Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 09:55   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Full Council - 1st & 9th March

Is there any evidence that there will be a change of control at H.B.C., after the May elections?

It keeps getting mentioned, as if it's a certainty.

I remember much giddy excitement in May of last year.

Until the mayoral chains of office were dangled as a glittering loyalty prize.

Gaddafi's hanging on, against all the odds.

Anyone in the know like to give the odds of the ruling party being toppled in Hyndburn?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03   #32
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is there any evidence that there will be a change of control at H.B.C., after the May elections?

Anyone in the know like to give the odds of the ruling party toppling in Hyndburn?
HBC is one of the 30 councils expected to switch to Labour control in May which explains why even more cheques are being handed out than usual. Nothing is certain of course, but one would hope that common sense will prevail and people will see through electioneering to the wasteful, self-aggrandising spending we get the rest of the year.

The standard Consrvative argument against any cuts put forward has become 'gesture politics' but if cuts can be made, however small, surely that's a step in the right direction?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:

Anyone in the know like to give the odds of the ruling party being toppled in Hyndburn?
There's no certainties in politics. We'll be pushing hard for it of course,and making the case for change here in Hyndburn.But ultimately it will be up to the voters.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
HBC is one of the 30 councils expected to switch to Labour control in May which explains why even more cheques are being handed out than usual. Nothing is certain of course, but one would hope that common sense will prevail and people will see through electioneering to the wasteful, self-aggrandising spending we get the rest of the year.

The standard Consrvative argument against any cuts put forward has become 'gesture politics' but if cuts can be made, however small, surely that's a step in the right direction?
I stated on here that the charity group I help run would not be applying for another grant from H.B.C., because of the cuts in jobs and services.

I've no idea whether it's in the public arena, but we might be the recipient of a donation this year, that would pay for our accommodation for six months.

We were contacted, not the other way around.

We can not afford to turn money down, as this means other funds can be targeted towards assisting people living with Parkinson's, who need help or support. Also the fees we pay for hiring the accommodation we use is paid to H.B.C.

This money isn't guaranteed, as it was only mentioned in the last few weeks. We aren't obliged to take part in any publicity drive.

For whatever reason we might get it, it will be appreciated, and used to help local people.

Be assured that it certainly won't influence who I support politically, nor whom I praise, or criticise.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There's no certainties in politics. We'll be pushing hard for it of course,and making the case for change here in Hyndburn.But ultimately it will be up to the voters.
I agree.

There are no guarantees in politics, as there isn't in the rest of life.

I do remember people wanting to ring the church bells, on one particular morning last May, whilst singing Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is Dead.

Which because of Cllr. Malcolm Pritchard's decision, proved a little premature.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24   #36
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I stated on here that the charity group I help run would not be applying for another grant from H.B.C., because of the cuts in jobs and services.

I've no idea whether it's in the public arena, but we might be the recipient of a donation this year, that would pay for our accommodation for six months.

We were contacted, not the other way around.

We can not afford to turn money down, as this means other funds can be targeted towards assisting people living with Parkinson's, who need help or support. Also the fees we pay for hiring the accommodation we use is paid to H.B.C.

This money isn't guaranteed, as it was only mentioned in the last few weeks. We aren't obliged to take part in any publicity drive.

For whatever reason we might get it, it will be appreciated, and used to help local people.

Be assured that it certainly won't influence who I support politically, nor whom I praise, or criticise.
What fool would turn down money for a good cause. If it's there, take it, I don't think anyone would blame you.

However, as I said in response to Cllrs Roberts, Storey and Wilson last night, all three of whom pointed out that £500 could be the difference between a local group continuing or folding, they are absolutely spot on but since the money is being taken from reserves, has no reliance on the savings in the budget and is purportedly not for vote winning, why not do it in May last year instead of just ahead of the elections? Why did the opposition councillors only find out about it last night and why has a large proportion of it already been handed out in secret by the Conservative councillors up for re-election?

If Area Councils are such a good idea for the community then it should come from them, not one councillor.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:36   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
just a quick question councillor Moss if you objected to the conservative budget proposals why did'nt you vote against it? instead of Abstaining maybe the people of this forum may like to know that answer
Perhaps people on this forum may like to know "Why" apart from the not very meaningfull post, have contributed "Zilch" to this debate? or is it like i assume, yeh aint got the balls.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:48   #38

Councillor Whittaker, for your information, I DID vote against your budget because although I fully agree with a 0% Council Tax the other morally corrupt, vote grabbing, blatent electioneering parts of it turn me sick to the stomach. If your party spent more time actually LISTENING to what the public wants rather than imagining the millions of photo opportunities that await you when you present cheques then this borough MAY be better run. RANT OVER (for now !!!!!!!!)
ClarePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps people on this forum may like to know "Why" apart from the not very meaningfull post, have contributed "Zilch" to this debate? or is it like i assume, yeh aint got the balls.
Agree, or disagree with what he says, people do respect Ken Moss for speaking his mind.

He might make the odd snipe, but that is not the sole reason he comes on Accy Web. Unlike some.

The public value openess in politics.

Others could certainly learn from his example.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:51   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarePritchard View Post
Councillor Whittaker, for your information, I DID vote against your budget because although I fully agree with a 0% Council Tax the other morally corrupt, vote grabbing, blatent electioneering parts of it turn me sick to the stomach. If your party spent more time actually LISTENING to what the public wants rather than imagining the millions of photo opportunities that await you when you present cheques then this borough MAY be better run. RANT OVER (for now !!!!!!!!)
Oh, and not forgetting a few other councillors, who use this public arena to make their feelings known.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:00   #41
Beacon of light

Clare.........I liked your rant, because what you said is true.
The people who are controlling the council were elected by the public of the borough.......they are there to do what the electorate want....but how can this come about when they have no idea about the concerns of the people of the borough?

Why don't they know about the concerns of the electorate? Because they don't LISTEN.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 13:49   #42
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittaker View Post
just a quick question councillor Moss if you objected to the conservative budget proposals why did'nt you vote against it? instead of Abstaining maybe the people of this forum may like to know that answer
I still haven't had my answer from you regarding the £17,500 'contribution to the democratic process'.

Old 02-03-2011, 17:59   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I still haven't had my answer from you regarding the £17,500 'contribution to the democratic process'.
I honestly don't know Ken but could it have something to do with the referendum on polling day
Old 02-03-2011, 18:22   #44
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I honestly don't know Ken but could it have something to do with the referendum on polling day
Oh look, over there, some straws, lets clutch at them?

Surely if it was that simple they would proudly announce such a thing?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 18:38   #45
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
But ultimately it will be up to the voters.
And the majority who happen to be non-voters .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..