Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19   #466
God Member

Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Why can I get respect off them but their teachers cant? I'M obviously not the one who has the wrong idea am I?
Looks to me like you have already answered this question;

Quote:
This course is free for them. They get rewarded every evening for following the rules and behaving during the day. They're given 'chances' but if they keep breaking rules they get sent home.
Which part of the 'normal' school environment allows teachers to reward the kids every night for good behaviour ?

From what you have described you are working as a care assistant on a course for delinquents. As you have already stated these kids have already crossed the line for behavioural problems and they have been sent away for a few weeks. No wonder they stick to the rules, they misbehaved in the first place and what do they get ?a nice holiday wth treats. How the hell is a nornal school supposed to install discipline in them if they see the rewards for bad behaviour. In fact how do many parents compete with that ? Neither are in a position to 'reward' the kids in their charge every night.
Old 11-07-2008, 14:46   #467
Resident Waffler

This is one of those things that makes my blood boil. My kids attend school regularly and are not late for which they get a little certificate at the end of term.

Other kids are persistently late or 'bunk off' but if they change their ways they are rewarded!

So much for good behaviour. It pays to behave badly and then change your ways and collect your reward.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:11   #468
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
This is one of those things that makes my blood boil. My kids attend school regularly and are not late for which they get a little certificate at the end of term.

Other kids are persistently late or 'bunk off' but if they change their ways they are rewarded!

So much for good behaviour. It pays to behave badly and then change your ways and collect your reward.
All that has done is enforce among kids that bad is good and good is bad. Latter in life they will join those who on release from prison try their damnedest to get back in to a comfy easy life.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:27   #469
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Don't bug me teacher, eating me breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Would it not be failing them even more if it failed to round them up out of butty shops and shepherd them into school where they should be?
Which pupil are you blaming? Oh I see, you spent so much time in butty shops, causing the education system to fail you, that you don't know how to use an apostrophe.
If you really knew a bit of English grammar you would know that the apostrophe is in the correct place if the writer intended it to convey the singular pupil. If the intention were to convey the plural of pupil, as in pupils, then the apostrophe would be after the s.

Your response seems to indicate that you understood the statement to refer to one pupil because you asked, “Which pupil are you blaming?” Had you asked, “Which pupils are you blaming?” then your nit picking would have been justified. As it is you are left with egg on your face.
Old 11-07-2008, 17:39   #470
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
It's a forum for discussions and debates,you don't stick your oar into topics you express your opinions.
And i don't always know what i'm talking about but i have my own opinions on subjects and like to express my views and see others.
It would appear that you do not know the meaning of “sticking your oar in.”

It means, “to involve yourself in a discussion or a situation when other people do not want you to.”

If you read your last sentence again maybe you would see what a fool you have made of yourself by admitting that you will form an opinion on a subject that you know nothing about.

I honestly can’t see you meaning that.
Old 11-07-2008, 17:41   #471
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

It means, “to involve yourself in a discussion or a situation when other people do not want you to.”

If you read your last sentence again maybe you would see what a fool you have made of yourself by admitting that you will form an opinion on a subject that you know nothing about.

I honestly can’t see you meaning that.

JB how many times do you need to go 'off topic' in ONE thread?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 17:47   #472
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
JB how many times do you need to go 'off topic' in ONE thread?
Of course you never go off topic do you?

Well read back a pace and you will see that the majority of the posts are way off topic, yours included.

Now is there anything else that you want to take me to task for?
Old 11-07-2008, 17:48   #473
God Member

How many times does he need to elongate a thread by 30 pages of repetative waffle.
Old 11-07-2008, 18:10   #474
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Every thread would be exceedingly short if only the original poster were allowed to post because everybody else was 'sticking their oar' in.

Everyone is entitled to post in every thread - that's the whole point of a forum like this!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 18:21   #475
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Every thread would be exceedingly short if only the original poster were allowed to post because everybody else was 'sticking their oar' in.

Everyone is entitled to post in every thread - that's the whole point of a forum like this!
Yes, Gayle, did request the Mods that they lock it as thought we were just on a Merry-go-Round to nowhere... but they refused as were reluctant to close threads. Thought about this, and can understand it ... would be annoying for people who wanted to express a further opinion and give the Mods. too much power and judgement along with criticism from members, and one big headache, which takes up time. Obviously, they lock if getting entirely out of hand.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 10:48   #476
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Looks to me like you have already answered this question;

Which part of the 'normal' school environment allows teachers to reward the kids every night for good behaviour ?

