pass is the only thing that the government gives me....except, it doesn't because I still pay taxes......on my pension, council tax(at full rate).....tax on the meagre income my savings accrue.......so I assure you Groove......they are giving me nothing. I earned it!
I am total agreement with you Margaret, apart from two prescriptions a month we are in a similar position. I managed to work through the three day week during the power cuts because of the job I was doing.

I have read the post that the groovy idiot posted and have held my finger off the keyboard until now.
I have a bus pass, I have used it twice to go into Accrington but still find it easier to drive straight from my garage to town rather than walk the two hundred yards to the bus stop, OK I am a lazy so and so but after 73 years the old body is getting a bit weary.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I noticed, but it incenses me when folk think the bus pass is free. I was waiting for the bus to go to Manchester recently and some young folk were talking about all us oldies being able to get on the bus and travel for free....so it is a widespread belief.
These whippersnappers forget that one day they might be old too....if they live long enough.

And yes Neil, I did respond, but not to him....to the topic! I have him on ignore.
Margaret, in this case I think your totally wrong, in as much that you said that one day he might be old too, doubt it with an attitude like that

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..