From what you have described you are working as a care assistant on a course for delinquents. As you have already stated these kids have already crossed the line for behavioural problems and they have been sent away for a few weeks. No wonder they stick to the rules, they misbehaved in the first place and what do they get ?a nice holiday wth treats. How the hell is a nornal school supposed to install discipline in them if they see the rewards for bad behaviour. In fact how do many parents compete with that ? Neither are in a position to 'reward' the kids in their charge every night.
Sorry, I didn't make this ENTIRELY clear. They aren't all badly behaved children, just some of them are, some have diagnosed learning difficulties and some are extremely bright. All are from poor areas.

They're experiencing what life is like at uni, in other words this course is hard work. They're studying more here than they do at school and at a much more intense level, but at night they are taken on social activities because that is what we do at uni. Hard work then play.

All schools have the opportunity to sign up for these summer schools, they just need to contact the uni and show their interest. Nothing is stopping anyones children from coming on them. Most are predicted A's at GCSE and know how to behave, so aren't 'delinquents' at all.

The point of this is that everyone gets to see the rewards of uni. Some of the more troublesome kids have now seen what university life is like and realise that they should go back home and work hard if they want to experience this full time, and those that already know about university can now see how important it is to work hard.

Some people don't know they have opportunities to go to uni, they don't have parents like you guys who are encouraging and supportive, and it's EXTREMELY selfish to complain about these kids getting an opportunity whether they're bad at school or not. No wonder so many kids are so angry with society when it treats them like they're not worth the time of day.

Willow, your girls will do well and go to uni because you encourage them to do so. Some children don't get that, and so we are now giving them a few days of that so that they have a bit of an idea of what it's like and what they need to do. I think those of you that begrudge them of this should have a long hard think about what I've said. If you can't see the point of it then that is awful.

Screw charity and helping the needy, lets just be greedy.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 11:05   #477
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Some children don't get that, and so we are now giving them a few days of that so that they have a bit of an idea of what it's like and what they need to do. I think those of you that begrudge them of this should have a long hard think about what I've said. If you can't see the point of it then that is awful.

Screw charity and helping the needy, lets just be greedy.
sorry but thats crap, well mannered/behaved kids can be needy n deprived, n i have nothing against them being helped along, what i do object too is the tearaways getting freebies, thats not selfish its justice.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:08   #478
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
sorry but thats crap, well mannered/behaved kids can be needy n deprived, n i have nothing against them being helped along, what i do object too is the tearaways getting freebies, thats not selfish its justice.
Yeah it really winds me up when schools offer incentives,cash and mobiles etc.. to get truants into school.
Why should they get rewards just for turning up which they are meant to do anyway.
It must really pee off the pupils that do turn up and don't whack school because they don't get rewards for it.
Its almost encouraging bad behaviour,bunk off school and get fifty pounds!
Ridiculous.
Old 13-07-2008, 12:37   #479
God Member

Even my eight year old daughter has noticed the injustice of reward schemes. She pointed out that the naughty boys in the class get rewarded if they are good for one lesson whereas she is good for every lesson and doesn't get rewarded for it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 17:54   #480
God Member

Did you not listen cashy, there are straight A students on the course who ARE well behaved. It's just students from underprivileged areas.

Rhyddings students were here, and there is a course tomorrow for a few days of entirely lancashire students. It's a mix of students depending on who the schools chose to send on the courses. Lancaster doesn't pick, it just offers the service.

Unfortunately high schools don't seem to believe in equal opportunities, and primary schools are beginning to act similarly towards different types of students. Lancaster hasn't discriminated against anyone on this course, every one was treated exactly the same, followed the same rules and therefore they acted the same.

Schools however do things differently, and that's not a problem the university can fix unfortunately. There were allsorts of students on this course though. The only thing that they all had in common really was that they all had the ability to achieve great things at uni if guided properly.

This course isn't called Motiv8 for nothing. The other course is called Inspire, and the others have similar names too. I don't understand how people can't see the benefits to these kids but I guess you'd have to be here or have your own kids on it to see it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..